Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Our 39th (I miscounted) and final Albion Roar of 2014 (Dec 20) is now available as a podcast on iTunes and at www.albionroar.co.uk.

As well as the 39 shows, this year we also had five 'World Cup Roar' shows (what a great tournament that was...) and 2 'Move On Up' fillers during the summer, plus a small amount of disruption while Radio Reverb spread its wings and moved into some much nicer studios in central Brighton.

Thanks to everyone who has tuned in, listened on podcast, commented, suggested, gushed or howled at us or any of our 37 guests this year.

We appreciate all the feedback we can get. so, hey! - if you don't like what we're doing, tell us. If you do like it, tell others!

We love doing the show - and we certainly appreciate the support and the editorial freedom given to us by the brilliant Radio Reverb 97.2FM - and hope that you get a certain amount of pleasure hearing our fellow Albion fan guests' opinions, observations and tales of life at home and on the road following the super Seagulls.

If you like what Reverb is doing, feel free to go on to their website - www.radioreverb.com - and hit the 'Donate' button. The station is a not-for-profit organisation, run entirely by volunteers. Any funding we gratefully receive goes towards bills, licences and training. Thank you.

Meanwhile, we'll be back - like it or lump it - on Saturday 3 January 2015 at 12pm. Our shows are also repeated on Monday mornings at 9am on Radio Reverb 97.2FM. You can also download the podcast, or better still - why not subscribe to the podcast to receive the show automatically...?

If you have any suggestions for guests or features, or comments generally, do let us know here on Facebook or email thealbionroar@yahoo.co.uk, or follow us on Twitter [MENTION=21711]Albionroar[/MENTION]

Meanwhile, from Reverb and the Roar, have yourselves a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as we try to anaesthetise some of the pain we inflict upon ourselves in watching the Albion by doing something silly with a dead turkey and a bottle of rum.

See you in 2015.

Cheers, Ady & Al

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just listened to the 2014 review - an enjoyable recollection of the calendar year. However, you 3 must've been really hammered watching some of the time, particularly the final day. It was by no means over at Reading when Leo scored. In fact, my main memory of the day was switching channels while the players were still going mental by the corner flag, and seeing Reading having a chance cleared off the line! There were another 3-4 mins of squeaky bum time to endure as well - I wish for my own health that I had thought that that game had finished!

Going to listen to the special now while sitting at my desk and doing lots and lots of work - honest.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just as a catch-up to what we've been up to.

Vicki Lank came in as our guest on 3 January, while Marcus 'Sir Rantsalot' Hancocks and (finally) Dave Haustead (once know as Guinness Dave) made an appearance on 10 January in a show hosted by original presenter Richie Parker. Ady had the lurgy.

Liz Costa came into the studio yesterday (Tuesday) to record a tribute to her best friend Sarah Watts, including talking about how they first met, their roles during the 'dark days', and her friendshp with her. And a screaming match with David Bellotti in the Walsall car park in 1996.

All are available at www.albionroar.co.uk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just as a catch-up to what we've been up to.

Vicki Lank came in as our guest on 3 January, while Marcus 'Sir Rantsalot' Hancocks and (finally) Dave Haustead (once know as Guinness Dave) made an appearance on 10 January in a show hosted by original presenter Richie Parker. Ady had the lurgy.

Liz Costa came into the studio yesterday (Tuesday) to record a tribute to her best friend Sarah Watts, including talking about how they first met, their roles during the 'dark days', and her friendshp with her. And a screaming match with David Bellotti in the Walsall car park in 1996.

All are available at www.albionroar.co.uk

The Liz Costa one is well worth a listen*, those two (Sarah Watts & Liz Costa) were instrumental in a number of actions that led to saving our club, and getting the ***** out of our club. A lot went on in those days, probably a lot more than what we think, and we do have a lot to be grateful for to Watts/Costa/Samra/Baine/Carder and many more.

* They're all well worth a listen, Dave was pretty good value, even if Sir Rantsalot was holding onto him under the table!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Last night I listened to the Roar from 2 January 2010, the one with Chris Cattlin as guest.

Undoubtedly the finest Roar I have heard. What a cracking fella Catts is. I did note at the end he said he would be happy to come back on, so why haven't you asked him yet?

Come on boys, get him on!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last night I listened to the Roar from 2 January 2010, the one with Chris Cattlin as guest.

Undoubtedly the finest Roar I have heard. What a cracking fella Catts is. I did note at the end he said he would be happy to come back on, so why haven't you asked him yet?

He was fantastic. Still my all-time favourite show (tied with John Vinicombe).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Strangely, I listened to that one today as well! It is a cracker.
Been some particularly good ones recently - the Dave/Mohammed one is a goodie. The Liz Costa podcast is excellent.
Also tried listening to the Calde one several times but it seems to cut off - am not sure if that is my downloads or the recording. the Gary Chivers one did too.
Shall listen to todays on the way to work tomorrow

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Strangely, I listened to that one today as well! It is a cracker.
Been some particularly good ones recently - the Dave/Mohammed one is a goodie. The Liz Costa podcast is excellent.
Also tried listening to the Calde one several times but it seems to cut off - am not sure if that is my downloads or the recording. the Gary Chivers one did too.
Shall listen to todays on the way to work tomorrow

Did you download them or stream them?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The Liz Costa one is well worth a listen*, those two (Sarah Watts & Liz Costa) were instrumental in a number of actions that led to saving our club, and getting the ***** out of our club. A lot went on in those days, probably a lot more than what we think, and we do have a lot to be grateful for to Watts/Costa/Samra/Baine/Carder and many more.

* They're all well worth a listen, Dave was pretty good value, even if Sir Rantsalot was holding onto him under the table!

The Liz Costa podcast is a very moving and informative podcast, hats off all round and beautifully done.

Slightly off topic here but Liz mentioned an 'elderly' lady called Peggy Thick, who was involved.

Was this the same Peggy Thick that I knew well as a teenager 35 years ago, I wonder?

She was also a massive Albion fan who had a son called Andy. She lived in Hangleton and adored Elvis Presley.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
He was fantastic. Still my all-time favourite show (tied with John Vinicombe).
Had forgotten the Vinicombe one - that was a cracker too.

So, when are going to get Catt back on?!?!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Had forgotten the Vinicombe one - that was a cracker too.

So, when are going to get Catt back on?!?!

I don't know. He hasn't really done anything Albion related since that recording.

One thing we're considering is a Roar recording in front of a studio audience - it might work, it might not. But if we do, I'd like to do shows like Harty and Mayo; Catts and Rollings; Chippy and Danny - that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I don't know. He hasn't really done anything Albion related since that recording.

One thing we're considering is a Roar recording in front of a studio audience - it might work, it might not. But if we do, I'd like to do shows like Harty and Mayo; Catts and Rollings; Chippy and Danny - that sort of thing.

I was lucky enough to meet Catt in the BUPA lounge a couple of seasons ago (along with Steve Piper and Tony Vessey) and I can tell you he has a few more stories to tell.

If you don't ask him, he won't come!

I like the idea of the audience participation one too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here