Votes: 106 63.9%
  • Hard fought draw

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well maybe if the cyclists contributed to the up keep of the roads like the tax paying motorist then they might be a whole lot safer on them.

I saw a graphic yesterday that said if the damage to the road was taxed, a bike plus rider would pay £50 a year. An average car with 1 passenger would pay £5K.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But the fact still remains the cyclist pays nothing via the road tax system, we all pay Income tax, VAT and National insurance. Ridiculous back at you sir!

The 'road tax' is based on vehicle emissions now. Cycle - zero emission.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
But they still use the roads, also we pay for cycle lanes via our taxes.

Yes also your tax goes towards schools even if you don't have children, cancer care even if you don't have cancer etc etc.. It's called having a civilised society. The nob in the van was wrong even if he pays vehicle tax

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Don't be ridiculous. Cyclists pay taxes, the same as everyone else. Income tax, VAT and National Insurance contributions, Council Tax. All go into the pot that pays for road maintenance. The Level of spending is, of course, controlled by the government who, if you haven't noticed, want to see LESS money spent on keeping the roads in good order.

Agreed.

Mintel research in 2010 found that those who cycle the most are likely to own at least two cars and pay tax on both.

If you tax cyclists, the long term impact will be to discourage cycling and reduce health and fitness levels, putting additional fiduciary pressure on the NHS.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If as Mr. Duncan Pickering states that a bicycle is a vehicle on the road then cyclists should contribute via taxes the same way any other vehicle uses has to.

They don't. Only polluting motor vehicles used for transport from A to B do. Not low emissions vehicles, electric cars, agricultural vehicles, cycles, horses, pedestrians, etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hate video footage like this it does not show it from the start.

Example i once got sent of on the football field for punching a player, because the ref saw me what the ref didn't apparently see was the regular digs with the opposing players elbows all match and then when the said player hit me first he was always going to get a punish:

You can' fully judge unless you see the whole picture, this is clearly not the whole picture.

People have thresholds and just maybe the cyclist pushed the van driver over his, after the cyclist was a tw*t for clearly being an arse driving in the middle section of the road then there was no need to.

Goad someone and expect the consequence or just don't do it.

The cyclist is in a safe area of the road, approaching a left hand bend, with double white lines. If you think that is goading the van driver, then you need to relearn the Highway Code.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All right, all right...so other than reducing motor vehicle journeys by people using their bikes, increasing health and fitness therefore reducing the burden on the NHS, using a vehicle that causes much less damage to our roads than motor vehicles, enabling those that cannot drive to get around more easily, what has the bicycle ever done for us? :shrug:

life-of-brian.jpg

But the fact still remains the cyclist pays nothing via the road tax system, we all pay Income tax, VAT and National insurance. Ridiculous back at you sir!

I know we've done this many times before, but let's do it just one more time ...

Road Tax came to an end in 1937, when the UK government took the decision to abolish the Road Fund and pay for roads and their upkeep from general taxation.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Both are pair of tw**s on this occasion!

But I'm on the side of the motorist in general the :censored: times cyclists ride two a breast they take the p**s and its :censored: dangerous!

Yes also your tax goes towards schools even if you don't have children, cancer care even if you don't have cancer etc etc.. It's called having a civilised society. The nob in the van was wrong even if he pays vehicle tax

If you had bothered to read my earlier post I was clear that both parties in the clip were being T**ts.

But I do think at times cyclists don't do themselves any favours when on the public highways.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A cyclist is entitled to hold the middle of the lane so technically doing nothing wrong. That said he was being a dick doing it.

The whole road tax argument for cyclists is a pathetic one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No road tax, no rights.

It's called Vehicle Excise Duty, not road tax. It is based on emissions of CO2.

For cars registered before 1 March 2001 the excise duty is based on engine size (£140 for vehicles with a capacity of less than 1549 cc, £225 for vehicles with larger engines). For vehicles registered on or after 1 March 2001 charges are based on theoretical CO2 emission rates per kilometre.

I bet the nob in the van didn't pay the VED on the van. It would have been paid by the van owner, his employer. Or, to be more precise, his now former employer. I'm glad to see that his employer isn't taking the view that him paying VED brings an entitlement for the driver of the van to run cyclists off the road.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
And there was me thinking that it was only British drivers who irrationally hate cyclists.

[tweet]861860980430696448[/tweet]

EDIT: of course, it could have been a Briton on holiday in France.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Don't ride a bike myself, but I'm backing the two wheeler.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not exactly a contest from the footage provided, he'll probably lose his job and his license and rightly so.

What the footage does not show is what happened prior to this which was undoubtedly some kind of intentional wind up that I have witnessed many cyclists do seeking to antagonise, perceiving no consequences other than to incite a reaction whereby they or their accomplices can start the cameras rolling.

Bicycles should simply not be on the road because it is extremely dangerous, and cyclists take their lives into their own hands by doing so, particularly those that seek to spark a reaction from potentially the wrong motorist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here