Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking the criteria of fanbase, stadium, potential and club history into consideration....

Old Estonians, The Royal Engineers et al are bigger than Reading as they have won the FA Cup.
It's true, Old Estonians are the only Eastern European team to have played in the FA Cup.

Forest? Miles bigger than us... European Champions twice, League Champions in 1978, 2 FA Cups and a handful of League Cups....
Historically, Portsmouth are bigger too, although currently struggling.
Burnley were huge in the 60s, league champs twice. Ipswich Town ... League Champions in 1962, FA Cup Winners 1978, UEFA Cup Winners 1984.... We may have a big stadium, and a big fanbase, but until we have spent more than just 4 seasons in the top flight, we arent as big as those.... in my opinion.
This is the most sober post. And what about Derby County? Recent gates/stadium along with their history make them bigger than us (for now). Weren't they and Burnley European Cup semi-finalists? A competition we could only dream about!
Norwich also 'qualified' for Europe during the time our clubs were banned.

Last edited:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
It's true, Old Estonians are the only Eastern European team to have played in the FA Cup.

This is the most sober post. And what about Derby County? Recent gates/stadium along with their history make them bigger than us (for now). Weren't they and Burnley European Cup semi-finalists? A competition we could only dream about!
Norwich also 'qualified' for Europe during the time our clubs were banned.

Norwich played in Europe, they were not banned. They caused a huge upset beating Bayern Munich in the Olympic stadium

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The guys who posted the all time league tables had it pretty much right. Our fortunes have improved - onwards and upwards, yes - but we've still got a long way to go!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Does it really, really, really, really matter who is bigger and who is smaller? Does it? Really? We are Brighton, we are our own club, however bigger or smaller we are perceived to be. All that matters are results and current standing. The past has been and gone. Corinthians are a bigger club than us, as are the Royal Engineers if you measure it on trophies. We are who we are and wherever we sit in English football seriously doesn't matter. 3pm Saturday however, does matter.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
See the problem with pissing contests is eventually you pee to high and you end up soaked in your own urine. We have pie in the sky people on our board too, asking us where we're finishing in the prem next season. They're like the people on this board claiming Brighton is the new super club and blah blah blah. Simple fact is Brighton are doing great to they were 2 years ago. Personally I'm pleased for you but this idea that you're some massive club is ridiculous. Size wise if you asked your average premiershit fan what league you're in they'd say league 1/2 as you've spent most of your time there in the last 30 years. You ask your average premiershit fan (and half your membership) and they still think we're a cash strapped team staving off admin.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Size wise if you asked your average premiershit fan what league you're in they'd say league 1/2 as you've spent most of your time there in the last 30 years. You ask your average premiershit fan (and half your membership) and they still think we're a cash strapped team staving off admin.

Now, I'm not suggesting we're a big club but I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. The last 30 years breaks down as this: Championship(or equivalent) 13 seasons, League one(or eqv.) 12seasons, League two(or eqv) 5.

So, if you take the division we've spent most time in it's the championship. If you take the two divisions we've spent most time in it's the championship/league one.

If you were to extend the time frame to the magical 35 years that palace fans are so proud of our record would be:
premier league(eqv.) 4 seasons, Championship(or eqv) 14 seasons, league one(or eqv.) 12 seasons, League 2(or eqv.) 5.

So, again, the division we've spent longest in is the champ. The two combined divisions is the championship and league one. Split down the middle, we've spent more time in the top two divisions than we have in the bottom two.

That reflects what, I think, historically we are - a 2nd/3rd tier team. Not as impressive as your 35 years in the top two divisions but then we've faced different problems and chosen different ways of overcoming them.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
See the problem with pissing contests is eventually you pee to high and you end up soaked in your own urine. We have pie in the sky people on our board too, asking us where we're finishing in the prem next season. They're like the people on this board claiming Brighton is the new super club and blah blah blah. Simple fact is Brighton are doing great to they were 2 years ago. Personally I'm pleased for you but this idea that you're some massive club is ridiculous. Size wise if you asked your average premiershit fan what league you're in they'd say league 1/2 as you've spent most of your time there in the last 30 years. You ask your average premiershit fan (and half your membership) and they still think we're a cash strapped team staving off admin.

