Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers Strike July 5

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
My union is the UCU (universities). Completely hopeless. Harping on about gender pay differences, while ignoring the fact that it isn't pay it is the fact there are far more male professors (a historiocal and sociological phenomenon) that is unequal. We get equal pay for equal grade (as is the law). Trouble is my union is run by cardigan wearing spaghetti knitting innumerait, who damage all the real causes with spurious claptrap and lost causes. I was called to strike recently but forgot there was a strike. My job is not ever going to graze my elbows or tax my lumbago. School teachers are much the same as me. I don't expect them to mount a successful campaign because they habitually sabotage their just causes with claptrap and nonsense, just like my lot do, only moreso. My union rep is an SWP member. As I have mentioned previously. :nono::shrug::facepalm::shit:

Well you do make a valid point to an extent. Many teachers have sabotaged their just causes, and unfortunately strike action has been proven not to work with the Tory government who simply don't care about teaching as a profession. They will continue to press ahead with their reforms, whether Gove is in charge or Morgan.

Undoubtedly there is a very just cause there though, but it needs a more united front, as the junior doctors have had. Until the point that such progress is made, the profession will continue to lose good and outstanding teachers who realise that there are better paid jobs, for much less stress and much less commitment out there.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My union is the UCU (universities). Completely hopeless. Harping on about gender pay differences, while ignoring the fact that it isn't pay it is the fact there are far more male professors (a historiocal and sociological phenomenon) that is unequal. We get equal pay for equal grade (as is the law). Trouble is my union is run by cardigan wearing spaghetti knitting innumerait, who damage all the real causes with spurious claptrap and lost causes. I was called to strike recently but forgot there was a strike. My job is not ever going to graze my elbows or tax my lumbago. School teachers are much the same as me. I don't expect them to mount a successful campaign because they habitually sabotage their just causes with claptrap and nonsense, just like my lot do, only moreso. My union rep is an SWP member. As I have mentioned previously. :nono::shrug::facepalm::shit:

I was in UCU but quit in disgust over one of their strikes years ago when the rep was accusing a member who was 12 months from retirement of being a scab. Joined another Union who focus on their members instead of being a large member.

UCU are on strike tomorrow, it's Open Day at Uni so we are trying to persuade 17 year olds to spend their time (and £27k) with us whilst these clueless plums are waving their placards outside.

Don't get me started on UCU president Sally Hunt and her six figure salary.....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I take it you're in favour of funding cuts for maintained schools, standardised testing of four year olds, forced academisation and unqualified teachers educating your children then?

You take whatever you want chap, I just started a discussion thread.

I will assume from your response that you have some kind of opinion that you would like to offer us.......

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I don't buy working until 10pm at home. At my son's secondary you will be lucky to find a teacher past 4pm, no doubt they all rushed off home to get to work again. Even so with thirteen weeks holiday minimum per year, they are hardly worked into the ground. My opinion and only my opinion is they have it no harder than other workers and cannot and will not get any sympathy from me.

Your opinion is exactly just that... However...
If you choose to offer it up in a discussion, please at least know what you"re talking about.
It seems that you are just guessing, having no real insight in the subject.
Therefore I would question the validity of your opinion and would rather see it instead, as a flippant, uninformed comment.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't buy working until 10pm at home. At my son's secondary you will be lucky to find a teacher past 4pm, no doubt they all rushed off home to get to work again. Even so with thirteen weeks holiday minimum per year, they are hardly worked into the ground. My opinion and only my opinion is they have it no harder than other workers and cannot and will not get any sympathy from me.

I'll invite you round and you can see how much work she does on an evening preparing for the next day...oh and she is a teaching assistant who most people think are paint pot washers....

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Utter nonsense blinkered view. You have obviously never known anyone in the teaching profession. Do you have any idea of the percentage of people who quit the profession every year due to the demands of the job?

Apart from an uncle who was a headmaster, an ex who taught secondary and my friends wife who teaches primary. No I dont know anyone.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Less than a quarter of the NUT membership actually bothered to vote. Apparently their workload is too heavy, poor little darlings......

Should wake up a few people as we wait for the big news tomorrow.

I take it you're in favour of funding cuts for maintained schools, standardised testing of four year olds, forced academisation and unqualified teachers educating your children then?

TOTALLY OWNED in the first comment.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Tell you what, if it is so easy, have a go! You have one day to plan 6 different lessons, teach them all, do the marking then plan 6 for the following day. Good luck.

I will explain again for the thicky brigade, it is not 13 weeks holiday, that is for the children, it is 13 weeks non-contact hours. Does that make sense?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Only in the world of 'blue sky thinking' and 'outside of the box' and all that boxxocks.

You must be a bit stupid. As I have said before, that is like telling a a businessman that they only time they are working is when they are with a client - working from home, preparing presentations, analysing data, collecting information, research and meetings is all holidays apparently.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Tell you what, if it is so easy, have a go! You have one day to plan 6 different lessons, teach them all, do the marking then plan 6 for the following day. Good luck.

I will explain again for the thicky brigade, it is not 13 weeks holiday, that is for the children, it is 13 weeks non-contact hours. Does that make sense?

I'm not being argumentative, but why leave it to the day before to plan the next day

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm not being argumentative, but why leave it to the day before to plan the next day

Because it depends where you have got to with the kids, some may be struggling so you re-plan the lesson, some groups may be far ahead, some kids need extension tasks, some need extra one to one help. You will of course have a general plan of what you are going to do but like in any job, you have to tweak and adjust for the situation. I also teach a subject that constantly changes, the events today for example will massively change what I will teach in the upcoming year.

I am tired of people moaning about teachers anyway, it is the laziest argument in the world and time and again those posters who are teachers or live with teachers always say the same things, that teachers do work ridiculous hours and that kids holidays are not the same as teacher holidays.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

Bit like telling me to perform a heart bypass if I was to think that doctors were striking and I did not agree with it.
Teachers have it no harder than lots of other worker's.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Bit like telling me to perform a heart bypass if I was to think that doctors were striking and I did not agree with it.
Teachers have it no harder than lots of other worker's.

So, why have a go at a profession you have no clue about? What do you do? Tell me and I will start laying into the profession I do not work in with some lazy stereotyping.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Good teachers tailor their lessons to their students and interesting question can set you off on tangent. It is impossible to plan too far ahead and remain flexible enough to cater for your students teachable moments.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I have absolutely no sympathy with teachers anymore. Yes their jobs may be hard at times but then so are all of ours. They get enough time off to make up for it.

You probably have no sympathy because you probably know nothing about teaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here