Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking the criteria of fanbase, stadium, potential and club history into consideration....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Where do we rank in English football in your opinion?

Clubs bigger than us in my opinion are:

Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton, Liverpool, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Southampton, Norwich City, Leeds United, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Cardiff City, Fulham, West Brom, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham City, QPR, Aston Villa....

That would put us in about 22nd place. Am I being overly generous or is that about right?

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham, QPR for starters are not bigger than us. Were you not around for the sub-5k crowds at Craven Cottage in the late 1990s before Al-Fayed?!?! Arguably we are on a par with Southampton, Forest and possibly Birmingham, and with a 30k Falmer our crowds will only be 4k shy of Tottenscum Hotspunk's crowds.

:)

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham, QPR for starters are not bigger than us. Were you not around for the sub-5k crowds at Craven Cottage in the late 1990s before Al-Fayed?!?! Arguably we are on a par with Southampton, Forest and possibly Birmingham, and with a 30k Falmer our crowds will only be 4k shy of Tottenscum Hotspunk's crowds.

:)

Norwich have played considerably more seasons of top flight football than us and have also played in Europe. Fulham were very successful in the 1940's 1950's and have also played many more seasons in the top flight.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
I know we're bigger than Fulham. If they got relegated then their crowds would drop to what Wigan get at the moment.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Where do we rank in English football in your opinion?

Clubs bigger than us in my opinion are:

Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton, Liverpool, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Southampton, Norwich City, Leeds United, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Cardiff City, Fulham, West Brom, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham City, QPR....

That would put us in about 21st place. Am I being overly generous or is that about right?

Erm, Villa?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Norwich have played considerably more seasons of top flight football than us and have also played in Europe. Fulham were very successful in the 1940's 1950's and have also played many more seasons in the top flight.

Always a subjective argument though isn't it? Crowd size/fanbase and nothing but crowd size/fanbase for me, don't give a crap how many top flight seasons or trophies won (but as I say, that's just my criteria)

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How dare he forget the BIGGEST club on planet Earth!

Wednesday :lolol:

How VERY dare you. They're the giantest football club in the known and theoretical UNIVERSE! :bowdown:

Honestly, some people...

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Forest? Miles bigger than us... European Champions twice, League Champions in 1978, 2 FA Cups and a handful of League Cups....
Historically, Portsmouth are bigger too, although surrently struggling.
Burnley were huge in the 60s, league champs twice. Ipswich Town ... League Champions in 1962, FA Cup Winners 1978, UEFA Cup Winners 1984.... We may have a big stadium, and a big fanbase, but until we have spent more than just 4 seasons in the top flight, we arent as big as those.... in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with that mind. Lets just enjoy the ride, and relax...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Some megabucks businesses with a worldwide market.
Some clubs with their fingers firmly placed in the Premier League pie.
Some clubs bouncing up and down between the top two leagues.
A lot of also rans.
Some provincial sides with no hope of rising beyond the third tier.

I put us in the second to last category.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
how are we viewed by other clubs supporters?

I doubt not many Stoke or Leicester fans would say were bigger than them

and let's face it,we're not are we

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bigger than the Albion, in my opinion are:

(Current crowds would be one criteria only. For example Leeds are a bigger club than us, but Bate's pricing and a downer in the club's path, means they are behind us temporarily).
Liverpool
Everton
Man U
Man City
Leeds
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
West Ham
Newcastle
Sunderland
Villa
Sheff Weds
N Forest

In my opinion, we would be a similar size, given hypothetically equal sized modern stadia:
Portsmouth
Leicester
Cardiff
Birmingham
Wolves
WBA

Clubs that punch above their weight due to wealthy backers and/or lucky with team management at the moment are (but the Albion's conurbation and catchment populations are far greater, than these):

Southampton (conurbation population 268,000, compared to our 461,000)
Norwich (178,000)
Swansea (270,000)
Stoke (334,000)
Reading (317,000)
Hull (304,000)

Over time, these 5 clubs should fall unless they have a billionaire backer, and the Albion should rise with the right backing and manager.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here