Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have 5 of the albums they've listed between 50 and 100, one of which; Adult Jazz is quite lovely, it reminds me of Aesgeir, the Icelandic chap who has collaborated with John Grant. The St Vincent album is pretty good too. I've got 9 of the albums from 1 to 49 and 3 of their top 10 (Swans, East India Youth, Grumbling Fur) of which only the Grumbling Fur album gets a regular listen. So...I've heard 14 of the Quietus top 100, that's a pretty high score for me compared with previous years!

Bit of a name-drop but I was chatting to the bass guitarist with Fujiya and Miyagi and he recommended that Gazelle Twin album but in my drunken haze I'd forgotten the name of the band. I must check it out now, thanks SHC for the heads-up.

I've got 12 of the top 20. Familiar with 32 of the whole list so even someone who really follows them isn't that knowledgable about the list as a whole. I'd expect to have at least 80% of Pitchfork's list when it comes out.

The Katie Gately album at 7 is well worth a listen as well. One of the most original things I heard all year.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Here's a useful website for the latest end of year lists from various sites.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/lists.php

And they even have an aggregate list with the ubiquitous WoD in number 1 slot.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2014/

Blimey - the things some people put in their lists. That NME one used to be vitally important to me, but I'm over it now. I know I should let people get on with liking what they like and letting me like what I like, but I struggle to understand some choices - but I'll let it go (eg I will not bother looking into who thought the U2 album was the best of the year).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Blimey - the things some people put in their lists. That NME one used to be vitally important to me, but I'm over it now. I know I should let people get on with liking what they like and letting me like what I like, but I struggle to understand some choices - but I'll let it go (eg I will not bother looking into who thought the U2 album was the best of the year).

Got to be Q hasn't it?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Jesus, I know music is Subjective but what an absolute pile of shit that list is. It's almost like it's an elaborate practical joke.

War of Drugs not in their top 10? My Krazy Life in there, when I can name at least 10 better hip-hop albums that didn't make the list. U2 first? Taylor Swift and Lana Del Ray in their top 11?

FFS, what's the point in living?

Lists FTW.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to this and includes a couple of interesting remixes of album tracks.

I may have mentioned this before but Barry Burns and his wife own and run a bar over here. It's a pretty cool place and has an amazing jukebox made up of mixtapes his, mainly Scottish, famous muso chums have made specifically for him. It also sells a number of Scottish craft beers, and Walkers salt-and-vinegar crisps. In a seas of paprika chips, this latter point is important to me.

Not been there for a few months now and this post has reminded me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And U2 with half a billion 'sales'?

Yes, exactly.

I may have mentioned this before but Barry Burns and his wife own and run a bar over here. It's a pretty cool place and has an amazing jukebox made up of mixtapes his, mainly Scottish, famous muso chums have made specifically for him. It also sells a number of Scottish craft beers, and Walkers salt-and-vinegar crisps. In a seas of paprika chips, this latter point is important to me.

Not been there for a few months now and this post has reminded me.

That IS cool.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay. Where do I begin with Swans? I know little about them but have been advised that I'd most probably like them. Do I start at the beginning?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That IS cool.

" We have a wonderful jukebox which holds playlists which have been very kindly created by a whole host of musicians, artists, novelists, comedians and directors, inlcuding Robert Smith from The Cure, Pavement, The Smiths, Interpol, Errors, Mogwai, Irvine Welsh, Susan Phillipz and many more... "

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Firstly, for back catlogue stuff I tend to go to allmusic for their view. If you don't know it, it's a great site http://www.allmusic.com/artist/swans-mn0000034988/discography

Early Swans (83-86)

Ugly, nihilisitc, malevolevent, grinding, slow, oppresive battery. Swans set out to be the most extreme band in the world and they succeeded. Remarkable, that unlike lots of "extreme" music, it still sounds brutal today.

Gothic Rock (87-92)

Many consider Children of God ('87) to be the best Swans album. It certainly began the process of them peering out from the underground. The involvement of Jarboe was essential to this.

They were hit and miss during this phase - indeed Gira has disowned The Burning World (89), their one and only major label record. However, White Light From The Mouth of Infinity ('91) was the record that got me into them, a great starting place IMHO.

Post Rock (1995-97)
Gira became bored of the LOUDEST band in the world tag and sought to involve more texture based songwriting. The Great Annihilator ('95) is a great transitional album before they nailed this sound on Soundtracks For The blind ('97).

Swans Are Not Dead (2010-2014)
The reformed Swans are the perfect amalgamation of all that previously made them such a special band. The fury of early Swans, the melody of mid-period Swans and the fearsome scope of late Swans. It's very rare for a reformed band to achieve this. In retrospect My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to The Sky ('10) well recieved at the time is a little dissppointing of the context that went after it. It had some of the strongest songs of their career though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here