[Football] That Crystal Palace banner

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ll leave these here incase you suddenly become interested in facts. No need to discuss, we don’t want a binfest. They are there when you are ready :)

The impact of Brexit on relations between the UK and Gulf countries

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thec...ions-between-the-uk-and-gulf-countries-130820

How Britain is leveraging the G20 in Saudi Arabia to seal post-Brexit deals

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/pol...g20-in-saudi-arabia-to-seal-post-brexit-deals

The U.K. kicked off the process to sign a trade deal with Saudi Arabia and a group of other Gulf states, its latest post-Brexit target as it seeks deeper economic ties beyond the European Union.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...de-deal-process-with-saudi-arabia-gulf-states

Saudi Arabia - why it matters so much to UK post-Brexit

Madawi al-Rasheed of the London School of Economics explains the close relationship between the UK and Saudi Arabia

https://www.ft.com/video/017db54b-eb33-45bd-80cb-7fd002281f14

All very relevant and will answer a few of the questions raised around the football ownership topic. For those willing to learn, of course.

Of course it is relevant, just like a 1000 other things are relevant... although this is your go-to choice of relevance on any subject. Which is fine, just amusing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course it is relevant, just like a 1000 other things are relevant... although this is your go-to choice of relevance on any subject. Which is fine, just amusing.

You read them quick.
Best just leave it. I’m not in the mood for ignorance or a binfest and I don’t have the energy to keep educating you.
Have a smashing afternoon.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
According to a stunned Palace fan who was there, it did.

Toon fans singing "Khashoggi's in a box" is despicable enough but going round stunning opposition fans is quite outside the bounds of acceptable behaviour.

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
More awkward for the Palace fans responsible for the PIF banner seeing as one of the Palace owners took £20b off the Saudis.

The £20bn was put into an investment fund run by Blackstone, a company that Blitzer is an executive of, while still not great, very different. As I mentioned in a previous post, you would be hard pushed not to use or buy any goods and services that don't have links to regimes or countries with poor human rights records.

That doesn't mean you should just roll over and have your tummy tickled

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
A few well chosen chants wouldn’t go amiss. I’m sure that a customised rendition of GOSBTS would enlighten any viewers and p*ss of the opposition.

“ They’re killing kids….They’re killing kids

Your new owners

They’re killing kids…….”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Pathetic is an understatement. I'm assuming that the complaint came from Newcastle's new owners. Not content with suppressing free speech in their own country, they appear to want to do the same here. Respect to the Palace fans....we should aim to do something similar.

Tha is a massive assumption, short and sweet...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why would anybody ever think what they are doing outside of football is ok? Why not let them do some good for the people of Newcastle by putting some money into their community projects (if that is what they end up doing). Why can't people just keep the two separate and accept people do good and bad (evil in this case). Hope they pay for what they are doing in general and let them pay for the good they are likley to do for the Newcastle fan base.

Ethics.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It sounds like they have come to a compromise. They seem to have agreed things that they both can live with.

It seems all they were interested is controlling TV money

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How can that banner and players rightfully taking a knee coexist in the same place, at the same time, under governing body?

Is the banner racist in your opinion?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I’m sorry folks. But look at this again.

850bbe1265465fd7aa9f1626092943ee.jpg

I've tried, but I can't see a group of human rights activists there.

But apparently, this bunch of south London simpletons whose motto is 'Against modern football (until we get decent seats)' are putting Amnesty International out of business.

I'm not having it.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Whatever we think of the Palace "Ultras", the banner and the statement were first class. They have set an example, at the first away game Newcastle has played after the takeover. The baton has now been passed to Brighton & Hove Albion, their second away fixture. What are we going to do?

Is the right question…

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I've tried, but I can't see a group of human rights activists there.

But apparently, this bunch of south London simpletons whose motto is 'Against modern football (until we get decent seats)' are putting Amnesty International out of business.

I'm not having it.

Anyone can change , give them a little credit .

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

doesn't Ethics say you should do the biggest good for the most amount of people. So when are you going to Kill him then? What if you killed him and the person who took over from him was more tyrannical than him, and he kills and invades more counties surely the Ethical thing to do is keep the original person in charge. I don't think Ethics is simple.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
doesn't Ethics say you should do the biggest good for the most amount of people. So when are you going to Kill him then? What if you killed him and the person who took over from him was more tyrannical than him, and he kills and invades more counties surely the Ethical thing to do is keep the original person in charge. I don't think Ethics is simple.

You’re thinking of Utilitarianism. A branch of ethics.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why would anybody ever think what they are doing outside of football is ok? Why not let them do some good for the people of Newcastle by putting some money into their community projects (if that is what they end up doing). Why can't people just keep the two separate and accept people do good and bad (evil in this case). Hope they pay for what they are doing in general and let them pay for the good they are likley to do for the Newcastle fan base.

So a little bit like ignoring what’s happening to some people, including being tortured and killed, because others are enriched by, or better off because of the same people. So a bit like, say, 1930s Germany yes? Because that ended well…

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Hang on Abramovich is NOT the Russian state. Whereas the Saudi state is the Saudi state.

Indeed Abramovich I don’t think is even a Russia citizen I think he now hold Israeli citizenship

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You’re thinking of Utilitarianism. A branch of ethics.

So there is different sort of Ethics? Which one is right for this situation? Should one branch be used for how they are in everyday life and a different one be used in a footballing context?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So there is different sort of Ethics? Which one is right for this situation? Should one branch be used for how they are in everyday life and a different one be used in a footballing context?

Well, that depends what ethics you are applying. Utilitarianism is totalitarian so you would always choose the approach that benefits the most people, no matter the cost to the minority.

However, people constantly change their ethical approach to make certain scenarios more palatable.

That aside, my ethics of conscience say we should not be trading with the the Saudi’s. Applying pragmatism, my opinion is that we need to and therefore cannot avoid it.

That doesn’t really answer your question I don’t think. Sorry!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports