Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Well, it is pretty clear, 11 games ain’t bad luck (plus 2 nail biting relegation campaigns), either:

Potter’s hugely overrated; or

The club have failed to give him the tools (goals, game-changers, midfield pace).

What’s your feeling?

Mine, our squad is woefully unbalanced.

My observations would be:

When the team executes what GPott wants them too, it’s the best football I’ve seen in sussex in my 44 years.

The problem is that this only happens in fleeting moments in a league with defences that are pretty much all excellent.

Tonight, I just couldn’t see our qualities getting the better of Connor Cody et al. And with a weakened defence ourselves, we did well to just concede 1.

Therefore, I would say that it’s the tools at his disposal that are the limiting factor.

However, a good craftsman never blames his tools (not that he has or needs to really) so it’s his job to find the best way of getting results with the tools he does have.

Personally, I’m a big admirer and when you look at similar sized clubs like West Brom, Norwich etc. I think both he and Chris have over achieved.

5 years in the Prem is really tough to achieve.

It’s not great for the fans though. Either nail biting fears of failure (relegation) or the frustration of not regularly winning.

Verdict: Potter well and truly in but I’m getting a bit fed up of Prem life!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The way we attacked at Anfield,.albeit at 2-0 down was incredible. Pace, urgency, no fear, and we totally rattled one of the best defences in the league.

Where's that Brighton and how do we get to see it? That's a side that would get the crowd off their feet and leave supporters entertained/gushing over the coach.

All a bit weird the last few weeks. Thankfully a couple of late Maupay screamers delayed this mini meltdown, but it was coming the way we've been playing lately.

Strange times. Suspect Graham and our latest dire run will be saved by another lockdown again.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

The trouble is, no other club play the high stakes, almost everyone pushed forward, football of Klopp.

Everyone else would be fully au fait with Potterball now. Defensive shape in tact, forcing us down cul de sacs. This was analysed at Villa Park, almost rope a dope to use the boxing analogy.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
If I had a season ticket I’d seriously consider booooing it….

Potter needs to dig deep, but I can’t see a win in the near future, boxing day won’t happen & palace will, we’ll do what they do, and every other team does, catch us on the break…..

He maybe in a bind

Tonight I thought the crowd stayed behind the team. I heard no boos. I heard frustration, from myself included, but there was a general feeling of we need to support the deprecated team.

I do confess though that I wonder where the next win is coming from. But I’ve felt that way a lot over the last 5 years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My observations would be:

When the team executes what GPott wants them too, it’s the best football I’ve seen in sussex in my 44 years.

The problem is that this only happens in fleeting moments in a league with defences that are pretty much all excellent.

Tonight, I just couldn’t see our qualities getting the better of Connor Cody et al. And with a weakened defence ourselves, we did well to just concede 1.

Therefore, I would say that it’s the tools at his disposal that are the limiting factor.

However, a good craftsman never blames his tools (not that he has or needs to really) so it’s his job to find the best way of getting results with the tools he does have.

Personally, I’m a big admirer and when you look at similar sized clubs like West Brom, Norwich etc. I think both he and Chris have over achieved.

5 years in the Prem is really tough to achieve.

It’s not great for the fans though. Either nail biting fears of failure (relegation) or the frustration of not regularly winning.

Verdict: Potter well and truly in but I’m getting a bit fed up of Prem life!

Excellent post, I feel the same.

If Potter left for an opportunity with a bigger spend, I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter has coached this team well and has got them organised and playing good passing football, however if we don't address the problem in the quad by signing some proper forwards who can actually contribute over a season we wont finish higher than about 14th and Potter will leave.

Potter is not the problem, the abject failure in recruitment of a forward (s) is the issue.

Also the lack of goals is having a massive affect on the atmosphere at the Amex, its hard to get excited when you know chance after chance will be squandered

Unlike the team

:goal:

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Excellent post, I feel the same.

If Potter left for an opportunity with a bigger spend, I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

I think that with his man management and communication skills he could really achieve a lot, but it’s unlikely it will happen with us.

I hate saying that, I really do, but money talks and we just have a lot less of it.

One question mark I do have is could he manage egos the size of Pogba, Salah and the like.

You have to say that Klopp, Pep and Tichel are the biggest personalities at their respective clubs.

Potter doesn’t seem to be or want to be the biggest personality and, as much as I like that, it might limit his success at the highest echelons of the game.

I’ve heard him called an academy manager (in a derogatory way). In a sense though, that’s the evidence in his portfolio. He develops players, instils really positive principals and organises very well through effective communication, but to manage the biggest players (read egos/salaries) you need that force of personality.

Those same qualities and potential limitations (based on assumption) might just make him perfect for us…and he might just be mature and self aware enough to recognise that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that with his man management and communication skills he could really achieve a lot, but it’s unlikely it will happen with us.

I hate saying that, I really do, but money talks and we just have a lot less of it.

One question mark I do have is could he manage egos the size of Pogba, Salah and the like.

You have to say that Klopp, Pep and Tichel are the biggest personalities at their respective clubs.

Potter doesn’t seem to be or want to be the biggest personality and, as much as I like that, it might limit his success at the highest echelons of the game.

I’ve heard him called an academy manager (in a derogatory way). In a sense though, that’s the evidence in his portfolio. He develops players, instils really positive principals and organises very well through effective communication, but to manage the biggest players (read egos/salaries) you need that force of personality.

