Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I would say so. Ady got rather moist when he was showing me he had Steves contact details.

And rightly so. You must ask him about that goal against Birmingham at the south end of the Goldstone - yes, I was a teenager, yes I was foolish but that's probably the most NUTS I've ever gone at a game.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ha! El P - Always a good Roar.

My query. Whats KP's thoughts on where we might be 2013/14 wise in terms of the Playing Budget league... ? (ie: wages) - hard i know cos not all clubs have released accounts.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
I would be interested to know if the figures dictate whether the club can operate on vastly reduced gates. By way of illustration, Bayern Munich charge peanuts for a season ticket. If ST's drop to 8k and match day sales to 4k. What impact does that have on the club?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would be interested to know if the figures dictate whether the club can operate on vastly reduced gates. By way of illustration, Bayern Munich charge peanuts for a season ticket. If ST's drop to 8k and match day sales to 4k. What impact does that have on the club?

It would cost the club just under £6 million in lost revenue, on the figures you have quoted.
Relegation to League 1 would cost another £4 million in lost TV money. All this is before taking into account reductions in catering, merchandise and commercial income.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ha! El P - Always a good Roar.

My query. Whats KP's thoughts on where we might be 2013/14 wise in terms of the Playing Budget league... ? (ie: wages) - hard i know cos not all clubs have released accounts.

My gut reaction is that we were behind Leicester, QPR (both promoted), Wigan (playoffs), Forest (who gambled and lost, and now subject to FFP sanctions), Blackburn, Bolton (both in receipt of parachute payments), so seventh.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
It would cost the club just under £6 million in lost revenue, on the figures you have quoted.
Relegation to League 1 would cost another £4 million in lost TV money. All this is before taking into account reductions in catering, merchandise and commercial income.

Pretty significant then and requiring Uncle Tony to dig deep. I asked the question because upwards of 40% of the ST holders I'm aware of are not renewing and will pick and choose thier games next year. Interesting times ahead!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pretty significant then and requiring Uncle Tony to dig deep. I asked the question because upwards of 40% of the ST holders I'm aware of are not renewing and will pick and choose thier games next year. Interesting times ahead!

A crude calculation is that the club will lose £1 million in revenue for every 3,000 reduction in average attendance.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My question for El(vis) Pres(ley) is how he views our player budget, given the substantial sales of Ulloa and Buckley in the summer (+£10m, perhaps up to c£12m), following on from those of Bridcutt and Barnes in the previous transfer window (c£4m). In that time, to the best of my knowledge, we've spent on:
Stephens c£700,000
Stockdale c£1m
O'Grady c£500,000
Baldock c£1.5m
Kayal c£400,000
Can you correct any of these figures if you know better, and indicate what it means for our accounts in both 2013/14 and 2014/15, and what it might mean for the summer 2015 transfer window in terms of outlay (and, within this, what developments are in terms of the ratio of expenditure on: transfer fees vs wages).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My question for El(vis) Pres(ley) is how he views our player budget, given the substantial sales of Ulloa and Buckley in the summer (+£10m, perhaps up to c£12m), following on from those of Bridcutt and Barnes in the previous transfer window (c£4m). In that time, to the best of my knowledge, we've spent on:
Stephens c£700,000
Stockdale c£1m
O'Grady c£500,000
Baldock c£1.5m
Kayal c£400,000
Can you correct any of these figures if you know better, and indicate what it means for our accounts in both 2013/14 and 2014/15, and what it might mean for the summer 2015 transfer window in terms of outlay (and, within this, what developments are in terms of the ratio of expenditure on: transfer fees vs wages).

If you take a look at transfers in this division, last season 21 out of 24 clubs made a profit on player sales.

There is the issue of revenue falling next season too, as I would expect attendances to fall by at least 10% unless we start the season like a train, and therefore there will be caution in terms of transfer spend. It's far better to get a decent player on a Bosman and pay him a fair wedge than become obsessed with reinvesting all the sales proceeds, remember Palace sold Zaha for £15 million, didn't spend all of it despite promotion and still finished 11th last season in the PL.

We will have CMS off the wage bill, although my sources indicate he's on a out the same as COG, at about £13,000 a week.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A crude calculation is that the club will lose £1 million in revenue for every 3,000 reduction in average attendance.

