Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] That proper holiday ?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'd just about put aside sufficient money to freight my motorbike out to New Zealand for a 6-8 week trip. Being self-employed that's taken a bit of a kicking but hopefully that'll be what I end up doing later.

You will enjoy NZ Roads - almost empty of other vehicles!

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Japan is the best. Been twice, hope to go back at least one more time

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Vegas Baby, then off down to Meh-Hi-Ho for a week after that. That's what we've all agreed.

Aside from that, I'd like to go to Dubai again.

I am, what you would call, a 'plastic' when it comes to holiday destinations... ???

What is the appeal with dubai out of interest?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Don't have a bucket list as such but I want to follow in my father's footsteps to Victoria Falls via the overnight sleeper train from Bulawayo.
Dad was stationed at RAF Heany near Bulawayo in 1946 where he trained to be a fighter pilot.
Just have a yearning to visit 75 odd years later ....

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
New Zealand was a wonderful place to visit and the natives are very friendly!

Just give yourself enough time to explore the place, as we have relatives in Australia we went to see them for a few days as well and only did 10 days in NZ (5 North Island and 5 South) It was nowhere near enough.

I plan to go for around 4 weeks, my daughter has lived there for 10 years now and she is going to give me a guided tour of both the North and South Islands. I was planning for next February, but not sure if their restrictions will be lifted by then or not. I'm not prepared to spend 2 of my 4 weeks in Quarantine, so may have to delay my trip.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I just want to get my wife and kids together with my parents, sisters and brother. I don't care if it's over here, back in the UK or somewhere neutral, we'll have a bloody good laugh wherever we may be.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Was tentatively planning for years a Bridge Too Far driving trip with the old man, visiting every significant place during Market Garden from the outset Belgium/Dutch border all the way to Arnhem and using as many of the old roads still existing as possible. Obviously taking in some nice hotels, restaurants and museums on the way. Put the map in a box when he died last year. Came across it again during lockdown when i was having a clear out and have an urge to follow it through now, especially as some other family want to do it as well. Not really into sun holidays so sounds like a cracking holiday to me.Not everyones cup of tea though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not massively into holidays these days.

I would like to see more of England than I have. I've never been to the lake district. Think I'd like to give that a go.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Top two on my bucket list holidays are the Boxing Day Ashes Test at the MCG and an Arctic Cruise. Sadly unlikely to do either as Mrs P can't stand cricket and has "done" Australia anyway, and neither can she stand the cold!

We were planning a Kenya safari trip this year (bucket list #3), but obviously that is now on hold.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mrs Jakarta and I have decided that when lockdown finishes we will do Japan. Doing an Antarctic Cruise a few years ago was her No.1 and that's now done.

If the Donald ever lets anyone back into the USA I quite fancy doing a West Coast Driving Holiday on route 101...

I want to go to Barca the minute I can...it’s a city I know very well and love and miss. But then Japan. I’ve been twice before and love it...but both times without the Frau. We promised each other we’d go as soon as we can. She has also put a stop on me running their marathon, which I need to complete the majors series, until she’s been!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
New Zealand was a wonderful place to visit and the natives are very friendly!

Just give yourself enough time to explore the place, as we have relatives in Australia we went to see them for a few days as well and only did 10 days in NZ (5 North Island and 5 South) It was nowhere near enough.

Did 28 days touring the south island last year, and 28 days on the north island this year. Neither was anywhere near long enough, so we'd started planning a third trip to see some of the bits we couldn't visit.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Had planned to go to Greece by train this year. Through France, Italy not sure when this will be doable. Looked at Germany Hungary Serbia route but too tricky with the train times. Probably in three years I should think. Will stick to UK Ireland Scottish, Manx till then.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
NYC and possibly other parts of the north east.

On paper it’s still booked for July, but I realised early on that it’s a non starter.
American Airlines have cancelled our flights from Gatwick to JFK already and refunded, we were due to fly out on 25th July.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Top two on my bucket list holidays are the Boxing Day Ashes Test at the MCG and an Arctic Cruise. Sadly unlikely to do either as Mrs P can't stand cricket and has "done" Australia anyway, and neither can she stand the cold!

We were planning a Kenya safari trip this year (bucket list #3), but obviously that is now on hold.

Did the MCG Boxing Day Test in 2010 when we blew the Aussies away for 99 and then were something like 150-0 at the close. That and the 2006 C&G Final at Lord's my best two days at the Cricket! It is a stunning venue and obviously the only place in the World where you get 90-100 thousand people watching a Cricket Match.

Mrs Jakarta keen on an Arctic Cruise having done the opposite one a few years back, we shall see.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Have booked priority passes for the British and Irish Lions tour next year so hoping that should go ahead.
will combine with a safari.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If the Donald ever lets anyone back into the USA I quite fancy doing a West Coast Driving Holiday on route 101...

We drove from Seattle down the West Coast (visiting the San Juan Islands to see the Orcas first)

We didn't go all the way down to San Francisco, but loved the Washington /Oregon Coast.

Make sure you go North to South rather than South - North.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bucket list trip to the Canadian Rockies and ride the Rocky Mountaineer. All booked and set to fly out on Sunday this weekend. Oh, wait a minute......

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not massively into holidays these days.

I would like to see more of England than I have. I've never been to the lake district. Think I'd like to give that a go.

That's pretty much a crime, particularly if you like the outdoors! I must've been 15 times at least (though only once since I moved up here, stupidly).

Best avoid the honeypots if you can though, particularly Windermere IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here