[Albion] that De Zerbi interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The thing is, in the recent past we have gone out and signed ready made players for decent money. When needed a left back we went and bought Cucurella, he left we went and bought Estupinan. When Colwill wasn’t available we went and signed Igor.

Where we now need to do it is in midfield and right back. Baleba is evidently miles away from being ready to play PL as RDZ just said.

We also need a ready to go right back.

No one is saying they have to be £40m players but money does need spent or RDZ has every right to complain.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m not as sure. We’ll sign players but I suspect they’ll all be investments. Many quite exciting investments maybe (Barco, Bhardji) but it feels like he wants some oven ready options as well and I’m not so sure he’ll get those
Not in January and not at the fees that would be asked for. Unless there are some clubs who want to offload. Even then, we are not at the front of the queue.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Not signing Kudus was a bad mistake by the club in my opinion. We also should have acted faster on our interest in Livramento.

The 2 full backs are probably the most important players in RDZ’s system in attack. We don’t have any. We went into the season relying on 1 right back, 1 left back and a sick note in Lamptey who might play 15 games a season. People can try and justify it with Milner or March could cover as much as they want but it was poor planning and recruitment. Granted that doesn’t happen very often with us, but it should be pointed out when it does.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think it’s a case of a very ambitious manager who is smart enough to know he will manage a very big club one day - not currently getting the funding he needs to match (or better) Premier League performances from last season.

He’s smart, and knows this is the perfect time to make this point, just before the transfer window opens.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’d be much more worried if he was saying it during a press conference away from the emotion of one of our more passionate games of the season

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I think we’re playing more inexperienced players than RDZ would want to, due to so many injuries. Thankfully Buonanotte is stepping into Enciso shoes and doing well. We’re not that far off, RDZ just needs to be patient and hopefully the likes of Hinshelwood will continue their progress. Can’t see us spending much in the January window.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The thing is, in the recent past we have gone out and signed ready made players for decent money. When needed a left back we went and bought Cucurella, he left we went and bought Estupinan. When Colwill wasn’t available we went and signed Igor.

Where we now need to do it is in midfield and right back. Baleba is evidently miles away from being ready to play PL as RDZ just said.

We also need a ready to go right back.

No one is saying they have to be £40m players but money does need spent or RDZ has every right to complain.
When have the club said they are not willing to spend though ? They always are. But they will only spend within the budget.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Also, he’s very clearly said we need 3/4 signings to cover key positions.

It’s black and white now in terms of come 1st Feb we have either given him the tools or we haven’t. There may be very good reasons why we don’t but there can be no ambiguity he has stated explicitly what he wants.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Not signing Kudus was a bad mistake by the club in my opinion. We also should have acted faster on our interest in Livramento.

those were two deals that had red lines for the club. livramento had a buyback clause, kudus wanted a release clause. both things the club apparently said no to. it’s the model, but it clearly isn’t going to leave fans or even managers happy all the time

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Blown out of ALL proportion.

'Passionate manager in frustration at not winning football match SHOCKER!'

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think we’re playing more inexperienced players than RDZ would want to, due to so many injuries. Thankfully Buonanotte is stepping into Enciso shoes and doing well. We’re not that far off, RDZ just needs to be patient and hopefully the likes of Hinshelwood will continue their progress. Can’t see us spending much in the January window.
Or that any of us would want to really.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Can't blame him really. Can't think of any other team in the league forced to play an 18 year old rookie out of position as a fullback. Not even rubbish like Burnley or sheff it's are in that position

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

The 2 full backs are probably the most important players in RDZ’s system in attack. We don’t have any. We went into the season relying on 1 right back, 1 left back and a sick note in Lamptey who might play 15 games a season. People can try and justify it with Milner or March could cover as much as they want but it was poor planning and recruitment. Granted that doesn’t happen very often with us, but it should be pointed out when it does.
If you'd asked me in August if I'd rather we took a £40m punt on Kudus or loaned Ansu Fati for the season, with maybe a slim chance it might tempt him to join us the following season, I wouldn't have thought twice about choosing the latter. Just unfortunate that he got injured when he was getting into his stride.

Plus it sounds like Kudus had a demanding agent, and West Ham probably had to agree to a release clause to get him.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I often think with RDZ that his English isn't as good as he would like and he often has 2 or 3 gos at getting his point across. He should consider answering in Italian and having it translated sometimes.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
those were two deals that had red lines for the club. livramento had a buyback clause, kudus wanted a release clause. both things the club apparently said no to. it’s the model, but it clearly isn’t going to leave fans or even managers happy all the time
All businesses have models and strategy but there are times you must delve away from that. Losing our two biggest assets in the space of 2 months with no ready made replacements currently employed, is bad planning and has left us short. We are now relying on the apprentices to do the seasoned professionals work to the same level. And we’re surprised when they can’t?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
If you'd asked me in August if I'd rather we took a £40m punt on Kudus or loaned Ansu Fati for the season, with maybe a slim chance it might tempt him to join us the following season, I wouldn't have thought twice about choosing the latter. Just unfortunate that he got injured when he was getting into his stride.

Plus it sounds like Kudus had a demanding agent, and West Ham probably had to agree to a release clause to get him.
Why is it always one or the other? They play in different positions. Fati is predominantly a number 10 or operates off the left side, Kudus is mainly a right winger. We’re currently relying on Adringa, who had a half decent season in the Belgian League, to start every game in the premier league. Why are you happy with loans that bring no money into the club as opposed to release clauses where you may double your money in a season if the player plays well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports