The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It'll have to wait a couple of days. First album was patchy, but oh what patches.

That first album is so of its time, from that mid-noughties indie-electro phase when We Smoke Fags could legitimately exist, that it's pretty much unlistenable now, with what was "glacial" now just tinny, like hearing through a tape recorder. Almost all of the bands who were involved have had dreadful comebacks, if at all (Klaxons are about to be the latest to sound horrendously dated), which makes the new album all the more impressive, I think. She's also amazing live.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That first album is so of its time, from that mid-noughties indie-electro phase when We Smoke Fags could legitimately exist, that it's pretty much unlistenable now, with what was "glacial" now just tinny, like hearing through a tape recorder. Almost all of the bands who were involved have had dreadful comebacks, if at all (Klaxons are about to be the latest to sound horrendously dated), which makes the new album all the more impressive, I think. She's also amazing live.

I never liked The Klaxons. They were flipping USELESS.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Amongst much indulgent vinyl I got a few 2014's for my 50th a few weeks ago: Luminous by The horrors is ok but not growing on me, Billy Bragg's tooth & Nail is great, Parquet Courts Sunbathing Animal sounds good but I'm hanging out for Morrissey's new one

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just got my hands on Enter by Fire Orchestra!
It's a recording of a performance that Spring Hall Convert posted a few months back, and is beautiful, and is straight into and high up in my year's top five which will almost certainly feature Swans and Neneh Cherry, and probably Angel Olsen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've been lucky enough to procure a review copy of the new Esben and The Witch album. Short version, it's album of the year material. It's like a menage a trois between Portishead, modern Swans and Shellac.

This is from someone who has always respected and admired previous Esben recordings but ultimately never really got on with them. It always seemed to me they were trying to be too clever, too obtuse, too cool. This record is just the 3 of them drums, bass, guitar and Rachel Davies amazing voice and they are 1,000,000 times better for it.

Out September 1st. " A New Nature."

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I've been lucky enough to procure a review copy of the new Esben and The Witch album. Short version, it's album of the year material. It's like a menage a trois between Portishead, modern Swans and Shellac.

This is from someone who has always respected and admired previous Esben recordings but ultimately never really got on with them. It always seemed to me they were trying to be too clever, too obtuse, too cool. This record is just the 3 of them drums, bass, guitar and Rachel Davies amazing voice and they are 1,000,000 times better for it.

Someone else has recommended it as well to me. Also what I heard a few months ago on Marc Riley impressed me.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

That's extremely exciting. Hooray

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Me now excited.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Will have to give that a go.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did I mention that they recorded it with Steve Albini as well. The production as you would expect is live sounding and crystal clear. Very little overdubbing, maximum tub thumping ferocity. Give the two tracks I posted above a listen, they should give a flavour (though No Dog has been rerecorded from the version above.)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Has anyone mentioned the Sunn/Scott Walker collab yet?

I can't really see how it's going to be anything other than brilliant. Wire's album of the year sown up right there.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Honeyblood - Honeyblood: I was attracted to this by the single Killer Bangs, which sounded like a C86 girl group colliding with Those Dancing Days. It's not a bad album, although it fades somewhat after track six ('Biro'). The album's a bit more polished than I expected - feels like a band being prepared for the 'big time'. For fans of Best Coast who would prefer a bolder guitar sound.

Alvvays - Alvvays: Pretty consistent, just about always hitting the "quite good" mark, except, of course for 'Archie, Marry Me', which is a classic summer pop anthem, surely destined for some end of year lists, which is just a great song. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] will love it to bits. The album is not dissimilar to Camera Obscura with echo-ier and louder guitars. Singer is like a cross between Traceyanne Campbell and Victoria Bergsman. A good 7.3ish out of 10 kind of album. 9.2 for the top track though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports