Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thailand Advice Request

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I went in March last year and had the best time ever

2 nights in Bangkok - one on Ko San Rd and one in a plush hotel near MBK.

Then due to time we didn't go to Chang Mai but instead went to a place called Kanchanaburi which is 2 hours drive from Bangkok and I would definitely recommend it - spend a day at an elephant sanctuary, had an awesome night there and went to Erwani Waterfalls which were brilliant.

then went to the Island including Koh Tao, Koh Phangan for full moon party, Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. We are 26 so mainly partied but did some awesome other things too and stayed in a mixture of hostels and 4/5 star hotels.

pop me a pm if you want more info on anything

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
One or two nights Bangkok...then some islands maybe.

Interesting places to visit in Bangkok... Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza..... Go on your own in the evening :whistle:
If you're taking the Mrs best stick to The Royal Palace and various temples. Seriously it's brilliant. Worked there for 12 years.
The land of :)):)

macky

Dec 28, 2004
that where the monk take the tigers in that worth a visit too Theres also a hot spring there that is worth a hours stop
the bridge over the river kwai hwll fire pass is a must see up there Kanchanaburi is worth a two or three day visit the nice to have a meal and a drink on the river Also if you are stuck for time and want a beach hua hin is worth a visit only two hours from Bangkok and the girls have to behave theirself there as the king stays there

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Yep. We got done by the only female Tuk-Tuk driver. When I say done, not financially just taken to shops we didn't want to go to.

Hardly got done. Just don't go in.

Tuk tuk drivers get tokens for their fuel each shop you go INTO, irrelevant if you buy anything or not.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hardly got done. Just don't go in.

Tuk tuk drivers get tokens for their fuel each shop you go INTO, irrelevant if you buy anything or not.

We didn't go in. Usual suit and Jewelery shops, which I have done before.

When I said done, it was more a time thing. We were taken to places we didn't want to go to, and never got to see the Palace. We were only in Bangkok for 3 nights. Went on to Chaing Mai, which was great and Phuket, which was also very good.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Getting hot up North by late March, it will hit 40c in Chang Mai by then...

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I went in March last year and had the best time ever

2 nights in Bangkok - one on Ko San Rd and one in a plush hotel near MBK.

Then due to time we didn't go to Chang Mai but instead went to a place called Kanchanaburi which is 2 hours drive from Bangkok and I would definitely recommend it - spend a day at an elephant sanctuary, had an awesome night there and went to Erwani Waterfalls which were brilliant.

then went to the Island including Koh Tao, Koh Phangan for full moon party, Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. We are 26 so mainly partied but did some awesome other things too and stayed in a mixture of hostels and 4/5 star hotels.

pop me a pm if you want more info on anything

A place called Kanchanaburi?? actually sir that is where you will find the famous bridge over the river Kwai.. there are a few ex POW camp museums, memorials and a British war cemetery... well worth a day, You can walk over the bridge as well,

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I'm heading to Bangkok in 12 days! I have no real itinerary or plans yet other than a flight home from Singapore in May but I can't bloody wait.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
chang mai is a long way away 12hour train journey and after the trip there most wont wantto travel to much further
so at a guess I would say at least a 3 week hol depends on how long you want on the beach I guess if I were you I would go to kanchanaburi as its only 2 or 3 hours from Bangkok then

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
can I just ask the people that have been what the fuss is about Phuket? is it that good?

we didn't bother and after the crazy start our beach/party time was spent on Koh Tao, Koh Panghan, Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. I'd say the best island depends what you want to do - dive, party,relax?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
that would take you to flights to get from chang mai to Phuket I would just do kanchanburi rather than chang mai
hell fire pass in kanchaburi is a must see was worn out just walking god knows what them poor souls put up with

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I spent new year at Patong Beach, Phuket in 2012 and I would recommend against it. It really has to be one of the worse places in Thailand!

Thanks for this. I've got 15 nights in November. I'm flying into Bangkok and from there was planning to fly up to Chiang Mai and then fly again down to Phuket. I was hoping to do Bangkok in two nights and then maybe three in Chiang Mai, leaving me around 9 nights to go south for some sun in Phuket and the Phi Phi Islands. But as someone who has never been to Asia I'm not sure if fitting all these places into two weeks is realistic, or even if they are all worth visiting.

I did something similar last summer with the wife. We had 4 nights in Chiang Mai, 4 in Koh Phangan and 4 in Bangkok. I would say that a couple of nights is probably enough in Bangkok - we spent a good couple of days looking round shopping malls, but if you only want to do the major tourist sites (the old city and say Jim Thompson's house) then two days would be enough. In Chiang Mai we did a few trips (elephant ride, zip lining and Doi Suithep) so it depends how much you want to do while there - drop at least one of those trips and three nights is very do-able.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here