Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tarkowski (Dirty B'stad)

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Slightly OT why do we not let Gross or Propper take the penalties as the Germans and Dutch are generally more efficient and do not miss them very often and GM has missed 3 of his last 5.

Has Murray actually missed a penalty other than against Burnley since coming back to the Albion?

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Slightly OT why do we not let Gross or Propper take the penalties as the Germans and Dutch are generally more efficient and do not miss them very often and GM has missed 3 of his last 5.

Murray scored 4/4 penalties last season... and 2 out of 3 this season, meaning he's scored 6/7 penalties since he has returned to Albion...

You really are absolutely clueless aren't you

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray scored 4/4 penalties last season... and 2 out of 3 this season, meaning he's scored 6/7 penalties since he has returned to Albion...

When I wished Hemed was on the pitch for the West Ham penalty (a kick that only it's mother could love) no prizes for guessing which poster said they would have preferred Ulloa was there to take it. :facepalm:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But no, I'm sure VARs will solve everything.

I know you and I have been round and round on this so many times, but I honestly think this is the root of your problem with it. That somehow you can't see the benefit unless it does solve everything. It won't simple as, it can't solve EVERYTHING. But you will get more correct decisions.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

The commentator said 3 out of 5 missed of his last Premier League penalties. Might be worth a check back or maybe the commentator was talking crap.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The commentator said 3 out of 5 of his last Premier League penalties. Might be worth a check back or maybe the commentator was talking crap.

They're probably both correct. Last season he wasn't in the Premier League so his last PL penalties would have been for Bournemouth and/or Palace.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The commentator said 3 out of 5 of his last Premier League penalties. Might be worth a check back or maybe the commentator was talking crap.

That is what I based my post on but then you wouldnt have expected them to have checked it out before making such a bold statement, would you? so it could be wrong!!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
People with the position of relative power over the public often say things that aren't true , there's a lot of it about .

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
The commentator said 3 out of 5 missed of his last Premier League penalties. Might be worth a check back or maybe the commentator was talking crap.

That's probably true - but that wasn't what was said on here.

If BG had said 'Premier League penalties' it would have been a different story. At the end of the day... a penalty is a penalty - no matter the league...

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The VRs are really about changing the culture of football by using single incidents to put a signal out to players in general. It doesn't benefit the team on the day but it does mean players are accountable or at least have some way of being accountable for their actions. Players (in theory) know that a dive or foul play might end up meaning they miss a few games so less likely to try it (or in theory anyway).

As an aside I'd love there to be a weekly top 5 WWE moments on MOTD, where players have reacted theatrically to a non-event are featured. This week it was Holebas' who went down holding his face after a tap on the shoulder. It's very much normalise (as in WWE) that you accept any contact in the shoulders/upper body means a player will hold their head or face and go down as if injured. It demeans the instances when players genuinely have head injuries.

Of course the pundits don't like calling their mates out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's probably true - but that wasn't what was said on here.

If BG had said 'Premier League penalties' it would have been a different story. At the end of the day... a penalty is a penalty - no matter the league...

Is it though?

The goalkeepers are better at Premier League level and may (note: I'm not saying will) be better at saving penalties.

Beyond that, I'd suggest there is significantly more pressure on a Premier League penalty and that will effect the ability of some players to execute as they would like.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Nope. He's still shouting and waving his arms at the 4th Official.

He never stopped having a go at the fourth official all through the game, it is about time cards are brought in for dissent by managers. It was constant having ago at the officials by Dyche.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Is it though?

The goalkeepers are better at Premier League level and may (note: I'm not saying will) be better at saving penalties.

Beyond that, I'd suggest there is significantly more pressure on a Premier League penalty and that will effect the ability of some players to execute as they would like.

The keepers are better, so generally are the penalty takers. Players in the prem need IMO to be stronger to deal with the pressures than the lower divisions thats why they are at the top partly. I could be wrong though. Would be interesting to see penalty conversion rates by division, at a guess I would imagine there is not too much difference

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Banned for 3 games I hope. Just proves what a handfull Murray is when a player loses the plot like he did, Shame it wasn't a red and another penalty during the game though.

We benefit from Deeny being suspended I guess.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Banned for 3 games I hope. Just proves what a handfull Murray is when a player loses the plot like he did, Shame it wasn't a red and another penalty during the game though.

We benefit from Deeny being suspended I guess.
Handful is literally the right word. You're actually underestimating Murray here. Tarkowski had only just signalled to the bench that he needed treatment for his left hand (possible dislocated finger, according to the radio commentary) when Murray went up to him and grabbed the hand. That's when Tarkowski elbowed. Now, if Tarkowski had had Murray's experience he would have known that the correct thing to do (as Murray proved immediately afterwards) was to scream like a baby and to lie on the field crying his eyes out; and if he'd done that, maybe Murray would have been in trouble instead.

Instead of which, Murray has the immense satisfaction of knowing that he has deliberately hurt someone's already injured hand and that he's got away with it; and the satisfaction of knowing that he has provoked an opponent into getting a three match ban. I dare say he may be a little bit sorry that his actions did in fact hurt Brighton because Tarkowski won't play against Huddersfield; but I'm sure he can square that with his conscience.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Handful is literally the right word. You're actually underestimating Murray here. Tarkowski had only just signalled to the bench that he needed treatment for his left hand (possible dislocated finger, according to the radio commentary) when Murray went up to him and grabbed the hand. That's when Tarkowski elbowed. Now, if Tarkowski had had Murray's experience he would have known that the correct thing to do (as Murray proved immediately afterwards) was to scream like a baby and to lie on the field crying his eyes out; and if he'd done that, maybe Murray would have been in trouble instead.

Instead of which, Murray has the immense satisfaction of knowing that he has deliberately hurt someone's already injured hand and that he's got away with it; and the satisfaction of knowing that he has provoked an opponent into getting a three match ban. I dare say he may be a little bit sorry that his actions did in fact hurt Brighton because Tarkowski won't play against Huddersfield; but I'm sure he can square that with his conscience.

Haha who told you this? Sounds like the kind of rubbish that would be spewed by your manager. Good effort though...his dislocated finger didn’t seem to prevent him from playing the remainder of the game (didn’t see any strapping applies to him at any point)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

To be honest, after having a thug like Barton in your side I don't know how you can whine about other clubs.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Palace level straw clutching [emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here