Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Talksport

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Max and Barry are required listening -everything else, dirge.
Yep. Max Rushden is just a brilliant broadcaster. His show with Barry/Charlie is fantastic.

At 37 I have lost any ability to get remotely upset/angry/argumentative about football. False anger/viewpoints/debate to trigger discussions is tiresome but the core of what Talksport is. Max and A N Other is just fun.

When you still employ Alan Brazil as a morning presenter you know things are pretty poor. His job is mostly to read.....and he can't.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If I want to get annoyed on the radio I listen to Nihal Arthanayake on 5 Live telling me what a racist I am. I never want to get so annoyed that I have to listen to Talksport. It’s f***ing dreadful.
Nihal bemoaning how his chances have been stifled in life from his platform of a 2 hour slot on National BBC Radio, really is the definition of irony of which he is also blissfully unaware.

As for Talksport, Goldstein is a Man united fan born in Watford who talks absolute bollocks of the highest order. It was almost like he was created in a Sky Sports laboratory as the perfect customer for Sky Sports armchair services. Very rarely am I overs on 5 mins of his drivel.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Nihal bemoaning how his chances have been stifled in life from his platform of a 2 hour slot on National BBC Radio, really is the definition of irony of which he is also blissfully unaware.

As for Talksport, Goldstein is a Man united fan born in Watford who talks absolute bollocks of the highest order. It was almost like he was created in a Sky Sports laboratory as the perfect customer for Sky Sports armchair services. Very rarely am I overs on 5 mins of his drivel.
I like Nihal but he is quite a bland, vanilla everyman

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If I want to get annoyed on the radio I listen to Nihal Arthanayake on 5 Live telling me what a racist I am. I never want to get so annoyed that I have to listen to Talksport. It’s f***ing dreadful.
You’re right and I can’t stand the bloke and stopped listening to 5Live largely because of, but there are others too that have an agenda similarly.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Max and Barry are required listening -everything else, dirge.
Not for me. I find the laddish humour all a bit forced. Knowing them from the Guardian Football Weekly podcast, I think they seem a bit self-conscious on TalkSport. I think Glendenning in particular is cringing inside when they're forced to play those inane games. Guess the attendance. FFS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It's a mixed bag from Nihal for me.

Positives ... the Martin Lewis hour (but that's really down to ML), some sensitive interviews with people from the wrong side of the tracks and musicians, film/tv reviews.

Negatives - he ain't a patch on LBC's Shelagh Fogarty at the same time, the "bro" bollocks when talking to 21 year old rappers .... grow up, and unprofessionally unable to hide his personal view on political stuff (unlike Nicky Campbell, Tony Liveseay, et al).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Positives ... the Martin Lewis hour (but that's really down to ML), some sensitive interviews with people from the wrong side of the tracks and musicians, film/tv reviews.

I never knew there was such a show and I'm not sure what's worse.

I can't stand ML. The fact he signs off on Twitter for the weekend is the ultimate bellendery sign and his tedious tips on how to save 5p on a can of beans in his smug style make Eddie Howe seem almost humble. If the bloke was an Ice cream, he'd surely eat himself.

Nihal's woe is me victim style of presentation is the 2020's equivalent of Alan Green's commentary on any game he ever did. Both bemoaning their jobs in life - which they are extremely lucky to have had/have - should see them in the job centre for a real world dose of cynicism

No wonder I gave up on Radio 5.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I used to listen to talkSport a lot but now just listen to podcasts (and music) instead. I can’t believe Andy Goldstein is still paid to be on air to be honest - absolutely horrendous presenter and human. And as for that **** Brazil - he should have been taken off air for good the moment he took the piss out of Michael Yardy’s mental health.

Max Rushden on the other hand is a legend. He just gets it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I never knew there was such a show and I'm not sure what's worse.

I can't stand ML. The fact he signs off on Twitter for the weekend is the ultimate bellendery sign and his tedious tips on how to save 5p on a can of beans in his smug style make Eddie Howe seem almost humble. If the bloke was an Ice cream, he'd surely eat himself.

Nihal's woe is me victim style of presentation is the 2020's equivalent of Alan Green's commentary on any game he ever did. Both bemoaning their jobs in life - which they are extremely lucky to have had/have - should see them in the job centre for a real world dose of cynicism

No wonder I game up on Radio 5.
Agreed re: Martin Lewis. I appreciate he has done some good consumer wise but he also gives wrong advice sometimes. It’s dangerous how much sway he holds these days - I saw a poll recently that people would trust his advice ahead of qualified professionals who would be looking at an individual’s circumstance in isolation.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sadly, they've basically followed the general trend of replacing decent broadcasters with loud-mouth ex-pro's who's sole job is to ask thicko-baiting questions to get dullards to phone their premium line numbers and have an argument.

It's a shame. I used to enjoy Drive because Durham at least baited idiots in a less obvious manner (excluding the Daily Arsenal). Goldstein is dreadful. He just blabbers on at 100% miles an hour with such a meat-headed pro-United bias that it's unlistenable.

Sadly, Talksport has basically become one of the biggest arguments against the Joey Barton "Only male ex-pro's should talk about the game" narrative. Jamie O'Hara, Darren Bent, Gabby Agbonlahor, and Jason Cundy are the absolute prime examples of why "being a bloke who played good" isn't enough

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not for me. I find the laddish humour all a bit forced.
'laddish' is probably the exact opposite word I'd use for Max Rushden and his shows. He actively seeks to not be that. I'm amazed that's how some could perceive his show, but you know, each to their own.

It frustrates me that they don't appear to release the show as a podcast. I have to listen back to the show through the site and skip through the ads. It's FINE but not ideal.

Guess the attendance
Guess the player height
Autobiography Wars
The 2 word phone-in.

Love it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I actually really like Jason Cundy. Just amuses me, especially now Chelsea are such a shambles. Goldstein is.the most talentless of the lot who also seems to know nothing about football. Proper bellend. Shocking hair too. Thinks he's living in the era of Loaded etc.

Last edited:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Heard Goldstein the other day saying he had no idea who Johnny Marr was. So some Smiths music came on (presumably courtesy of the producer) and Goldstein asked if the vocalist was Johnny Marr. How out of the loop must a national radio presenter be not to know that Morrissey exists? I expect even Alan Brazil would be aware.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed re: Martin Lewis. I appreciate he has done some good consumer wise but he also gives wrong advice sometimes. It’s dangerous how much sway he holds these days - I saw a poll recently that people would trust his advice ahead of qualified professionals who would be looking at an individual’s circumstance in isolation.

It depends on which professionals. For 30 years I’ve been able to get to the bottom of the true charges made by IFA’s and latterly wealth managers. You’d never know from the reports churned out. An awful lot of people in the industry at all levels have become incredibly wealthy, at little risk. It most definitely isn’t victimless, ultimately it’s taken from the pot of ordinary folk, compound a huge dent when true returns often aren’t.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
When Littler was playing the world darts championship Goldstein started arguing that if he won he would be the greatest ever teenage sportsman even better than Pele😂

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Heard Goldstein the other day saying he had no idea who Johnny Marr was. So some Smiths music came on (presumably courtesy of the producer) and Goldstein asked if the vocalist was Johnny Marr. How out of the loop must a national radio presenter be not to know that Morrissey exists? I expect even Alan Brazil would be aware.
I have no idea who Johnny Marr was either
not everyone has your taste in music

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here