Those same qualities and potential limitations (based on assumption) might just make him perfect for us…and he might just be mature and self aware enough to recognise that.

I think along the lines of Villa or Leicester next. They have far bigger transfer budgets than us.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Anyone wanting him gone from this club is frankly an idiot.

Good posts x 2, and agree he would do potentially great things on a bigger budget. I disagree though that he might struggle to manage big egos, I think he'd do fine on that score.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Good posts x 2, and agree he would do potentially great things on a bigger budget. I disagree though that he might struggle to manage big egos, I think he'd do fine on that score.

Don’t disagree, he may well be able to handle superstar players, along with their egos (and agents!), but that would be my question mark if I was on the board of the biggest of clubs.

It’s such a strange position to be in as a supporter though. Deep down you know he is good and most likely the best manager for our club…but at the same time, I have to admit to getting disillusioned with results. Is that him, the team, or the reality of living the premiere league dream as one of the other 14?

To be clear though… not like junior, tsb and all the other doom mongers

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Maybe we just are where we are. If potter had better players he would be able to do better. I think that he will be offered such an opportunity soon. We are a lower premier league team with lower premier league players.

At present we sit right where we should be in terms of player ability. Our problem is that we can see that our manager could easily lead us to something better.

Maybe we need to be patient for a while longer? Maybe we need to temper our expectations? Maybe the Premier League is just a bit boring without a Oligarch or Middle Eastern Prince chucking money at your team? Maybe we need a manager that plays more exciting football and at least wins the game we are supposed to win?

Either way watching the Albion is boring and frustrating in equal measure at the moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When Wolves scored, people on both sides of me said "Well that's that then." I imagine most people felt exactly the same.

Even though 1 minute later we had a tap in to equalise.

I’m now in disbelief at the chances we miss. Forget tactics, these chances would be being missed whether we hoofed it, countered, sat deep, whatever you like. We are missing presentable chances that we have to score.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Even though 1 minute later we had a tap in to equalise.

I’m now in disbelief at the chances we miss. Forget tactics, these chances would be being missed whether we hoofed it, countered, sat deep, whatever you like. We are missing presentable chances that we have to score.

I get the impression that there are a few posters who genuinely believe we would be taking these chances if only we had a different manager though. I guess the next suggestion will be that they are deliberately missing them because the players also want Potter out…

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I get the impression that there are a few posters who genuinely believe we would be taking these chances if only we had a different manager though. I guess the next suggestion will be that they are deliberately missing them because the players also want Potter out…

You know that thing which sometimes happens when a manager is on a bad run? It's like, every single thing goes wrong. Multiple players miss sitters, get sent off, score bizarrely unlucky own goals... all "bad luck" stuff that immediately stops happening when a new coach gets appointed. Try Dean Smith/Gerrard at Villa.

Sometimes what is needed is a new voice. I'm not saying that is the case in this situation, but... no wins in 11, in reality is 5-6 more games without a win away from the sack, no matter how "highly rated" they are. Any coach would struggle to keep their job.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is so frustrating watching this team play and I'm so bored of watching the same scenario play out every match. Like groundhog day going to the Amex.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I gave up reading this thread after a few pages as it was getting depressingly tedious.

I honestly think some people don’t understand football at all and might be better following a different sport!

Anyway, could be worse, we could have The Messiah as our manager...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You know that thing which sometimes happens when a manager is on a bad run? It's like, every single thing goes wrong. Multiple players miss sitters, get sent off, score bizarrely unlucky own goals... all "bad luck" stuff that immediately stops happening when a new coach gets appointed. Try Dean Smith/Gerrard at Villa.

Sometimes what is needed is a new voice. I'm not saying that is the case in this situation, but... no wins in 11, in reality is 5-6 more games without a win away from the sack, no matter how "highly rated" they are. Any coach would struggle to keep their job.
The safer route imo would be to give the current manager a new striker and if we still don’t produce then it would be the time to consider a sacking :shrug:

Last edited:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Surely Graham Potter has taken us as far as he can.

11 without a win, soul destroying boring boring football, continued denial that we need a striker and utterly perplexing substitutions week in week out.

People bang on about where he's got us, potterball, suggesting I'm trolling etc. I'm not, I've been trying to get this across to you for 2 seasons now. If this is Potterball it's an actual pile of shit. Football is about winning and scoring goals and we do neither.

We are sinking like the titanic and Potter is out of his depth.

I don't agree. Funny how we only see these posts after a loss.

What's limiting us is the quality of players we can attract and afford which is a problem every team has bar a handful. I'd argue that Potter has got more out of the players than many coaches would be able to get. They're playing very good football and creating lots of chances. It's not in GP's control when a player misses an absolute sitter.

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I would get Roy Hodgson or Sam Allardyce in as interim manager until the end of the season and then recruit a manager in the summer who has some passion and isn't going to coach into the players anti-shooting.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I don't agree. Funny how we only see these posts after a loss.

What's limiting us is the quality of players we can attract and afford which is a problem every team bar a handful has. I'd argue that Potter has got more out of the players than many coaches would be able to get. They're playing very good football and creating lots of chances. It's not in GP's control when a player misses an absolute sitter.

You really are wasting your breath...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here