Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thailand Advice Request

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Got back last Friday after 4 weeks there. My advice:

* No longer than 2/3 nights in Bangkok- is interesting but hot, dirty and everyone is looking to rip you off
* Definitely do Chiang Mai. Fly up there from Bangkok for 55 quid rather than the 15 hour train journey
* An island is a must- I went to Ko Chang which was very pretty and chilled out
* I also went to Cambodia too which is an option
* Definitely drink Leo over the Chang
* Only half pack your case and buy t-shirts and stuff out there as it is so cheap
* Eat the street food rather than going to restaurants. It is miles better and a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Useful advice. Chiang Mai certainly sounds like it has a lot more to offer than Bangkok, which could well be a case of getting in and out ASAP.

I'd also be very interested if anyone has any tips on Phuket or the surrounding islands. From reading various sites, it sounds like Patong is the place to avoid.
I will give you the best bit of advice you will get stay off the jet skis they are the biggest rip off they will claim you damaged them
they are all run by the mafia and the policeare the mafia so you wil lget no help there

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Got back last Friday after 4 weeks there. My advice:

* No longer than 2/3 nights in Bangkok- is interesting but hot, dirty and everyone is looking to rip you off
* Definitely do Chiang Mai. Fly up there from Bangkok for 55 quid rather than the 15 hour train journey
* An island is a must- I went to Ko Chang which was very pretty and chilled out
* I also went to Cambodia too which is an option
* Definitely drink Leo over the Chang
* Only half pack your case and buy t-shirts and stuff out there as it is so cheap
* Eat the street food rather than going to restaurants. It is miles better and a fraction of the price.
kho chang is also nice and near to Bangkok well compared to the south

macky

Dec 28, 2004
How did you get to Ko Chang out of interest? It doesn't look like somewhere that has flights to/from other places in Thailand. Is it easy to do it by road from Bangkok?

Noted. I think entering into negotiations with anyone for anything is only going to end in disaster in that part of the world!
kho chang is a ferry not to far from Bangkok

weepete

Sep 22, 2011
Best advice - learn some of the language especially numbers for bartering and pleasantries.

Don't worry about Bangkok - Just get away from the hostel areas.
My best advice for Bangkok is head to the river (phra Athit stop) and get the water taxi's (not the tourist ones, use the ones the locals use to get about).
Get the water taxi down to the stop for the SKY TRAIN (Spahn Taksin) (mono rail to get a good idea of the layout of Bangkok).
From there its yours.
Head to Chatuchak Park for the markets or the central parks for some peace and quiet.

But deffo learn some language and numbers - it goes a long way - and smile. Never ever argue or cause a scene, just politely give it a " My Ow Kapom, paang Goon Buy" No thanks, its too expensive.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
How did you get to Ko Chang out of interest? It doesn't look like somewhere that has flights to/from other places in Thailand. Is it easy to do it by road from Bangkok?

Mini bus and ferry. Loads of tourist places will do you a deal. It takes about 3 hours from Bangkok to the ferry port and then the ferry is 45 minutes :)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
behave yourself on samui , and phang nan.......a lot of the locals carry guns and if you are out of order they will rob you..."simples".

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012

Avoid Phuket & Pattaya Pattaya!

Agree Chaing Mai is a must, and worth getting a direct bus to Siem Reap for a few days to explore the temples if you have the time.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
After watching last night...think I'll give Samui a swerve..

there are some lovely spots but chaweng and lamai are dumps and ko phangnan is over run with idiots who are off the crust on liquid and sniff...still plenty of beautiful spots to go but vietnam has taken over as the place to go for the cultural experience rather than the 2012-3 version of the contiki tour.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

That's defeating the object isn't it? The train is brilliant (£12), set off at 4pm and arrive at 7am. You have a restaurant on the train and meet other backpackers and you travel threw the night so you're not losing any time and the bunk beds are nice and comfy plus you get to see parts of the country side as you go unlike the Airport where you have to check in and wait for ever which is so boring.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
That's defeating the object isn't it? The train is brilliant (£12), set off at 4pm and arrive at 7am. You have a restaurant on the train and meet other backpackers and you travel threw the night so you're not losing any time and the bunk beds are nice and comfy plus you get to see parts of the country side as you go unlike the Airport where you have to check in and wait for ever which is so boring.

That's what I'm gonna do... save 45 quid on a hotel room. ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here