Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I bought this album in June , and I have not stopped playing it. I listen to every day on the way to and from work. The best thing they have done in years .Probably since Inferno.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sooo releases start kicking back in soon after the summer festival break.

Really looking forward to Caribou, Ty Segall, The Dead C, Electric Wizard and Esben.

Isn't Actress releasing something new as well?

Let me know what you think of that new Ty Segall, as he seems to have calmed down a little, which might result in more quality control.
And my contribution to forthcoming releases is that Shellac will be releasing their first new album in seven-and-a-half years in the middle of September.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Literature - Chorus: one for fans of indiepop. Fleeting, breezy songs of chiming, jangly guitars, power pop rather than psych. Opener threatens to become Town Called Malice and is less dreamy than the rest, which would appeal to fans of Slumberland bands. Good, consistent quality, some very nice moments. Won't change lives, but it'd be a shame to miss it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Jenny Lewis - The Voyager: if you like Jenny, chances are you'll love this. Easy-going musically, West Coast-ish laid-back well-produced guitar-based music (I'm going large on compound adjectives today), lyrically interesting (Jenny does seem to be a bit reflective), this exists in the lush plains where indie rock and indie pop meet soft rock. The tunes are good though, and the lyrics help mark this out as a superior product. An interesting mix - nice, summery music, autumnal lyrics.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just listened to Jenny Lewis -The Voyager, and really enjoyed it. Thanks Tinycowboy.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Really enjoying Alvvays album. 30 odd minutes of canadian indie pop. Great live too.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A few albums I've been digging recently.

Reigning Sound - Shattered

A garage/blues rock revival band great composition and lyrics.

Reigning Sound "Falling Rain" - 'Shattered' LP - …: http://youtu.be/cQaZ4hhghQo

Mirel Wagner - When the Children See the Light of Day

A finish singer songwriter bare bones dark and engaging.

Mirel Wagner - The Dirt (not the video): http://youtu.be/1OnYo4XQCNA

Spoon - They Want My Soul

Another great Spoon album, indie-pop.

Spoon - "Do You" (Official Music Video): http://youtu.be/fd6aXM8WHGw

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
First album was about 10 years ago (see below). Follow up due shortly.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Black Mist EP - Pye Corner Audio: title track is throbbing, purposeful, reminiscent of early Underworld at times. Percussion builds nicely, song opens up midway through with textured synths adding gloss, end in slightly menacing fashion, pausing for breath. Good accompaniment to archive footage of repetitive but fascinating industrial processes. Second track Bilk Erase opens in bucolic, nostalgic BoC style, but is underpinned by slowly morphing acid bass line and clanking, metallic percussion. Faux-orchestral interludes add to the reflective feel. Sorry - this is more of a description than a review. Old Apparatus remix of title track takes the unsettling coda and layers unidentifiable voices and noise on top to create a Twin Peaks atmosphere of impending disturbance. Overall, pretty good stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here