Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albion let down disabled supporters tonight

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm at a loss to understand why it has to be the disabled supporters who have to move. Why not 40 cars driven by people who could much more easily be relocated?

I would take a guess that the only other candidates are the 1901s and they probably have a much stronger contract and might threaten legal action (and I would assume many would have the means to go through with it).

I would take a guess that the only other candidates are the 1901s and they probably have a much stronger contract and might threaten legal action (and I would assume many would have the means to go through with it).
If disabled supporters could demonstrate that the Albion were unreasonably discriminating against them (and I'm not saying that this is in fact the case), they have the option of getting the Equality and Human Rights Commission's Disability Committee to take up the case on their behalf. That could be a very effective route.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Without getting into the particular issues surrounding this situation, it should be noted that blue badges are issued for all manner of conditions, not just wheelchair users or those with lower limb mobility issues.

Someone who has an autistic child, for example. Parking a few metres further away might not inconvenience them that much, as opposed to someone who walks with sticks. A friend of mine was unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour at the age of 21. Following treatment (happily successful), he was prone to very occasional epileptic fits, and was given a blue badge as a result. He'd have been perfectly able to walk the extra distance- he would have said the same himself.

As only one poster on this thread has actually been directly affected by this issue, it seems hard to judge the actual impact of what's happened, but let's not automatically assume that the club have left 40 wheelchair users or people on crutches with a massive walk to the stadium...

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
sorry but 300k is more important than 40 car spaces, im sure a little extra walk is not going to be hard even if disable (im not being a **** for saying this as my mum is disabled with a blue badge for parking)

I'm sorry, but I find that remark both offensive and uneducated. I don't personally use the disabled spaces, as I am lucky to be a short mobility scooter ride away from the ground. But after all the problems regarding parking for those who need it most, I think the club has scored an own goal. As for the cameras, There were disabled fans sitting behind other disabled people and unable to see properly, (remember that we are all on one level, unlike the seats which obviously stepped up) I just hope that the club will get these issues sorted, because I really fear that some disabled supporters may not renew their season ticket, which will be a real shame for both parties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here