[Albion] Team to play West Ham

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’d be amazed if Lallana was available on Tuesday, he looked like he’d damaged his hamstring after 5 minutes.
It’s Thursday-Tuesday though not Thursday-Sunday, so I’d expect Welbeck and Milner to be OK for it and Pervis/Moder have 5 day’s recovery and not 3. We could really have done without the brain freeze from Dunk on 80 mins last night, although watching it back I’m struggling to see the yellow card in that tackle.

As someone with a ticket to Stoke I’m wondering why I’m bothering now?!! May as well save on the time/cost and go watch the U23s at Lancing!
We will possibly have Mazilu and any recalled U21s available and (a very outside chance) a new signing?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We will possibly have Mazilu and any recalled U21s available and (a very outside chance) a new signing?

I doubt Mazilu will be available. It will be almost impossible to get international clearance and him registered with the FA by mid-day on Monday which I believe is the deadline for him to be able to play on the 2nd. I'm not even sure if any loan players could be recalled and their registrations returned to us in time for Tuesday for that matter either.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hoping that Igor's injury scare is just that, and he can play. Otherwise the back four really is a conundrum - unless somebody finds WEBSTER down the back of the sofa.

From what we know of RDZ though, I think he's more likely to trust one of the young CB's than play a midfielder there. I think Kavanagh is at the head of the queue? If it's a makeshift one, then Moder would seem the best fit.
What I would suggest if Igor is out, is this -

Start Hinsh on RB — Van Hecke and Milner as CB’s - Pervis on LB

After 45 mins - I would take Pervis off - switch Hinsh to LB. Then having started Gross as a lateral MF, I would drop Gross deep into RB and have Moder off the bench to replace the lateral MF vacated by Gross.

🤷‍♂️ 3 changes but 1 substitution

Last edited:

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
No way baleba. He’s been a shambles. Needs a loan to the champ.

———————Steele
Hinshelwood - JP - Igor - estupinian
———moder - Milner - Gilmour
—welbeck——gross———pedro
——————Ferguson————-

Think Igor will play. He is a beast.
I’m amazed you’ve managed to find 12 players for your starting line up.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
We’re screwed at the back…. No Igor, Dunk, Velt, Lamptey, Webster…
JPV +?? In middle, with Hinsh at RB and Milner LB?
Got to play another youngster there surely

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I doubt Mazilu will be available. It will be almost impossible to get international clearance and him registered with the FA by mid-day on Monday which I believe is the deadline for him to be able to play on the 2nd. I'm not even sure if any loan players could be recalled and their registrations returned to us in time for Tuesday for that matter either.
Yep. We haven’t even signed Mazilu yet - we just have an agreement in principle to sign him given he was 17. Last report I saw was that we were going to loan him for rest of season anyway. (Realistically he’s not getting game time with us)

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Yep. We haven’t even signed Mazilu yet - we just have an agreement in principle to sign him given he was 17. Last report I saw was that we were going to loan him for rest of season anyway. (Realistically he’s not getting game time with us)
Plans change. I suspect having all 4 wide men out injured may trigger that change.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Plans change. I suspect having all 4 wide men out injured may trigger that change.
What change ?
Solly March out for the season will mean we’re in for a new wide player this window I’d argue but we’ve known that for a while. Some temporary injuries for Mitoma/adingra (who were out for the international cups anyway) will not mean mazilu is the answer - unless he’s showing world class promise already out there in Romania . At least I hope not

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think he'll start with:

Steele

JPVH Baleba Igor

Hinsh Gross Gilmour Milner

Buonanotte

Ferguson Joao Pedro

He's said that Beleba is better when the game is in front of him, and he will have to keep his discipline in a back three. I'm not sure I have quite the confidence that some others do in our u-21 central defenders.

There was a game a couple of weeks ago ? where Baleba spent a lot of time as the deepest of three at the back (although he did push up into midfield from that position before dropping back again). I think the above could be close.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

What change ?
Solly March out for the season will mean we’re in for a new wide player this window I’d argue but we’ve known that for a while. Some temporary injuries for Mitoma/adingra (who were out for the international cups anyway) will not mean mazilu is the answer - unless he’s showing world class promise already out there in Romania . At least I hope not

I've not seen these reports about loaning Mazilu straight out, we very rarely loan out youngsters straight after buying them now (unless they need work permits) as the level of young player we are recruiting has gone up. Facundo, Enciso and Ayari have all joined in recent transfer windows and all went into training with the first team squad to see how they got on, only Ayari has since gone out on loan. Yes Facundo might have done had it not been for Enciso's injury but he's kicked on again by the looks of things. I'd be surprised if we don't do the same with Mazilu and give him the rest of the season to integrate with the first team squad, get to know the players, maybe make the bench occasionally and then see what development path he needs to follow in the summer.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It would be ridiculous for any new signing (even if they were properly registered, etc) to go straight into the team for Tuesday. We are playing a VERY strong, physical team, in good form, at their ground. We need to go with the most experienced group we have (and that WILL include teenagers), and hope to scrap something from the game. Who knows, someone might be a hero. After Tuesday we effectively have three weeks off....hopefully everyone can get a decent rest (including RDZ and his backroom staff) for part of that. Batteries are desperately in need of recharging. I've mostly written off the West Ham game....

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
There was a game a couple of weeks ago ? where Baleba spent a lot of time as the deepest of three at the back (although he did push up into midfield from that position before dropping back again). I think the above could be close.

He played in that role against Brentford to help us with the lack of Lewis Dunk and it worked quite well. I think we repeated it for the Burnley game but it wasn't anywhere near as effective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports