Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Spurs (H) 16/03/2022

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the biggest issue is that I want goals and assists and chances being created by attacking players. When he was being deployed as a wing back there was less expectation there so his lack of output wasn't so much of a problem - although it was for the team. Winning "part" of the game is fine, but for me it's clutching at straws to use late goals as an argument in his favour. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but personally I think it's desperate.

I wouldn't say he's inconsistent either. He is very consistent, just at a lower level of performance than I think we need if we're going to improve. Keep playing him and we'll continue to win very few games of football.

This is where we will disagree.

If all our players were as consistent, as Solly we would see an improvement in results, IMO.

It isn't the levels that are the problem, it's consistently performing near those levels that let us down.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Outrageous I know, how about a March at LWB with Cucurella playing further forward on the left?

Just don't see what the point of this would be? Cucurella is a much better defender than March and in turn Solly is arguably better than Cucurella going forwards? Would be strange to swap them around. Could perhaps work with March playing right back and Lamptey further forward, although im not sure March is as comfortable on the right side of defence

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’d give Caicedo a run out. Won’t do much worse some of our other midfielders of late.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Hope Sarmiento is on the bench.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just don't see what the point of this would be? Cucurella is a much better defender than March and in turn Solly is arguably better than Cucurella going forwards? Would be strange to swap them around. Could perhaps work with March playing right back and Lamptey further forward, although im not sure March is as comfortable on the right side of defence

In the sense that Cucurella puts the ball into the box more often and quite often first time. They could of course interchange

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure I agree dropping Sanchez is the best option, although I understand the thinking. I think he could really do with us bringing in an experienced keeper in the summer to train alongside. Someone in the Ben Foster/Tom Heaton mould who has been around and can impart some wisdom. Training with the likes of Steele/McGill cant exactly be pushing him to be the best he can be, can it?

Foster and Heaton have both had better days. The question now is, would either of those realistically challenge Steele for the second GK spot.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Foster and Heaton have both had better days. The question now is, would either of those realistically challenge Steele for the second GK spot.

My point was more that spending time learning from a keeper with real experience would be a huge benefit to Sanchez- who clearly has all the attributes to be a top keeper but not currently anyone to really learn from and feed off (barring international duty). But to answer your question, yes you'd have to be deluded not to think either Foster or Heaton would be a big step up in quality from Steele as a backup

theboybilly

Unadulterated, prejudiced bullshit.

Putting aside that March was Albion MotM on Saturday, and just about the only player that didn't embarrass himself in the Villa and Burnley games - when are you choosing to start the 'downturn in form'? Which was the run of games BEFORE the form dipped?

the creditable 1-1 draw at Leicester? (in which March came on at 0-1, and we equalised five minutes later)

The excellent 1-1 home draw with Chelsea? (that March played his part in)

The home draw with Palace? (in which March came on at 0-1, and we equalised shortly after)

The West Brom Cup win? (that March played all 120 minutes of)

The magnificent performance at Stamford Bridge? (That March was brilliant in)

Please do help me out here.

Well said.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't get behind the March criticism, because it's Solly, but it's not difficult to see where it comes from.

HKFC puts up some great points but for me there always feels like something is missing.
Dunno whether it's just a decision making mental thing, but for me he just doesn't play as naturally as his talents would suggest.

There's always an extra touch, a pause before kicking, a snapped shot whatever.
It feels like muscle memory gets him through 95% of the job but his brain won't let go for that crucial 5%.

Sorry I doubt that makes any sense to anyone but me

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't get behind the March criticism, because it's Solly, but it's not difficult to see where it comes from.

HKFC puts up some great points but for me there always feels like something is missing.
Dunno whether it's just a decision making mental thing, but for me he just doesn't play as naturally as his talents would suggest.

It feels like muscle memory gets him through 95% of the job but his brain won't let go for that crucial 5%.

It does to me. And it's more noticeable and impactful when he's playing in the more advanced roles this season than the one he played last.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Take the points raised. He often pauses for a cross but to be fair this is usually attributed to no one being 1) in the box 2) in the box and free. There are of course frustrations.

I will counter with his thunderbolt against West Ham, hit first time on his weaker foot though.

Maybe he / they have been told to keep possession at all costs but this then goes against Potters public mantra of taking risks at the right time and not worrying about mistakes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here