Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I wouldn't believe anything these rags write, all been totally wrong about everything so far concerning this deal

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Wow, this deal almost fell into our lap. We must be in a worse financial position than I thought if we can't seal this deal.

Sad times seagulls! :moo:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If it is true and Town will only deal with Boro over this cause the deal suits them, I'd tell them to do one if I were Clayton, run down my contract , leave for free and pick up a better deal for myself next season.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I have to say if we sell Buckley and can't get a few decent deals over the line soon I may consider wetting the bed! I am not prone to that kind of reaction either!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
There are times I wonder if we really do want to sign these players? or whether we do just enough to get ourselves linked to them to make it look like the club are trying to sign some quality players when in reality the aim all along is just to bring in a few loans?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
There are times I wonder if we really do want to sign these players? or whether we do just enough to get ourselves linked to them to make it look like the club are trying to sign some quality players when in reality the aim all along is just to bring in a few loans?

That would seem like a terrible plan surely? It only serves to get fans hopes up, the players don't come then discontent creeps in! I'd the club are being honest with us (pointing to Blooms quote) cause as a fanbase we spend A LOT of money and have shown massive faith in the club over the bad and good times.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Can hardly blame the club if the Yorkshire monkies wouldn't listen to our offer as it says in that article.

They would have listened if we'd got in early before Middlesbrough put their offer in.

This is just another sign that there are some serious issues behind the scenes at our club.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003

Whatever the truth, we're clearly not doing enough to persuade people this is the place to be, no matter how good our facilities and stadium. It strikes me the emotional element is the bit that's missing - it's easy to hark back to Poyet, but he always walked off the pitch with an arm over the opposition's best players at the end of the match - and guess what, we ended up signing people like Ulloa, Upson, CMS and Will Buckley quite soon afterwards.

Our approach to signing players seems to be very cold and emotionless (poker-playing?). I'm sure David Burke is a superb analyst, and no doubt negotiates well - but there's no substitute for a passionate manager saying "you're my man and I'm going to back you...".

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I really can't see us getting the 5 quality players we need for a play off push this season. Clayton would of been a good start. It look as though we are just not prepered to spend the same money as rival clubs will.

Won't match Boro's fee for Clayton, Can't agree a fee for Baldock/Ward. And i'm sure theres others that we don't know about.

Going to be a long season, that could see us dragged into a relagation battle i'm afraid.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
So it looks like he wanted to come here but we failed to put an acceptable bid in. Yet another transfer f**k up by the club.

Agreed; and you couldn't make it up. I fear we are going to draw a blank on further transfers before the deadline closes and there will only be only party to blame for that.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
People need to stop jumping to conclusions, I'm sure the Club acted in the proper way with relation to this deal. The unknown entity is the player agent and we all know they are conniving *****.

How do we know it wasn't the agent that leaked the 'clayton wants Brighton' news to try and get us to offer an improved deal. You just don't know what to believe, I wouldn't so readily criticise the club.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
That would seem like a terrible plan surely? It only serves to get fans hopes up, the players don't come then discontent creeps in! I'd the club are being honest with us (pointing to Blooms quote) cause as a fanbase we spend A LOT of money and have shown massive faith in the club over the bad and good times.

It would be a terrible plan but I can't think of another reason for the lack of investment in the playing squad so far, The Stockdale signing proves they can do it when they really want to but then deals for the likes of Clayton and Baldock always leave you feeling that the club don't really want to get them over the line.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I really can't see us getting the 5 quality players we need for a play off push this season. Clayton would of been a good start. It look as though we are just not prepered to spend the same money as rival clubs will.

Won't match Boro's fee for Clayton, Can't agree a fee for Baldock/Ward. And i'm sure theres others that we don't know about.

Going to be a long season, that could see us dragged into a relegation battle i'm afraid.

I think you're right but it looks as if the club are going to take the risk with what we've got, at least until the January transfer window. Let's hope it's not too late by then. If it is, the club will only have itself to blame.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Whatever the truth, we're clearly not doing enough to persuade people this is the place to be, no matter how good our facilities and stadium. It strikes me the emotional element is the bit that's missing - it's easy to hark back to Poyet, but he always walked off the pitch with an arm over the opposition's best players at the end of the match - and guess what, we ended up signing people like Ulloa, Upson, CMS and Will Buckley quite soon afterwards.

Our approach to signing players seems to be very cold and emotionless (poker-playing?). I'm sure David Burke is a superb analyst, and no doubt negotiates well - but there's no substitute for a passionate manager saying "you're my man and I'm going to back you...".

Very much this. When we signed players in the Poyet days, time and time again we heard "i spoke to Gus, i really wanted to play for him" or "Gus told me his idea" etc.

What can Burke say to these players? "We want you, but don't want to pay you much.."

The manager now doesn't even meet the player until they turn up to training. Not a good approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here