Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers Strike July 5

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Oh so you are a teacher, explains a lot. I never called teachers lazy, I just do not buy into the argument that they work harder than other professions. Not everyone on this thread agrees with you, perhaps you only see what you want to see. Bottom line is I pay taxes as does everyone towards teachers wages, as such I get an opinion.

As a teacher perhaps you can answer how many holidays, inset days you actually get a year.

Ok, Let's start with inset days, what do you think an inset day is? You know it is a training day in work yes, only the kids have the day off. So, are you saying training days in any job are a holiday, if so you have got very confused already. There are 3 inset days a year but what that has to do with holidays I have no idea at all.

Holidays, the kids are off for 13 weeks in a year. How much of that a teacher gets off depends on your position, a headteacher for example would not see much of that at all even in the summer. A deputy would get slightly more holiday and a full time teacher slightly more. Therefore it is difficult to judge exactly how many days as it also depends if you work in an international, private or state school. Also factor in that many teacher work extra evenings and weekends, especially PE teachers. Take this week, I have a parent's evening on Wednesday and a school disco on Friday night - still that is not working to you I assume?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Oh so you are a teacher, explains a lot. I never called teachers lazy, I just do not buy into the argument that they work harder than other professions. Not everyone on this thread agrees with you, perhaps you only see what you want to see. Bottom line is I pay taxes as does everyone towards teachers wages, as such I get an opinion.

As a teacher perhaps you can answer how many holidays, inset days you actually get a year.

Blimey, has this "teachers get it easy" thread come around again already? Happy to add my standard comment to this: my wife is a teacher, works 8am to 10:30pm every weekday, probably 5 hours each on Saturday and Sunday. In the "holidays", probably works a 40 hour week, also takes some work with her abroad on holiday. Works many, many more hours than me for a fraction of the pay, is cleverer than me, more dedicated to what she does. She certainly does not do this job for the money and the holidays. Right, see everyone again in six months?

Swillis - have a read. You are falling into the trap that many people do of assuming work finishes when the kids go home (or when the teacher leaves school) and that kids holidays are the same as the teachers. You are also very confused as to what an inset day is.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Swillis - have a read. You are falling into the trap that many people do of assuming work finishes when the kids go home (or when the teacher leaves school) and that kids holidays are the same as the teachers. You are also very confused as to what an inset day is.

I'm not confused about inset days at all, just strikes me that they could schedule them during one of the many holidays. Considering the teachers are not on holiday at the same time, according to you.
You also have not given me an answer of how many weeks holiday a teacher has. Let's say a normal teacher at a state school, how many weeks would you say they get off a year. My ex was a teacher, so I do have some idea but it may have changed drastically in five years.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm not confused about inset days at all, just strikes me that they could schedule them during one of the many holidays. Considering the teachers are not on holiday at the same time, according to you.
You also have not given me an answer of how many weeks holiday a teacher has. Let's say a normal teacher at a state school, how many weeks would you say they get off a year. My ex was a teacher, so I do have some idea but it may have changed drastically in five years.

6 weeks summer
2 x 2 weeks for Xmas and Easter
3 x half-term weeks

but you need to be able to start teaching pupils when you get back, so you need to spend most of those holidays planning lessons plus other stuff if you have other responsibilities (eg clubs, curriculum changes, etc etc). You can't be a teacher these days and teach the same lessons on an annual rolling basis - it doesn't work like that any more, it's a much more dynamic environment because of all the scrutiny schools and teachers are put under.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

See the post above in terms of number of scheduled holidays, this is accurate. What is becoming blatantly obvious though is that you are still confusing the kids holidays with teachers.

As for inset days in the holiday, can I ask why? Do any other companies or businesses have inset days on staff holidays, perhaps companies should do staff training on Bank holidays yeah?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
First day of my school holidays and I have spent it planning for next term. While trying to entertain my kids while they are off school so their teachers can lazy around doing nothing of course.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
See the post above in terms of number of scheduled holidays, this is accurate. What is becoming blatantly obvious though is that you are still confusing the kids holidays with teachers.

As for inset days in the holiday, can I ask why? Do any other companies or businesses have inset days on staff holidays, perhaps companies should do staff training on Bank holidays yeah?

According to you, they may be scheduled holidays but are actually worked. Forget it, I have learnt more from this short exchange with you than I learnt before. Backtracking, failing to answer questions and turning the argument to deflect. As I say, no sympathy.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There's something you fail to realise, I don't care what you think about what I do. It's your opinion, everyone is entitled to one.

Just because you're entitled to an opinion doesn't mean you're obliged to have one. An opinion usually carries validity if you have prior knoweldge. You evidently don't.

So why carry on with this ignorant claptrap?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Just because you're entitled to an opinion doesn't mean you're obliged to have one. An opinion usually carries validity if you have prior knoweldge. You evidently don't.

So why carry on with this ignorant claptrap?

What would you class as acceptable knowledge?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
My partner runs her own school, and has done since 1984.

