Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taxi for Miliband ?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
No, not for myself, I'm just reporting what's happening in the real world: from yesterday's Independent. "In the US since May 2010 real wages are flat, whereas in the UK they are down between 8 per cent and 10 per cent, depending on whether you use the Consumer Price Index or the Retail Price Index as a deflator."

Yes, but you are forgetting something. Brown, Balls and Miliband left a financial disaster. Even they, if they'd won in 2010, said that there would be years ahead of Govt spending cuts and public sector pay restraint. Private sector employers similarly froze pay to survive and stave off redundancies. As we both know, with cost inflation greater than that, that's a real terms drop in income. So it would have happened under any regime. Where's the news article in a highly regarded financial press source, that pins the fall in real terms income solely on the coalition? There isn't one.

Latest poll tonight gives Miliband a 7 point lead

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Politics in this country is a mess and indeed so is the UK. There's no sign on the horizon of it getting any better. I've got the choice of Dick Ed and Thick Ed if I vote Labour or The Bullington Bully Boys Dave and George if I 'shudder' vote Tory.
There are no other parties worth voting for as a couple of seats isn't worth old notes, ask the lib dems.
Ukip? Oh yes really now Fu.K OFF!!!
The only future for our kids is to learn another language and work abroad the UK is broken.

D

Deleted member 22389

There are not many people on here who will be voting for Labour, so why are Labour doing so well with the poorest leader I have ever seen in my lifetime.
Well you only have to look at places like London to give you the answer.

Yesterday was his last chance to talk about the membership of the EU and Immigration, two very big issues for lots of people, but he forgot.
There are enough voters who migrated to this country under his party, to make up for the numbers that walked away from the Labour party, so I don't think the Labour party care.

Mr Farage you can count me for another vote. I want be the last person to say this either.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Speak for yourself, not the collective "us". It fails to strengthen the argument.

Milliband and Balls spent 2 or 3 years laying it on the line that we would be in a double or triple dip recession, that austerity would prevent a recovery, that further state spending financed by borrowing was the only solution, that our recovery would be slower or non existent in comparison to other major Western economies. Well, they were proved wrong.

Spot on.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Keep it in the family eh.
Will Straw, Stephen Kinnock and Emily Benn – all descendants of prominent Labour politicians – will stand for the party in next May’s election.
Euan Blair was also linked to a safe seat, but another candidate was chosen
Working-class candidates are overlooked in their favour, campaigners say

Although in fairness, wasn't Emily Benn's seat in some leafy Surrey constituency where a chimp wearing a blue rosette would get elected without too much difficulty?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Should have got rid a year ago but they are stuck with him now for the election, but he will be a major problem for Labour

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Miliband why did he forget the debt they built up over ten years and immigration issues in his speech why the Doctors and nurses and health workers will be coming from abroad!:facepalm::nono::nono::nono:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Miliband why did he forget the debt they built up over ten years and immigration issues in his speech why the Doctors and nurses and health workers will be coming from abroad!:facepalm::nono::nono::nono:

Where the extra healthcare workers will come from is an important issue. There are not enough doctors, nurses etc in training in the UK to meet this need especially if he seems to be proposing to introduce these posts ASAP. They will have to be imported from overseas and this usually means plundering the already precarious health systems in countries such as India, the Phillipines, South Africa etc.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Should have got rid a year ago but they are stuck with him now for the election, but he will be a major problem for Labour

Agree 100%. As an old school Labour voter, it was pretty clear from the outset he was out of his depth. They should have taken a leaf from the Tories book and dumped him like they did IDS when it was obvious he was a liability.

Forgetting personal politics and what their policies are, its slightly ironic that the two Labour MP's showing the most leadership credentials in recent weeks has been two dinosaurs of the past in Brown and Darling.

I haven't been so disillusioned with the quality of national politicians in many a year. I despise the Tory Toffs with a passion, but equally I have little passion for the current opposition front bench. This conference just gone was the chance to dump Miliband and kick start the revival of Labours fortunes.

I really wouldn't want to wager how the next election will pan out. The Tories are despised and hated by many, but people are wary of Milibands competence as leader. Can't see either getting near a majority.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Speak for yourself, not the collective "us". It fails to strengthen the argument.

Milliband and Balls spent 2 or 3 years laying it on the line that we would be in a double or triple dip recession, that austerity would prevent a recovery, that further state spending financed by borrowing was the only solution, that our recovery would be slower or non existent in comparison to other major Western economies. Well, they were proved wrong.

Were they?

In 2007 the Labour government borrowed £38bn (the bulk (£28bn) invested in major projects)
In 2013 the Tories, sorry coalition, borrowed £91.5bn (and invested a far smaller percentage (£24bn) in major projects)
The current spend for this year indicates that the government will need to borrow £105bn for 2014, some £10bn over their target.

Recovery? Yes for some, you included presumably, paid for on the never never and on the backs of those millions who have seen their real income shrink.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Agree 100%. As an old school Labour voter, it was pretty clear from the outset he was out of his depth. They should have taken a leaf from the Tories book and dumped him like they did IDS when it was obvious he was a liability.

IDS is exactly who Miliband reminds me of. some nice ideas, appeals the core vote, but utterly dull and unelectable. the worst thing about yesterdays speech seems to be its not very controversial. conference before an election should be ruffling the oppositions feathers, getting the public talking and engaged.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Miliband why did he forget the debt they built up over ten years

Because as a percentage of GDP the debt from 1997 to 2008 wasn't built up, in fact it was a lot more stable than the previous 10 years.

fiscal-policy-4.jpg

UKInterestPayments1995-2017.png

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I really wouldn't want to wager how the next election will pan out. The Tories are despised and hated by many, but people are wary of Milibands competence as leader. Can't see either getting near a majority.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. My fear is that the likely outcome will be a lib/lab coalition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here