Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Taylor Hawkins Foo Fighters drummer RIP

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just a personal opinion. I’ve never liked being around people on drugs or drink as I like to know the real person. I don’t know you so who knows. Perhaps we would get on famously. Anyway, I didn’t mean anything negative and feel very sorry for Taylor Hawkins and his family.

You haven't anything to be apologetic about.
This thread is about a well known drummer of a famous rock band, who ultimately died at an early age, due to substance abuse overload.
Not a look at me post from Swedish climes.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I find it difficult to watch the eulogies about his larger than life character etc. If it came from the drugs then that wasn’t him, which makes it exploitative. I feel sorry for him battling whatever demons he was facing.

It's a difficult line to tread.

I can look at it, unfortunately or not, as someone who has struggled with drugs in the past.

I don't think its fair to say his character did, or did not, come from the drugs. From my own experiences I'd say Taylor Hawkins was Taylor Hawkins, whatever chemical was in his system. Drugs can change you. But, like alcohol, what they tend to do, in my experience, is elevate or enhance whomever you are in the first place.

I don't think for a minute that he was a bad guy. I don't doubt the sincerity of the tributes that have poured in. All he was, at the end of the day, was a talented man; vulnerable to the ebbs and flows of life that we all are.

I'm taking solace in the fact that, whilst we've lost a talented joyful human being, that same man has influenced countless others. He, his spirit, will live on. And for that I'm thankful.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's a difficult line to tread.

I can look at it, unfortunately or not, as someone who has struggled with drugs in the past.

I don't think its fair to say his character did, or did not, come from the drugs. From my own experiences I'd say Taylor Hawkins was Taylor Hawkins, whatever chemical was in his system. Drugs can change you. But, like alcohol, what they tend to do, in my experience, is elevate or enhance whomever you are in the first place.

I don't think for a minute that he was a bad guy. I don't doubt the sincerity of the tributes that have poured in. All he was, at the end of the day, was a talented man; vulnerable to the ebbs and flows of life that we all are.

I'm taking solace in the fact that, whilst we've lost a talented joyful human being, that same man has influenced countless others. He, his spirit, will live on. And for that I'm thankful.

That is the best tribute to Taylor Hawkins I have read. Thank you for sharing your own experience. Very moving.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

This resonates with me. I mentioned in my previous post that my oldest son has recently taken up drumming and is quite good. Today he’s been trying to teach himself Monkey Wrench, this makes me very proud. We spent part of the afternoon watching Foo Fighter and Nirvana videos on You Tube.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/taylor-hawkins-foo-fighters-death-colombia-heart-b990714.html?amp

‘Taylor Hawkins’ suffered ‘cardiovascular collapse’ after taking ‘cocktail of drugs’’

God only knows what strength or mixtures were in the drugs he took. Columbia is a druggies paradise.

Such a sad waste of life.

Drug use and addiction comes from mental health problems, a way to 'cope' with the issue which plainly doesn't work out in the long run.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
God only knows what strength or mixtures were in the drugs he took. Columbia is a druggies paradise.

Drug use and addiction comes from mental health problems, a way to 'cope' with the issue which plainly doesn't work out in the long run.

Yeah and more than anything, it is a coke paradise... which can do significant harm on your heart, especially if you body is accustomed to far less clean and potent stuff than they have over there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Trouble is the mental health issue can be as simple as carefree experimentation followed by addiction.

I suspect there are countless boozers on NSC who don't consider themselves as mentally ill.

Abusing substances is a sliding scale, I suspect. With a bit of ramping due to circumstances.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Trouble is the mental health issue can be as simple as carefree experimentation followed by addiction.

I suspect there are countless boozers on NSC who don't consider themselves as mentally ill.

Abusing substances is a sliding scale, I suspect. With a bit of ramping due to circumstances.

Do we actually know if he was a drug addict though? He’s said in the past he enjoys taking drugs; that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s an addict.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do we actually know if he was a drug addict though? He’s said in the past he enjoys taking drugs; that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s an addict.

Indeed. I was questioning the mental health speculation.

It could all have been simple carelessness.

It probably was :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I understand. I do wonder what’s gone on though. It wasn’t long ago he was talking about swopping partying for regular mountain biking. And there was the cancelled gig in Abu Dabei due to a “medical emergency” on a flight; no news ever emerged about this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I understand. I do wonder what’s gone on though. It wasn’t long ago he was talking about swopping partying for regular mountain biking. And there was the cancelled gig in Abu Dabei due to a “medical emergency” on a flight; no news ever emerged about this.

Some people can't resist a risk....when I think of some of the nut-arse stunts I've pulled. Too old for all that, now, thankfully. :rolleyes:

RIP.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
A very talented and funny man. Had a lot of love for music. And a Queen and Freddie fan boy. Loved it when he left the drums to Dave and let rip with the vocals. RIP.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Trouble is, with wealth also comes private doctors, and with travelling etc. you might have a doctor at home, one in another city, one on tour etc. A doctor’s prescription may only check with the patient what they’re taking. In the case of Heath Ledger, he unfortunately had a fatal mix of prescribed drugs, that on their own wouldn’t have killed him, but mixed together did. Ledger apparently had real issues sleeping especially when in the middle of a shoot. I can only imagine on a world tour with the adulation of stadiums of people, sleep, travel, repeat - it can’t be easy to keep an equilibrium.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trouble is, with wealth also comes private doctors, and with travelling etc. you might have a doctor at home, one in another city, one on tour etc. A doctor’s prescription may only check with the patient what they’re taking. In the case of Heath Ledger, he unfortunately had a fatal mix of prescribed drugs, that on their own wouldn’t have killed him, but mixed together did. Ledger apparently had real issues sleeping especially when in the middle of a shoot. I can only imagine on a world tour with the adulation of stadiums of people, sleep, travel, repeat - it can’t be easy to keep an equilibrium.

If it were me, on that particular ride, I'd be torn between an early night and the fist of glory. Had I had more money and 10% less sense of responsibility, when the siren was singing.... who knows. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That’s a fair point actually. As far as I can tell it’s only the initial toxicology report which has been published and (possibly) cannabis aside, all the other traces can be found in prescription drugs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah and more than anything, it is a coke paradise... which can do significant harm on your heart, especially if you body is accustomed to far less clean and potent stuff than they have over there.

That hasn’t been mentioned in a toxicology report though has it ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I remember reading many years ago that in Anerican private health care, if you have the money, you will be able to find the doctor who will prescribe you exactly what you want, but not what you actually need.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I remember reading many years ago that in Anerican private health care, if you have the money, you will be able to find the doctor who will prescribe you exactly what you want, but not what you actually need.

Yep.... and things like Xanax (almost impossible to get over here) are handed out like candy over there. Can be incredibly difficult to wean yourself off them and the side effects if you try are horrific. It's actually starting to come over here on the black market and there was some suggestion a few professional footballers have struggled with it which explains some dubious injuries (not Brighton) and lengthy lay offs

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

very much so , Michael Jackson , Tiger Woods , Elvis all addicted to sleepers and tranq's

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s a very different culture over the pond; I remember being quite shocked that prescription meds are advertised on tv in the US.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here