Yup. Bang on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Don't disagree and my post above this one you made probably spells out that it doesn't matter. It just does not matter.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham, QPR for starters are not bigger than us. Were you not around for the sub-5k crowds at Craven Cottage in the late 1990s before Al-Fayed?!?! Arguably we are on a par with Southampton, Forest and possibly Birmingham, and with a 30k Falmer our crowds will only be 4k shy of Tottenscum Hotspunk's crowds.

:)

One season or 2 seasons of big crowds doesn't make you bigger clubs than them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So if Wigan won the European Cup they'd be a bigger club than Arsenal?

Nope, I could also have mentioned Forest winning the first division, the league cup, having the first million pound player and all the years they had in the top flight, but pointing out their European Cup wins compared to a club whose biggest achievement is losing an FA Cup final was sufficient IMO.

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
Forest? Miles bigger than us... European Champions twice, League Champions in 1978, 2 FA Cups and a handful of League Cups....
Historically, Portsmouth are bigger too, although surrently struggling.
Burnley were huge in the 60s, league champs twice. Ipswich Town ... League Champions in 1962, FA Cup Winners 1978, UEFA Cup Winners 1984.... We may have a big stadium, and a big fanbase, but until we have spent more than just 4 seasons in the top flight, we arent as big as those.... in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with that mind. Lets just enjoy the ride, and relax...

That's just it, history wise we are way down the pecking order, but pretentially we are bigger than many mentioned. Around 10/11th I would say.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That's just it, history wise we are way down the pecking order, but pretentially we are bigger than many mentioned. Around 10/11th I would say.

No, potentially Brighton are Premier League winners. If everything goes right for the club.

However, you could say that about any club. Any club are potential Premier League winners.

At the same time, potentially it could all go tits up and Brighton could lose its league status. The same can be said of any other club.

Potential counts for nothing. It has no place as a criteria for how big a club is. What matters is actual achievement.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Does it really, really, really, really matter who is bigger and who is smaller? Does it? Really? We are Brighton, we are our own club, however bigger or smaller we are perceived to be. All that matters are results and current standing. The past has been and gone. Corinthians are a bigger club than us, as are the Royal Engineers if you measure it on trophies. We are who we are and wherever we sit in English football seriously doesn't matter. 3pm Saturday however, does matter.

Spot on. Size isn't everything, to quote a cliche. We're revelling in the fresh lease of life the stadium and consolidated Championship status is giving us, and rightly so considering the battles we've had to fight over the years. But who cares where we sit in the rankings? We are a club on the up and however good our facilities are, we will only grow in status and success thanks to what happens on the pitch.

We've come a long long way together, through the dark times and the good ... We are who we are, and I guess all of us want to see the unique character of the Albion intact as we progress up the league and into the Premier soon. Are we 'bigger' than this team or that team? Who cares, frankly - we are Brighton, and that matters more than anything else. :Albion:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Spot on. Size isn't everything, to quote a cliche. We're revelling in the fresh lease of life the stadium and consolidated Championship status is giving us, and rightly so considering the battles we've had to fight over the years. But who cares where we sit in the rankings? We are a club on the up and however good our facilities are, we will only grow in status and success thanks to what happens on the pitch.

We've come a long long way together, through the dark times and the good ... We are who we are, and I guess all of us want to see the unique character of the Albion intact as we progress up the league and into the Premier soon. Are we 'bigger' than this team or that team? Who cares, frankly - we are Brighton, and that matters more than anything else. :Albion:

Indeed, size is subjective, status is real.

Size only matters to those that don't have the status to match it.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on. Using some of the 'logic' displayed on this thread Preston North End have done the Double, therefore they are bigger than every other club that hasn't done the Double. Charlton Athletic used to get bigger crowds than any other London club, therefore they are bigger than any other London club. Club's fortune's change, and all you can say is that 125 years ago Preston WERE a big club, it bears no resemblence to where they should be ranked today in terms of 'bigness'.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Nope, I could also have mentioned Forest winning the first division, the league cup, having the first million pound player and all the years they had in the top flight, but pointing out their European Cup wins compared to a club whose biggest achievement is losing an FA Cup final was sufficient IMO.

So if Swansea won the European Cup seven times and the Premiership three times they'd be bigger than Man City by your reckoning?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So if Swansea won the European Cup seven times and the Premiership three times they'd be bigger than Man City by your reckoning?

Of course. They'd have a lot more fans and a bigger stadium by that point too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here