Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
According to the Argus he is signing for Middlesbrough today so that's that then.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11402773._/

Hopefully that will be the end of this nonsense. Don't think he was ever going to come here anyway ss he was too expensive and probably played a wages game which we would lose anyway between the clubs. Onto page 10 of possible targets now then junior league u12 must be someone there we can afford

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In that article it says that he's going there for a medical for the third time of asking, not having appeared for the previous two. I'm not sure that he's a reliable sort of player, that would be good for our team. He has footballing skills but he's not exactly a loyal type.

How so?

Maybe he just doesn't want to join Middlesbrough and would prefer to join us?

As it is, i can't see why Boro still want him when he seems pretty unkeen to join them

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Was told earlier he wants to sign for us but Huddersfield won't allow him to move here despite the fact they initially agreed a price & he agreed personal terms in 'principle', Boro then made the Butterfield offer and his hand is being forced despite the fact he doesn't want to move there.

It's a farce tbh, we need to move on.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Was told earlier he wants to sign for us but Huddersfield won't allow him to move here despite the fact they initially agreed a price & he agreed personal terms in 'principle', Boro then made the Butterfield offer and his hand is being forced despite the fact he doesn't want to move there.

It's a farce tbh, we need to move on.

if that was the case surely he would just refuse to move and threaten to run his contract down unless they let him come here. all a bit odd i think.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
This might have nothing to do with our ambition or willingness to do what it takes to get Clayton. Huddersfield won't sell Clayton until they have a replacement. Boro won't sell Butterfield until they have a replacement. Perhaps we we can do a 3-way deal and give Kemy to Boro for free, even if we have to continue paying Kemy's wages for another year.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Am I being a little controversial here and I formed this opinion before he joins or not, why do we need another central midfielder ?, we have loads, Ince, Crofts, JFC, Stephens, Kemy, and a couple of good young ones coming through, rather spend money on a good defender or forward. Don't think Clayton is better than what we got to be honest.

D

Deleted member 22389

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He hasn't signed. It's disappointing but hey ho. What's more concerning is he's failed to turn up for a Boro medical twice. He presumably wants to join us and yet we cannot get it over the line? If it's wages and FFP then fair enough, but I think we deserve to be informed why this one hasn't happened...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
By the sounds of things we can't get it over the line because huddersfield are refusing to deal with us as dealing with Middlesbrough and getting Butterfield suits them better

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is the longest thread we've ever had about a player who hasn't played for us, doesn't play for us and is never going to play for us?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The rumour going around on Twatter is that he failed to turn up for his medical today. Probably only a rumour though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here