Which begs the question why when it was evident to everyone that we were basically plunging to the bottom of the table they didnt sack sami. And even when he did the decent thing and resigned they tried to get him to stay.

If he had stayed (one way or the other) we would be well adrift by now probably planning a L1 campaign.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Love your work guys - essential listening here in Oz. I'm also a big Steve Penney fan. Watching him and Saunders beat Portsmouth on Boxing Day 1985 is one of my all time favourite Albion memories.

As a numbers man myself I am also big fan of El Presidente's work. Sorry I have left this until the last minute but lots of questions.

Where does the manager's salary sit in the accounts? What happens to any dimissal payouts? And just how much does a typical Championship manager get paid?

When you mention weekly salaries (e.g. COG, CMS), does that include bonuses? Any idea what proportion of the wage bill goes on "variable costs" rather than guaranteed amounts?. I could imagine it is substantial. If CMS is close to our highest earner on just 13,000 a week it is hard to see what makes up the rest of the "football costs". I think I once saw EP's likely breakdown of the total wages bill across unnamed individuals and I'd love to see that again. (e.g. Manager gets this much, top five paid players this much, next ten first team regulars this much etc. etc.).

I suspect you have posted this before, but whenever people talk about the revenue pot of gold from the Premier League, they tend to forget about the costs. How do Premier League wage bills (from published accounts) compare with the Championship? And how many Premier league clubs made a profit last year? How long would it take TB to recoup his 250 million investment if it was just on profits made while in the premier League?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Love your work guys - essential listening here in Oz. I'm also a big Steve Penney fan. Watching him and Saunders beat Portsmouth on Boxing Day 1985 is one of my all time favourite Albion memories.

As a numbers man myself I am also big fan of El Presidente's work. Sorry I have left this until the last minute but lots of questions.

Where does the manager's salary sit in the accounts? What happens to any dimissal payouts? And just how much does a typical Championship manager get paid?

When you mention weekly salaries (e.g. COG, CMS), does that include bonuses? Any idea what proportion of the wage bill goes on "variable costs" rather than guaranteed amounts?. I could imagine it is substantial. If CMS is close to our highest earner on just 13,000 a week it is hard to see what makes up the rest of the "football costs". I think I once saw EP's likely breakdown of the total wages bill across unnamed individuals and I'd love to see that again. (e.g. Manager gets this much, top five paid players this much, next ten first team regulars this much etc. etc.).

I suspect you have posted this before, but whenever people talk about the revenue pot of gold from the Premier League, they tend to forget about the costs. How do Premier League wage bills (from published accounts) compare with the Championship? And how many Premier league clubs made a profit last year? How long would it take TB to recoup his 250 million investment if it was just on profits made while in the premier League?

1: Manager's salary is embedded within overall wages and salaries, and included as part of 'football costs'. Difficult to work out an average salary, but would expect it to be in the region of £300,000, but Harry Redknapp last season at QPR would have been on substantially more, with substantial incentives for reaching playoffs, and a massive one for promotion (Gus was on £500k for example, which is why I always question those who say he wasn't bothered about us winning against Palace).

2: There was no disclosure of the payout to former members of the management team (i.e. Gus, Tanno, and Chas) in the accounts, in theory, that's because the sum paid wasn't significant.

3: The average wage bill in the PL in 2013 was £89 million, I would expect a 6-7% rise in this for last season. Three clubs (City, United and Chelsea), exceeded £200 million. The average in the Championship was £19 million. The wage/revenue ratio for the Championship was 106% (the Albion's was 90%).

I did (a somewhat crude) breakdown of the Albion wages last season, and the average cost for a player came out at £7,800 a week. There is a lot of variation on this though (Ashley Barnes was on half this for example).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Must say I'm a new convert to the Roar and been listening to on podcast since mid December.

I love it, brilliant show and work by all and to be commended. The Sarah Watts special was also wonderful and incredibly moving. Liz, you did your friend proud there. Top marks people, long may it continue. Essential entertaining listening.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Must say I'm a new convert to the Roar and been listening to on podcast since mid December.

I love it, brilliant show and work by all and to be commended. The Sarah Watts special was also wonderful and incredibly moving. Liz, you did your friend proud there. Top marks people, long may it continue. Essential entertaining listening.

Cheers, bloke.

There's a whole host of archive shows on the Roar website for your to devour. www.albionroar.co.uk :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here