Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2022/mar/28/chris-rock-comedy-career-will-smith

Interesting article here on Chris Rock's place in the comedy world. He certainly was brilliant at one time.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

I read that yesterday. He is basically saying that Rock was once young, hungry, and relevant, but is now old, comfortable.and less relevant. That's no surprise. It happens to virtually all comedians. I've seen the same article written about Seinfeld & Chappelle.

The article says that years ago, an awards show producer would kill to get one of them to host. That's not true. Awards shows don't want cutting edge, relevant comedy, they want showbiz chumminess. They wouldn't trust a cutting edge comedian. In UK terms they want cuddly 2020s Johnny Vegas, not scary 1990s Johnny.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I read that yesterday. He is basically saying that Rock was once young, hungry, and relevant, but is now old, comfortable.and less relevant. That's no surprise. It happens to virtually all comedians. I've seen the same article written about Seinfeld & Chappelle.

The article says that years ago, an awards show producer would kill to get one of them to host. That's not true. Awards shows don't want cutting edge, relevant comedy, they want showbiz chumminess. They wouldn't trust a cutting edge comedian. In UK terms they want cuddly 2020s Johnny Vegas, not scary 1990s Johnny.

I think that tide might turn as surely they must realise it is unsustainable that like 3 people tune in to watch this award ceremony.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have worked in security for fun for many years.

So I dare say I've seen up close more times than you perhaps how this crap kicks off. Female violence is on the rise big time.

Cuckold originates from the 1500's, so hardly a new word.

Surely you should be working on a better job description for your CV, say a 'Door Praetorian' :thumbsup:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Well, I reckon that if Will Smith's wife doesn't like jokes about alopecia, then that's hair loss.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I reckon that if Will Smith's wife doesn't like jokes about alopecia, then that's hair loss.

giphy.gif

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Will Smith has resigned from the Oscars Academy after slapping comedian Chris Rock on stage during last Sunday's ceremony.

"My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable," his statement said.

The Academy said it accepted the resignation and would "continue to move forward" with disciplinary proceedings.

"The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home," Smith said on Friday.

"I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken."

The actor said he wanted to "put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements".

He concluded that "change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason".

The Academy's president David Rubin said it had accepted Smith's resignation, but would continue disciplinary proceedings that could lead to more sanctions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60963054

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
In the States the Academy Awards are fairly obsolete. Who needs them except the actors, directors, tech staff, etc.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The first acting awards nominations announced are for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and there are some big names in there.

• Sterling K Brown - American Fiction
  • Robert De Niro - Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Robert Downey Jr. - Oppenheimer
  • Ryan Gosling - Barbie
  • Mark Ruffalo - Poor Things

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Best Supporting Actress nominations:

• Emily Blunt - Oppenheimer
  • Danielle Brooks - The Color Purple
  • America Ferrera - Barbie
  • Jodie Foster - Nyad
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph - The Holdovers

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The first acting awards nominations announced are for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and there are some big names in there.

• Sterling K Brown - American Fiction
  • Robert De Niro - Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Robert Downey Jr. - Oppenheimer
  • Ryan Gosling - Barbie
  • Mark Ruffalo - Poor Things

Best Supporting Actress nominations:

• Emily Blunt - Oppenheimer
  • Danielle Brooks - The Color Purple
  • America Ferrera - Barbie
  • Jodie Foster - Nyad
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph - The Holdovers

My votes are for Sterling K Brown (huge proponent of St Louis where he was born) and America Ferrera, yes, Barbie line about women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here