Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tenuous Albion Links

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Served Garry Nelson at the Toby Carvery in Shoreham. Mobbed Mark Lawrenson (along with the rest of my cub pack) while he walked his dog in Buckingham Park.
Sat next to team coach driver at Wycombe away.
Stood behind Ian Baird and a few other first teamers in the queue for McDonald's at Clacket Lane services.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I was reminded the other day of the time when my mum and dad met Garry Nelson in a carpet shop and ended up buying the same carpet as him. What's your most tenuous link to an Albion player past or present? What's your Lame to Fame?
1. Brian Powneys brother took me to my first Albion match with his son in the 70s.
2. I took my (18 years old today!) daughter to first game at Withdean when she was about 3. A pre season friendly and she got a cuddle from (Mrs) Kerry Mayo’s mother.
3. I played football with Gerry Armstrong in the Lewes Sunday league in the 90s. He played as a ringer for our team.

Whilst talking, was also at a party in Hove last Saturday and JK Rowling was there.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
In 1963 we were looking to move from Rottingdean to Portslade/Southwick. Dad looked at a house on the Old Shoreham Road, but we opted instead for Foredown Drive, Portslade.

The house he had looked at was subsequently bought by/for Peter O'Sullivan. Legendary Albion player, singed from ManUre, for younger readers. Lovely hair. And later, lovely tash.

As dad reminded us every time we drove past it, on the way to Shoreham Beach or Rustington in the summer.

One of these it may have been:

View attachment 162643
Alan Dovey a young goal keeper who came from Chelsea in the early 70's used to lodge about 10 doors up the road from us , so 13 (ish) from you., he gave me several signed Chelsea European programmes....they are still in the attic somewhere..

And when I was a paperboy for the newsagents in the old village I used to be Peter Wards paperboy when he lived in Mile Oak,

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
About 14 years ago I was renting a property in St Leonards Avenue and had a knock on the door. I opened it to find a huge guy, dressed in a white/beige/grey suit (it was dark), looking for the previous tenant that owed money. To my astonishment, I realised it was the FDM, and he was collecting. I just kept banging on about how much I loved him, and saying how I'd never forget that double save against Wolves and couldn't believe he was knocking at my front door. I think he was a little embarrassed and left after a couple of minutes. Strangely, I never had anyone come knocking for the previous tenant again in the 18 months I was there.

I also had my ingrown toenails removed by an ex player in Worthing hospital about 20 years ago, I was 14 at the time. I can't remember his name, but my stepdad was jealous that I got the chance to meet him.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I played football with Darragh Ryan as a child.

I was served by Gerry Ryan a good number of times, but as he ran a pub that’s hardly uncommon.

Nicks

I had a phone call from a certain member of the Albion PR asking me if I would play for the Albion side in a six a side at Burgess hill .
I said I'm knackered because I had done two kids side as a ref on that Sunday but he mentioned Peter Ward was playing for us so immediately my stance changed.
Anyway, we were 3-1 down in our first game and in the second half we found our feet and I put Wardy through for the winner.
He turned round to me and said " Great ball Nixy"
My life as an Albion fan was then complete

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I went to school with Ian Chapman Cousin, strangely enough a few years later my next door neighbour married a different cousin of Ian Chapmans.
Chris Catlin and Will Packhams dad were long standing customers to where I work. My flat mate was in the school year below Russell Martin,and my sister went to school with Darren Budd. An old school friend of mine says his dad used to play for Brighton but I had never heard of him.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I once sat next to Gerry Fell. The unfortunate man. He and his wife were guests of honour at the St Luke's Primary School Jubilee celebrations in 1977.

We paraded round the streets on floats with me sitting beside him having absolutely nothing to do with my Mum organising the event.

The problem for him was I could never shut my gob and kept asking him question after question about the season. I have a picture of the poor soul looking vacantly towards the camera with me turned towards him, seemingly firing of a another random observation of our promotion glory.
Further to, I found the picture. Gerry, forced smile looks ahead, me sitting next to him probably asking about the average points per game, home v away. I think the lady to the left in the red dress is his wife.

106492953_10163940270735602_2220124006710772353_n.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kevin Thornton?
THATS the fella! Yes. Thornton.

I spent a very weird night with him. Me and the missus went to a house party around Hove Park area along with my daughter (my nephew was friends with one of the players at the time, or something). Lots of footballers there.

Aaaanyway. Thornton has been chatting my daughter up half the evening. So our cab turns up, and he decides to hitch back along with us to our house to carry on with a few shandies. Now - I'm a dad - I know his true motives (ie my daughter), but there's NO WAY thats happening. She slopes off upstairs to bed, leaving me and Kevin Thornton downstairs in the living room with a bottle of whisky and the telly. I think HE thinks he's going to drink me under the table and then sneak upstairs for his wicked way with my teenage daughter.

In the end, I didn't crash out. What actually happened was he called up various YouTube highlight reels on my TV of all his goals and best moments. We both got very drunk, until the cab I called for him turned up, and I bundled him into it, back to the Jury's, or whatever.

Nice enough chap, if a bit lonely. If he ACTUALLY believed he was going to biff my daughter though ? I mean...come on

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
THATS the fella! Yes. Thornton.

I spent a very weird night with him. Me and the missus went to a house party around Hove Park area along with my daughter (my nephew was friends with one of the players at the time, or something). Lots of footballers there.

Aaaanyway. Thornton has been chatting my daughter up half the evening. So our cab turns up, and he decides to hitch back along with us to our house to carry on with a few shandies. Now - I'm a dad - I know his true motives (ie my daughter), but there's NO WAY thats happening. She slopes off upstairs to bed, leaving me and Kevin Thornton downstairs in the living room with a bottle of whisky and the telly. I think HE thinks he's going to drink me under the table and then sneak upstairs for his wicked way with my teenage daughter.

In the end, I didn't crash out. What actually happened was he called up various YouTube highlight reels on my TV of all his goals and best moments. We both got very drunk, until the cab I called for him turned up, and I bundled him into it, back to the Jury's, or whatever.

Nice enough chap, if a bit lonely. If he ACTUALLY believed he was going to biff my daughter though ? I mean...come on
I'm picturing him back at the hotel having a little drunken cry then knocking one out. We've all done it..

Jul 7, 2003
I also had my ingrown toenails removed by an ex player in Worthing hospital about 20 years ago, I was 14 at the time. I can't remember his name, but my stepdad was jealous that I got the chance to meet him.
That will have been John Byrne - while he was working there I would sometimes see him in the Kwik Snak sandwich shop at lunchtime.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alan Dovey a young goal keeper who came from Chelsea in the early 70's used to lodge about 10 doors up the road from us , so 13 (ish) from you., he gave me several signed Chelsea European programmes....they are still in the attic somewhere..

And when I was a paperboy for the newsagents in the old village I used to be Peter Wards paperboy when he lived in Mile Oak,
Top work. Dovey> Didn't know that!

And did we not used to see Ian Hutchinson (long throw man) running around Easthill Park?

My paper round was Mill Road and the flats. Very unpleasant.

Hope you're enjoying the weather :thumbsup:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I once met this really pissed, obnoxious bloke in a pub in Arundel, his name was Greg, complete ****.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Paul Barber handed me a Lucozade Sport during the 2015 Brighton Marathon, whilst manning one of the drink stations. Didn't even want it, just wanted to casually say "Thanks Paul". Threw it away 30 yards down the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here