Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have absolutely no inside knowledge on this one, and I'm not suggesting the same is happening but it all feels a bit like the CMS signing.

He was going to Leicester or West Ham and we didn't have a chance, supposedly. And then up he popped.

(Clayton was training with Huddersfield again today)

IF he told Huddersfield his preference was Boro it's nowhere near the same scenario though. We were a club very much on the up who had given CMS team a complete run around at London Road the previous season as we won the Championship. One comment on the day from A Peterborough fan was "**** me I didn't realise we were playing Real Madrid" after the game. We had a fantastic new stadium, we'd gone up a division and whatever you think of him now, a very charismatic manager who appeared to have the Midas touch. We were a club on a stellar upswing as we moved from Withdean.

We are now a club who struggle to sign players above League One except on loan and much as I like the idea I can't see a CMS scenario here.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I have absolutely no inside knowledge on this one, and I'm not suggesting the same is happening but it all feels a bit like the CMS signing.

He was going to Leicester or West Ham and we didn't have a chance, supposedly. And then up he popped.

It does feel like that doesn't it, I don't expect the same outcome tbh but, if it was as done as people think I would have expected him to be at boro to complete the deal, rather than training with Huddersfield.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Good post. It still wouldn't surprise me if he signed for us.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
IF he told Huddersfield his preference was Boro

That's a pretty big if, he may or may not have said that but the only place I have seen this reported was in boro's local paper. Creative licensing springs to mind.

Reminds me of the famous Gus quote that he was going to build the team around CMS, I never saw this in an interview from Gus, only from Adrian Durham, who was probably trying to come to terms with why their star player was joining us ahead of Leicester or West Ham.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's a pretty big if, he may or may not have said that but the only place I have seen this reported was in boro's local paper. Creative licensing springs to mind.

Reminds me of the famous Gus quote that he was going to build the team around CMS, I never saw this in an interview from Gus, only from Adrian Durham, who was probably trying to come to terms with why their star player was joining us ahead of Leicester or West Ham.

True, hence the capitalisation of IF. I would , of course, be delighted if he chose us over Boro, the bearded **** :smile:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Agustein, although not consistent, was brilliant on his going days for Swansea. Let's give him a chance to show what he can do and hope he takes it.

This is true. And encouragingly, as I've said before, he was pretty much our best player in the recent Southampton friendly (although, I do admit, he didn't have much competition for that)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We are now a club who struggle to sign players above League One except on loan.

No offence, but that's basicall a load of bollocks, isn't it?

Who have we signed in the last three windows, and how many were from League One?

Upson (Prem)
Ulloa (Spanish second tier)
Toko (Swiss top tier)
O'Grady (Championship)
Stephens (Championship)
Rodriguez (Spanish second tier)
Agustien (Prem)
Stockdale (Prem)
Hughes (Prem)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I can picture David Burke peering over a hedge at their training ground trying to gain his attention and making the "give us a bell" hand gesture :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Who have we signed in the last three windows, and how many were from League One?

Upson (Prem)
Toko (Swiss top tier)
O'Grady (Championship)
Stephens (Championship)
Agustien (Prem)
Stockdale (Prem)
Hughes (Prem)

And there you go ruining the thread with actual FACTS :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Upson (Prem)
Toko (Swiss top tier)
O'Grady (Championship)
Stephens (Championship)
Agustien (Prem)
Stockdale (Prem)
Hughes (Prem)

I was talking about our current situation, not going back to Poyet.

Stockdale - Championship - good signing
Hughes - Championship - probably a good signing
Toko - no idea if he is any good tbh
O' Grady - League One

Turned down by a number of Championship players allegedly and by the club's own admission struggling to sign our main targets. I am assuming that these are Championship quality

I would say we are struggling to sign Championship quality players at the moment given how light we are after the release of so many players, just two days before the season starts.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
True, hence the capitalisation of IF. I would , of course, be delighted if he chose us over Boro, the bearded **** :smile:

:lolol: absolutely, if he joins boro, then the beard is quite clearly hiding a multitude of spots and ugliness that makes him totally unsuitable for our side. If however he joins us then that is one fine piece of manhair grooming:thumbsup::thumbsup:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
There was some talk on twitter I think that Clayton was holding out for wages of around 20K per week! not sure how true but that could well be the stumbling block with Boro!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
There was some talk on twitter I think that Clayton was holding out for wages of around 20K per week! not sure how true but that could well be the stumbling block with Boro!

Would certainly be more than a stumbling block with us!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Isn't it all about Boro wanting to throw in a player to cover part of the fee, and the player in question doesn't want to go to Huddersfield ???

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Isn't it all about Boro wanting to throw in a player to cover part of the fee, and the player in question doesn't want to go to Huddersfield ???

Almost. From what I gather the announcement is to be made when the Butterfield paperwork is all sorted. That's the only delay.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That is just plain lying.

Not really, since January I would say it's pretty factual. We have captured two Championship players and released half a team. Seems pretty obvious to me that we are struggling to entice Championship quality players here.

Edit why am I getting a thumbs down on this post, have I missed our quality signings to replace those released MONTHS ago? :smile:

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
He would not resign for Huddersfield because he wants £20k a week,would we pay that?

That quote came from a Huddersfield fan on their message board who probably knows as little about player wages as anyone on here, he won't get that at Huddersfield, Brighton or Middlesboro, that ship has sailed for championship clubs without parachute payments IMO, and probably for most clubs with them too.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Not really, since January I would say it's pretty factual. We have captured two Championship players and released half a team. Seems pretty obvious to me that we are struggling to entice Championship quality players here.

It most certainly does and anyone who suggests otherwise needs their head tested. Brighton would appear to be anything but a popular choice for Championship players wishing to further their careers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Our most recent signing was a Premier League first choice goalkeeper in 2013/14. Why was he attracted to the club ?
Aaron Hughes is one of the most experience Prem League defenders in its history. How come he was "enticed" to sign ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here