Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Television

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still got mine! Recently unearthed that one amongst a stack of other vinyl all from dark storage places, inherited my brother's albums too. Get very nostalgic in my hut at the end of the garden. No idea why I thought Tackhead were any good - but others really stood the test of time.

Annoyingly my brother had a Smiths white label promo of their first album (I think) but let someone have it/lost it years ago. Would have been worth a fortune.
I remember BeatNigs from when I cut my hair and was going through my post-metal PWEI, Renegade Soundwave era :lolol:.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Jokes aside, whenever their name comes up I have to share my love for Richer Sounds. Absolutely exemplary company and I buy all my tech from them as a matter of principle. Never known anyone have a bad experience with them, quite apart from their profit sharing, ethical trading and accommodating things like paternity leave. Truly progressive and a credit to British business.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve spoken to Julian on a few occasions about implementation issues on some of their initiatives, and he’s always been very helpful.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve spoken to Julian on a few occasions about implementation issues on some of their initiatives, and he’s always been very helpful.
I attended a couple of business seminars delivered by Julian some years back, (I’m not in business and was invited by someone) and he spoke so much sense. Talked a lot about “right first time” practices and investing in staff. Very impressive businessman with a conscience.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I remember BeatNigs from when I cut my hair and was going through my post-metal PWEI, Renegade Soundwave era :lolol:.
PWEI! I must have lost their stuff. Around the same time as the stourbridge lot of wonderstuff and neds atomic dustbin wasn't it?? All a bit merged in my head. Must say I find wonderstuff really dull now, not sure what I saw in that. - I've some of their stuff but no PWEI, who I recal liking a lot

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PWEI! I must have lost their stuff. Around the same time as the stourbridge lot of wonderstuff and neds atomic dustbin wasn't it?? All a bit merged in my head. Must say I find wonderstuff really dull now, not sure what I saw in that. - I've some of their stuff but no PWEI, who I recal liking a lot
...and Ned's had a song about televisions as well! And they ALWAYS seemed to support Wonderstuff.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Right, we need a tv. Or to be more precise the wife wants a tv. We haven’t owned one for years and we/I have no idea about these things. The only criteria is it’s approx 42 inch and we don’t want to spend a fortune; not interested in extra sound-bars etc. I’d like it to look minimal and modern so it fits with everything else.

I am not interested in using it but if I can cast my iPad and watch Albion games I might; this is a nice to have.

Go do your stuff NSC.

I have found a nice looking stand though.
Sounds more like your wife’s problem than yours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds more like your wife’s problem than yours.
True, but I want to ensure 'we' dont buy something shit. This, and sourcing a decent looking stand to complement the lounge , are my tasks.

Jimmy Grimble

Don't get conned into paying for an extended warranty. TV's are bombproof these days.
My LG wasn’t. Something made a loud bang from the inside of it and it wouldn’t turn back on!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Veering off track a bit, I know HT won’t mind but we have four remote controls now to operate our tv viewing. As I get older it takes forever to navigate between everything. Sometimes I get stuck in this complicated world and have to get Mrs Q to sort it.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Veering off track a bit, I know HT won’t mind but we have four remote controls now to operate our tv viewing. As I get older it takes forever to navigate between everything. Sometimes I get stuck in this complicated world and have to get Mrs Q to sort it.
Tv remote, soundbar remote, Tv box remote, fire stick remote, blu ray player remote. We leave them next to the TV so they don’t get lost.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Jesus, TVs have come down in price. Didn't realise how cheap they were these days. Shame important stuff like food hasn't
Agreed. I bought a Samsung 43 inch 14 years ago for £700! It's still going strong -- in fact I'm watching it right now -- but I see that a new Samsung 43" now (and probably even smarter) is half that price, and that doesn't make allowances for inflation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Somewhere in the attic, I have a GREEN vinyl PWEI 12”. Something about ‘Get the girl, kill the baddy, and save the human race’.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My LG wasn’t. Something made a loud bang from the inside of it and it wouldn’t turn back on!
You've been VERY unlucky then! I've had several flat screens over the years and never had a moments bother, although I've probably tempted fate now.

My local used to have 2 plasma screens on the walls, they were Sharp I think so not even a particularly good make. They would be on pretty much all day every day for (easily) a decade, and I don't recall them ever going on the fritz either.

The old CRT's though...I had a couple of troublesome ones, although admittedly I did get the cheapo big ones back in the day. I was stuck with a portable TV in the living room for about 2 months once, whilst my "5 star warranty" took it away for repairs after the screen went funny. I was going postal cos I'd only just bought a DVD player, and the portable TV didn't have a scart connector.

I'm still mentally scarred from that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
My Samsung came with a universal remote - controls the PVR, Chromecast and XBox connected to the TV.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You've been VERY unlucky then! I've had several flat screens over the years and never had a moments bother, although I've probably tempted fate now.

My local used to have 2 plasma screens on the walls, they were Sharp I think so not even a particularly good make. They would be on pretty much all day every day for (easily) a decade, and I don't recall them ever going on the fritz either.

The old CRT's though...I had a couple of troublesome ones, although admittedly I did get the cheapo big ones back in the day. I was stuck with a portable TV in the living room for about 2 months once, whilst my "5 star warranty" took it away for repairs after the screen went funny. I was going postal cos I'd only just bought a DVD player, and the portable TV didn't have a scart connector.

I'm still mentally scarred from that.
Neither of our previous two flat screen TVs have made it to 5 years. I’m not going anywhere but John Lewis from here on, for the inclusive 5 yr guarantee.
(I think Richer Sounds possibly offer something similar)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here