Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] That proper holiday ?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bucket list trip to the Canadian Rockies and ride the Rocky Mountaineer. All booked and set to fly out on Sunday this weekend. Oh, wait a minute......

Was my 50th Birthday present from Mrs Jakarta combined with a Cruise up the Inner Passage (ooh Matron) from Vancouver to Alaska.

Make sure You re-book and go, it is stunning. Were you going to fly into Calgary and then do Banff and the Glaciers as well?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I'd just about put aside sufficient money to freight my motorbike out to New Zealand for a 6-8 week trip. Being self-employed that's taken a bit of a kicking but hopefully that'll be what I end up doing later.

Sounds great. Out of interest, how much does it cost to freight a bike to NZ? Is it better than hiring one over there (no idea if that's even an option)?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes but I like driving in the States as once you are out of town the roads are empty. Drove from Boston up to the Canadian Border a few years back. Found out about how Americans love to give you customer service. Had hired a Mercedes C240 (we both drive Mercs in the UK - sorry if if that makes me a Tory) and they didn't have one so handed me the keys to a C350 instead. Loveliest car I have ever driven, when I got home I saw the eye watering cost of one!

I must admit that I don't understand the range of Mercs. Great cars but there seem to be so many different ones and I can never get my head round what is what. Google says the C350 is from about £28k?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What is the appeal with dubai out of interest?

Spotlessly clean, super safe, amazing service, stunning hotels, great waterparks, great weather. It's all man-made, but it's impressive.

I'm afraid I was born and raised on a Yorkshire council estate so I'm easily taken with shiny things. :hilton:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
American Airlines have cancelled our flights from Gatwick to JFK already and refunded, we were due to fly out on 25th July.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for Norwegian to do the honourable thing, instead they plug swapping for 2021 flights. No thank you, they were on the financial precipice pre-covid19.

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm waiting for Norwegian to do the honourable things, instead they plug swapping for 2021 flights. No thank you, the were on the financial precipice pre-covid19.

My Daughter is Cabin Crew for Norwegian. Or not, now... She flew on the planes, she wore the uniform, she served the company, had a norwegian air email address, but - she never worked for Norwegian anyway. She worked for a company called OSM Aviation, who are basically an agency who hire, train and supply cabin crew to airlines.

So, when Norwegian decided to get rid of loads of staff they didn't have to lay off their own people.. they just cancelled their contract with OSM Aviation. My Daughter has been told to send back her passes and uniform to Norwegian and now has no idea who she works for, or if she's even cabin crew any more. Contact has been minimal, and she has no idea what's happening.

Whilst she lives at home and has no real outgoings I do feel for the people in the same situation with loans, mortgages and a career they loved.

kjgood

My Daughter is Cabin Crew for Norwegian. Or not, now... She flew on the planes, she wore the uniform, she served the company, had a norwegian air email address, but - she never worked for Norwegian anyway. She worked for a company called OSM Aviation, who are basically an agency who hire, train and supply cabin crew to airlines.

So, when Norwegian decided to get rid of loads of staff they didn't have to lay off their own people.. they just cancelled their contract with OSM Aviation. My Daughter has been told to send back her passes and uniform to Norwegian and now has no idea who she works for, or if she's even cabin crew any more. Contact has been minimal, and she has no idea what's happening.

Whilst she lives at home and has no real outgoings I do feel for the people in the same situation with loans, mortgages and a career they loved.

Ryan Air do exactly the same, my daughter went through the training in Milan at her cost, flew Ryan Air, wore the uniform and had the ID but was never actually employed by them.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Top two on my bucket list holidays are the Boxing Day Ashes Test at the MCG.

Was always on my ‘yeah, wouldn’t mind list’. Having done it, I cannot wait for the next one, whenever that may be.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I must admit that I don't understand the range of Mercs. Great cars but there seem to be so many different ones and I can never get my head round what is what. Google says the C350 is from about £28k?

I love Mercs, have had one, but want to buy my forever car next. The range leaves me perplexed even though I have been studying for ages!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did the MCG Boxing Day Test in 2010 when we blew the Aussies away for 99 and then were something like 150-0 at the close. That and the 2006 C&G Final at Lord's my best two days at the Cricket! It is a stunning venue and obviously the only place in the World where you get 90-100 thousand people watching a Cricket Match.

Was always on my ‘yeah, wouldn’t mind list’. Having done it, I cannot wait for the next one, whenever that may be.

Green with envy!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Sorry about that for her, I remember you mentioned her career before.

The Norwegian government control a $1t sovereign fund (from oil and gas revenues, relative to a tiny population). I like Norwegian, so I'd hoped that the government would step, but they've been surprisingly laissez faire.

Your story is a reminder that when some people appear to like the comeuppance now for an airline or airline bosses they can't stand, real people with commitments are having their worlds turned upside down. Not to mention those working in aircraft manufacture e.g. RR or the many suppliers to Gatwick. For that reason alone, I hope the industry bounces back to large extent, sooner rather than later.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's pretty much a crime, particularly if you like the outdoors! I must've been 15 times at least (though only once since I moved up here, stupidly).

The one and only time my much missed Retriever refused to get in the car.

We'd loaded the car and were leaving Ambleside, he refused to get in the car.
He refused to stay in the car.
Eventually we had to put his lead on, lift him into the boot, pass the lead forward, then close the boot.

Driving away, he stood with his nose on the rear window.
As the Lake District finally went out of sight, he loudly huffed, fell to the floor and slept for about 8 hours.

Jul 7, 2003

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Done many places in the States, Florida most years with the kids when young, Vegas / Grand Canyon etc, Son moved to Chicago at the beginning of the year and went over to see him mid Feb, but really want to a drive down from San Francisco to LA or San Diego. So maybe i will action this one everything has settled down.

As Said previous Dubai is a great place, but wifey not keen and revisiting places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here