The school starts at 8am, meaning staff have to be in at 7.30am. The school day runs until 3pm, although there is also an after-school club until 6pm.

Staff work until 6.15pm at the school every day, although often stay later until around 7pm preparing the following day's activities. They are also in many weekends setting up the classroom for the next day. They also come in during the school holidays when they have a bit of a 'reset' of the classrooms and working environment.

Their working day is, on average, from 7am until around 7pm. They don't have 13 weeks off a year, and they work most weekends. I won't mention inset days as they are regular working days for them.

They also attend open evenings, meet parents, prepare and write daily reports, meet officers from various children's agencies, advertise the school all outside the regular working day. There are almost certainly other things I've forgotten there too.

They're not relevant to the original point about the strikes, but it doesn't stop me from stating my admiration in how hard they work for the children to give them the best start possible in education. To criticise them in one large broad brush with the meaningless gibberish which has been offered, especially from someone who (a) doesn't know what he's on about and (b) doesn't care that he doesn't know what he's on about, is utterly ludicrous.

Put that shovel down now, Swills.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
According to you, they may be scheduled holidays but are actually worked. Forget it, I have learnt more from this short exchange with you than I learnt before. Backtracking, failing to answer questions and turning the argument to deflect. As I say, no sympathy.

I have not backtracked once. Tell me the type of school what want me to answer for and I will. How can I say how long holidays are unless you tell me if you are referring to state, private or international? You also need to tell me which teaching position you want me to answer for. Each school has different holidays.

If you are referring to a standard teacher at a state school then that has already been answered as I pointed out, I work at an international school so my timetable and calendar are quite different. Perhaps you should read the post above from The Albion Roar,

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

I have not backtracked once. Tell me the type of school what want me to answer for and I will. How can I say how long holidays are unless you tell me if you are referring to state, private or international? You also need to tell me which teaching position you want me to answer for. Each school has different holidays.

If you are referring to a standard teacher at a state school then that has already been answered as I pointed out, I work at an international school so my timetable and calendar are quite different. Perhaps you should read the post above from The Albion Roar,

For a teacher, reading is not your strong point is it.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
My partner runs her own school, and has done since 1984.

The school starts at 8am, meaning staff have to be in at 7.30am. The school day runs until 3pm, although there is also an after-school club until 6pm.

Staff work until 6.15pm at the school every day, although often stay later until around 7pm preparing the following day's activities. They are also in many weekends setting up the classroom for the next day. They also come in during the school holidays when they have a bit of a 'reset' of the classrooms and working environment.

Their working day is, on average, from 7am until around 7pm. They don't have 13 weeks off a year, and they work most weekends. I won't mention inset days as they are regular working days for them.

They also attend open evenings, meet parents, prepare and write daily reports, meet officers from various children's agencies, advertise the school all outside the regular working day. There are almost certainly other things I've forgotten there too.

They're not relevant to the original point about the strikes, but it doesn't stop me from stating my admiration in how hard they work for the children to give them the best start possible in education. To criticise them in one large broad brush with the meaningless gibberish which has been offered, especially from someone who (a) doesn't know what he's on about and (b) doesn't care that he doesn't know what he's on about, is utterly ludicrous.

Put that shovel down now, Swills.

That is nothing like a state school though, which is what I have experience of. My ex worked at one and certainly never worked anything like those hours, my friends wife works as a teacher and works nothing like those hours.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
For a teacher, reading is not your strong point is it.

Nor is yours evidently. The question on a state school teacher has already been answered as I said.

By the way, busy today are you? Surprised you can find the time to come on NSC in your job.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
That is nothing like a state school though, which is what I have experience of. My ex worked at one and certainly never worked anything like those hours, my friends wife works as a teacher and works nothing like those hours.

Quite. State school teachers work much longer hours.

my friends wife works as a teacher and works nothing like those hours.

You know that for a fact? You track her hours? Blimey.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Quite. State school teachers work much longer hours.

You know that for a fact? You track her hours? Blimey.

How many hours do you reckon he works? I guess 3 hours a day so now that will become fact. He only works 3 hours a day.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
How many hours do you reckon he works? I guess 3 hours a day so now that will become fact. He only works 3 hours a day.
Not sure he's working at all at the moment.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not confused about inset days at all, just strikes me that they could schedule them during one of the many holidays.

Up until about 25 years ago, teachers and children attended school for 190 days each year. Then it was changed so that teachers attended for 195. The school year was then allocated by each authority at 195 days, with each school able to set 5 INSET days throughout the year.

Schools try to allocate these days at the beginnings and ends of terms, but due to some expert trainers being in demand they do occasionally have to schedule an INSET at another time.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Nor is yours evidently. The question on a state school teacher has already been answered as I said.

By the way, busy today are you? Surprised you can find the time to come on NSC in your job.

Answered by whom. Certainly not yourself after I had asked you. I will leave you and the other one to get on with the mutual back-slapping though. Just read the thread though, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here