Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That's how you deal with racism at a match

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
The stewards at the ground should be proactive in dealing with this sort of thing. Clearly this is not the case in Italy so the player took the matter into his own hands. I really hope that this leads to more proactive stewarding against racist, homophobic whatever chanting. We are in the 21st Century not the dark ages (pun not intended!).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If only England had done this in Serbia well done Milan and all the players and management for supporting their teammate

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Clarence Seedorf was just on the radio about this and made the point that the small amount of fans responsible should have been ejected from the ground so that the majority could carry on enjoying the match, rather than it being left to one of the teams to do something about it. I agree with him.

One of the reports I read said the club had used the tannoy to ask the offenders to stop and that they ignored it. The player made the right call.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
100% the right thing to do. If I was a player or manager, White or black and my teammates/I suffered racist abuse, I would pick up the ball and walk. There is NO PLACE for any racism on today's game and incidents of this sort (when it is from large numbers of the crowd especially) should not be tolerated. Why should footballers have different rules to other employees, who an report and deal with incidents of racism quite easily, just because people pay to watch their work? Granted, it is an extreme response, but ad FIFA are too disgustingly pathetic to take action on racism, this is the only way it can be truly dealt with.

This

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clarence Seedorf was just on the radio about this and made the point that the small amount of fans responsible should have been ejected from the ground so that the majority could carry on enjoying the match, rather than it being left to one of the teams to do something about it. I agree with him.

Nice idea but totally unworkable. I've often seen major disorder when stewards/police attempt to eject a single person let alone an entire group.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Is it the right thing to do though?

What about the majority of the crowd, who travelled and paid good money to watch a game of football, only for a small minority to ruin it?

Absolutely the right thing to do and I hope it brings that fat twat Platini to his senses. He is even worse than Blatter, saying that any player walking off the pitch at Euro 2012 because of racist abuse would be booked. From what I saw the rest of the crowd were applauding Boateng when he walked off. The home players then went over to the culprits to remonstrate with them but there were no officials or stewards anywhere to be seen. Strange.
Now that Platini has been shamed into appealing the ridiculous penalty given to Serbia by his own disciplinary committee let's hope they take proper action against them. Don't forget that they also took action against England following the Serbia match, presumably for trying to protect themselves when attacked, and that Danny Rose got booked for kicking the ball at the racists.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very easy to do this in a friendly against a club no-one has ever heard of, lets see them do it in a champions league knock out match .

I hope they do, about time action was taken to root out the neanderthal scum pervading this game.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not in a million years , unless 3-0 down with 10 minutes to go.

I hope someone proves you wrong.

This vile disease and all those who support or defend it need to be removed from the game and if such measures are whats needed for it to be taken seriously (which it isnt at the moment) then I hope someone has the balls to take them.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I hope someone proves you wrong.

This vile disease and all those who support or defend it need to be removed from the game and if such measures are whats needed for it to be taken seriously (which it isnt at the moment) then I hope someone has the balls to take them.

Whilst I don't disagree with you it shouldn't be the players making these calls if anyone should do it it should be the referee.

As [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] points out it's only going to take a side to be 3-0 down in an important game and a player to say "the crowd called me a name, I'm not playing any more" and walking off. Just look at the berk at Swansea the other week, had Norwich (it was Norwich wasn't it??) been losing would they have been within their rights to walk off in protest because of the actions of one pillock?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Whilst I don't disagree with you it shouldn't be the players making these calls if anyone should do it it should be the referee.

As [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] points out it's only going to take a side to be 3-0 down in an important game and a player to say "the crowd called me a name, I'm not playing any more" and walking off. Just look at the berk at Swansea the other week, had Norwich (it was Norwich wasn't it??) been losing would they have been within their rights to walk off in protest because of the actions of one pillock?

this is the problem - look at the well meaning but often simply posturing posts on this thread, from people who on another issue may well think this through a little more soberly. this thread's like a random cliche generator - but to question the wisdom of this unilateral decision (his own choice, and who am I to put myself in the shoes of someone subjected to that abuse) and its further implications, is to set your self up for the mob claiming you enjoy watching people hang off a fence making monkey noises and don't see anything wrong in it.

its very very tricky this, it leads to a discussion about the wider issue of abuse from football crowds, you cannot completely remove this specific issue from that because its race related. thats a dangerous route to go down.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Fantastic read, but some of the comments at the bottom are disgusting.

Offshorediver said:
All these Blacks whingeing about Racism in our football,i urge ALL white fans to boycott their clubs games for a month,lets see how they will survive with Blacks only supporters AND it might make club owners reverse this black flood that is ruining our white players chances,Zenit fans were spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here