Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Cardiff?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps a better comparison would be the 3rd round last season -away at Preston. Won 2-0

Not a lot different to be honest.

Steele
Roberts
Veltman
Burn
Bernardo

Sanders
Propper
Jahanbakhsh
Groß
Mac Allister

Gyokeres

Substitutes

Sánchez
Gwargis
Jenks
Cochrane
Yapi
Dendoncker

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, some in the team - but not all at once, as many have suggested. Apart from youth and lack if exxperience, a centre midfield that have never played together - not good; a back three who have never played together - not good. Yet many blithely believe that they will roll over a strong Mick McCarthy side on their own patch!

I think it's only us two who believe this.

I'm not talking about an unchanged line up from the weekend.

But on this thread some are picking Ferguson at 16 y/o and other young players like Turns who have impressed in youth football but only just graduated into the u23s from the u18s

I watched the u23 pre season game against Sutton Utd. It had exactly the players that people on here are picking to play Cardiff. We lost 6-0. There's a big gap between youth and first team football.

I'm absolutely fine with first team squad players getting game time. So Alzate, Connolly, Mwepu, Moder, should definitely play. Also it might be sensible to blood a young defender like Roberts, but alongside experienced players. If he's the senior defender in the team, we're obviously going out of the competition.

I'm also not any more positive about the idea of Moder playing centre back than I was about Gross playing left back. What does it say to new signings? "Come to Brighton, you'll get to play in every position but your best one, but only in the 2nd best up competition".

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The U18s are available - they haven't got a match until Saturday. Let's just get out of this winnable competition with a European place up for grabs as soon as possible, eh? Who wants a cup anyway? Not counting the Sussex county cup, we haven't won a cup for over a hundred years - surely we can be patient for another hundred years or so for a bit of silverware?

Yes, you've probably guessed it - I hate putting out a team to lose!

I agree with some of your sentiment, but I think you're selling our squad short.

Without wanting to sound all Billy Big Bo||ocks, Cardiff would be VERY happy to sign a lot of our 'fringe' players, or leading lights from the academy. Sure, there would be a few they haven't heard of (e.g. Karbo, Tsongui), but even with first-team starters, any team we put out is going to be made up of players who have done well out on loan (Molumby, Richards, Roberts), or are very much on the fringes of a decent PL team (Moder, Alzate, Zeqiri, Caicedo, Mwepu), many of which are full internationals to boot.
Add in whichever 1st team CB gets the nod and there's a decent team that will give any Championship side a run for its money.

Yes, we could put out a stronger side to increase our chances, but I personally wouldn't see it as putting out a side 'to lose'. Imagine the meltdown from some quarters if we put out the 1st team (or near enough) and we lose someone like Dunk and/or Biss to injury.

(Although an injured Biss means hanging on to Biss, so there would be a silver lining....)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree with some of your sentiment, but I think you're selling our squad short.

Without wanting to sound all Billy Big Bo||ocks, Cardiff would be VERY happy to sign a lot of our 'fringe' players, or leading lights from the academy. Sure, there would be a few they haven't heard of (e.g. Karbo, Tsongui), but even with first-team starters, any team we put out is going to be made up of players who have done well out on loan (Molumby, Richards, Roberts), or are very much on the fringes of a decent PL team (Moder, Alzate, Zeqiri, Caicedo, Mwepu), many of which are full internationals to boot.
Add in whichever 1st team CB gets the nod and there's a decent team that will give any Championship side a run for its money.

Yes, we could put out a stronger side to increase our chances, but I personally wouldn't see it as putting out a side 'to lose'. Imagine the meltdown from some quarters if we put out the 1st team (or near enough) and we lose someone like Dunk and/or Biss to injury.

(Although an injured Biss means hanging on to Biss, so there would be a silver lining....)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against putting some youngsters/fringe players in the team - just that we need to be careful not to put in too many and lose - we've got history with doing that!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I would be seething and incandescent with rage.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm absolutely fine with first team squad players getting game time. So Alzate, Connolly, Mwepu, Moder, should definitely play. Also it might be sensible to blood a young defender like Roberts, but alongside experienced players. If he's the senior defender in the team, we're obviously going out of the competition.

Potter has said that Connolly almost certainly won't play. "On the Irishman, Potter said: "At the moment I would be reluctant to play him tomorrow just because of the situation for the weekend and his capacity to play 45 minutes on Saturday and then go to Cardiff and then play against Everton.

"I’ve not made the final decision yet but I think, if I’m being honest, it’s more likely the weekend will be the feature for him and not Tuesday."

The only player I'm confident that he will play is Duffy as Captain and then Roberts and AN OTHER in a back 3 with. RWB AND LWB. We have been favouring this format. Up front he HAS to give Zeqiri a chance. Frankly I'm amazed Andone is going when this match highlights how bad our attacking options are ATM

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Why did they put Caicedo up front?

lineup1.png

line up.png

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The only player I'm confident that he will play is Duffy as Captain and then Roberts and AN OTHER in a back 3 with. RWB AND LWB. We have been favouring this format. Up front he HAS to give Zeqiri a chance. Frankly I'm amazed Andone is going when this match highlights how bad our attacking options are ATM

With Veltman & Burn out until after the International break, is it a good idea to risk Duffy in what will be a more physical battle than what he had against Watford?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why did they put Caicedo up front?

Run out of unlikely names to put in unlikely positions?

While I would be quite happy to see a few of those players in the team, putting out that team as indicated would be suicidal. Cardiff would make mincemeat of them. Good as our U23s are, in that cup competition where PL2 teams (maybe age-limited to U21s rather than U23s?) go in with League1 and 2 teams, they don't do well. Not just our youngsters, but all the young teams generally come off worst - the final stages have always featured only League clubs, no PL2 teams.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I understand the debate about playing a strong team but if fringe players don’t get a game in this match then they will have played no meaningful football should they be required for the league. That’s just not sensible to me.

I would give Veltman a game given he needs some match minutes. I would also give Alzate, Moder, Caicedo, Mwepu, Steele and Zeqiri starts. That’s 7 first team squad regulars and then give Richards a start as he earned it and you are only talking about playing maybe three inexperienced kids. From what I saw of the Under 23’s v West Ham Leonard should be one of those as he looked outstanding.

If I do say so myself - boom! (I didn’t know about Veltmans unavailability though)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fair smattering of (at the time) first teamers in that line up - plus it was at home, and Portsmouth were much less of a threat than a Mick McCarthy managed Cardiff at their place!
Veltman, Burn, Bernardo (although not much lately), Pröpper, Stephens, Jahanbakhsh (just about), Groß and Mac Allister were all first team, so overall a pretty strong team. Didn't fanny about - got through. Hope Potter doesn't fanny about and put out a team too weak to beat Cardiff.

It was still 11 changes to the previous PL line-up, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here