Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Television

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right, we need a tv. Or to be more precise the wife wants a tv. We haven’t owned one for years and we/I have no idea about these things. The only criteria is it’s approx 42 inch and we don’t want to spend a fortune; not interested in extra sound-bars etc. I’d like it to look minimal and modern so it fits with everything else.

I am not interested in using it but if I can cast my iPad and watch Albion games I might; this is a nice to have.

Go do your stuff NSC.

I have found a nice looking stand though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not really sure you need advice, as I understand it even burglars don't bother with big TVs.

At most it's a couple of hundred quid (or three takeaways) either way. If you want to read facts and figures knock yourself out :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We just got a Sky Glass. I rather like it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not really sure you need advice, as I understand it even burglars don't bother with big TVs.

At most it's a couple of hundred quid (or three takeaways) either way. If you want to read facts and figures knock yourself out :shrug:
I doubt I’ll know how to interpret facts and figures.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Right, we need a tv. Or to be more precise the wife wants a tv. We haven’t owned one for years and we/I have no idea about these things. The only criteria is it’s approx 42 inch and we don’t want to spend a fortune; not interested in extra sound-bars etc. I’d like it to look minimal and modern so it fits with everything else.

I am not interested in using it but if I can cast my iPad and watch Albion games I might; this is a nice to have.

Go do your stuff NSC.

I have found a nice looking stand though.
You can’t go wrong imho with a Samsung Smart TV

Deal of the day: Samsung 43 Inch AU7020 UHD HDR 4K Smart TV (2023) - Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV With HDR Picture, Adaptive Sound Lite, PurColour Colour Technology & Q-Symphony Sound - Compatible With Alexa https://amzn.eu/d/4JI2yjv

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Based on your criteria get yourself down to Curry’s or John Lewis and pick a Samsung or LG that you like the look of, don’t think you’ll go wrong there.

Just watching Planet Earth III in 4K UHD on iPlayer on my LG, it’s something to behold.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
We have a TCL 50" as the bedroom tv. It's an Android so you're able to add apps or whatever. Enough bells and whistles and won't break the bank

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
TVs are actually built with crap sound these days, the manufacturers expect that you will buy a sound bar.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
TVs are actually built with crap sound these days, the manufacturers expect that you will buy a sound bar.
consequence of TV becoming 2" deep, there's no where for decent mid and low freq sound.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I bought a Samsung 43" for the bedroom back in the spring.

More than adequate - I have a Humax Freeview digital recorder and a fire stick attached to it - does the job - very happy!

£275 from Argos IIRC

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which? best buy at that size.

[A small army of nsc’ers will try to brow-beat you into going for a much larger TV, under the it needs to fill your complete vision fad].

IMG_1108.png

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
consequence of TV becoming 2" deep, there's no where for decent mid and low freq sound.
Is the correct answer. It's just plain physics that skinny TV's will struggle to output real quality audio. And as mentioned there's no incentive to find a solution when they can flog you extra kit like sound bars

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Based on your criteria get yourself down to Curry’s or John Lewis and pick a Samsung or LG that you like the look of, don’t think you’ll go wrong there.
Given it's HT asking, I think he'll need to go to Johan Lewiß or Currywurst's...

p.s. HT - truly, honestly, consider a larger TV unless your room is sehr klein. Definitely get one which is 4K resolution and ideally one which is HDR (essentially able to accurately show very bright and very dim things at the same time) using either OLED or QLED screen construction - I have a Samsung QLED screen and was LITERALLY blown away by watching the sunrise over the plains on an Attenborough documentary.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As most have mentioned, you can't really go wrong with a Samsung or an LG (I have a 60" 4k LG, as I'm a big fan of council chic).
One thing I'd say well worth considering - ALWAYS go for a matt screen, if you don't want reflections all over the shop in a sunny room.

Oh, and do not, under ANY circumstances, touch Sky Glass with a shitty stick. The TVs are bang average, you can't record anything only stream, and if your WiFi drops out then you're back to the radio or Jenga for the night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Given it's HT asking, I think he'll need to go to Johan Lewiß or Currywurst's...

p.s. HT - truly, honestly, consider a larger TV unless your room is sehr klein. Definitely get one which is 4K resolution and ideally one which is HDR (essentially able to accurately show very bright and very dim things at the same time) using either OLED or QLED screen construction - I have a Samsung QLED screen and was LITERALLY blown away by watching the sunrise over the plains on an Attenborough documentary.
We bought our LG from Lidl. I think there’s quite a few of those where HT lives.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I bought a Sony a few years back, about £400 for 50 inch. Wish I’d bought LG though as it tends to “reboot” itself at random times. You can get a very decent TV these days for £300+ pounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here