Votes: 106 63.9%
  • Hard fought draw

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I bet the nob in the van didn't pay the VED on the van. It would have been paid by the van owner, his employer. Or, to be more precise, his now former employer. I'm glad to see that his employer isn't taking the view that him paying VED brings an entitlement for the driver of the van to run cyclists off the road.

I always spell it 'knob' when referring to a stupid individual. Nob or Knob? Anyone?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But :censored: dangerous and foolish on the part of the cyclists.

Right, I am both cyclist and driver, and usually very much on the side of the car driver due to the number of idiot cyclists out there, BUT......it is not foolish or dangerous to ride two abreast, just bloody selfish, the foolish, dangerous bit is the motorist who attempts to overtake when it is unsafe to do so.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I saw a graphic yesterday that said if the damage to the road was taxed, a bike plus rider would pay £50 a year. An average car with 1 passenger would pay £5K.

Easy to see a graphic, to know whether it is a true reflection of reality is another matter entirely.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I always spell it 'knob' when referring to a stupid individual. Nob or Knob? Anyone?

I tend to spell it cock. :shrug:

Team bike, though I do think the editing of the footage is deliberate, probably leaving out some stuff where the cyclist was being a knob*. Whatever it was, it can't justify the white van driver's reaction though...

* oh.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Van, the bike is in the middle of the bloody road.
He should be nicely tucked into the side, so that the van could pass, but oh no had to keep in the middle of the road, tit.

Even the van driver himself is team bike.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I thought knob might be blocked so I went with nob. I am happy to call the driver a knob, nob, cock or ****

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Despite normally being with the motorist I am Team Bike here. Yes he was in the middle of the road and appears to have tried to wind the guy up (opinion based solely on the fact he then tucks back to the left when he rejoins the road - fair play staying on the bike though)

However there is no excuse for that at all and the van driver is an idiot for doing what he did and very lucky that the guy didn't come off his bike and have serious injuries.

Also to add to others (only read to page 3) there is no road tax and it is a vehicle tax. The tax hasn't contributed to the roads since 1937 (quick search) and is based on the emissions of the vehicle. If the argument was that they should pay it because the breaking and acceleration caused by cyclists then increases emissions they it may have some more credence yet would be near impossible to impose.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People simply allow themselves to get too worked up. So what a cyclist will delay your day for five or ten minutes. People need to calm down.

SAC

May 21, 2014
People simply allow themselves to get too worked up. So what a cyclist will delay your day for five or ten minutes. People need to calm down.

Very true but it is much more likely to be a delay of 5 or 10 seconds rather than minutes.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Chris Froome has just tweeted that he has been rammed off the road by a motor car, near his home in Monaco. His bike looks to be in a right mess. He is OK.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Team bike.

Too many pot holes by the side of the road - cycling in this area is a lot safer.
If a van needs to overtake he shouldn't be squeezing by tightly, he'd need to wait anyways till the other side is clear.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Had the same this morning, a dopey cyclist just fannying up the middle of the road a good 4 foot away from the curb causing a tailback which could easily have been avoided if they were to have just moved over a couple of feet!

On the subject of paying for roads, here's a suggestion ...

Why don't we reintroduce the provisions of the Highways Act 1555? This required every adult in England to perform four days unpaid work each year, to undertake road maintenance work in the parish in which they lived. Failure to do this rendered the individual liable to a fine of one shilling a day.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
While I'm not showing support to the van driver, I always give motorcyclists room to pass when I'm driving a car to make it safer for them and me, cyclists should extend the same courtesy to other road users. Maybe the law should be made to make cyclists have a rear view mirror.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Pleased to see that most people are, sensibly taking the side of the cyclist in all this. However, it is clear that there are many real ignoramuses, who should not really be posting in a serious discussion, when they have no understanding of:
a) the highway code;
b) principles of taxation
c) cycling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here