Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Taking kids to their first football match - any tips?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Get some sweets,

There was a sweet incident in the NS, I think it was the Bournemouth game, where during the player warm ups some body at the back of the stand opened a bag of sweets, they sounded similar to mint imperials, I say sounded like because when they opened the bag it split and sent pretty much the whole contents cascading down the stand in front of them, it sounded just like a fruit machine win as the sweets bounced on the concrete down each level between the seats. As the stand wasn't that full at the time there were no feet in place to stop the bouncing sweets.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Can't comment about taking kids but do remember when I first went. I was 7/8, was playing for a team and watching whole Serie A matches on channel 4. I had been begging to go for a while, and despite it being a completely dull 0-0 game (vs Exeter City) I was absolutely mesmerised by the experience. We got season tickets for the rest of the season straight after the game, and I've had one ever since (bar the first season at Gillingham and one year at Withdean when I was away at uni).

If I'd gone along years earlier and found it a bit dull - would the rest have happened?
Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure, with hard work, you still would have gone to uni???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Enjoy. It's a great time to be had and savoured, but limit your expectation. My son wanted to leave at half time at his first game. It can seem like a very long time for them, especially if there are no goals.

Definitely bring lots of sweets and treats and possibly any electronic games.

Don't get there too early. You may think getting there early will help with less people about and they can enjoy the pre match bit but all it means is an extra hour of sitting getting bored, and lets be honest the club do very little now by way of pre match build up. I'd rock up to the stadium no earlier than 2.30pm if I were you.

Make sure they are warm enough, including gloves.

And definitely force them to go to the toilet before the game and then again at half time. I missed Richard Carpenter's goal away at Spurs due to a son saying no he didn't want the toilet at half time but then did one minute before the start of the second of the half. To be fair it was still an experience that I won't forget,but I learned to never take their view on whether they need a wee!

Finally don't expect them to get it straight away. It took my son (now 21) and daughter (18) many many years of hardship before they finally got it and really wanted to go for the football itself rather than just feeling it was an outing with their dad. It will be worth it, but don't expect them to suddenly want to go to every game. You are lucky its the AMEX though, imagine trying to get through all the Withdean years as mine had to. Painful. Gus and then the AMEX (thanks Tony) saved both mine thankfully.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wouldn't it be better to wait until they were of an age where their attention span was less limited , you can only put up with I'm bored for so long and before anyone gets on their high horse I was 14 when I went to my first Albion game
Regards
DF

ps) I couldn't disagree with this more, my son and daughter were both 3 when they first went. Both Albion through and through. Start them young!

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
Think it depends on the child. My eldest went from 3yrs old and watched it throughout never getting bored. My youngest is 7 and still finds it hard to sit through the game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
One final thing, not sure how they are with noise but my son used to find the noise when we scored very frightening. It made him cry. Wasn't helped because at the time we had rocket man letting off fireworks (which he was terrified of). I remember the Wolves game at Withdean, which I think we won 4-0 or 4-1, at 2-0 I was praying for no more goals, especially as rocket man at that time let off one firework for one goal, two for two goals etc. :)

So if they are afraid (and it is a noise they won't expect the first time) get some ear muffs or ear barriers as they seem to call now now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Take them on the train, take them to the Swan and buy them a burger. Immerse them in the whole thing. Don't let them **** about on a poxy phone or ipad, that's shite, talk to them, talk them through it, involve them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I took my son to his one and only live football match, when we played Darlington away in January 1998 - we lost 1-0 and I seem to recall it was a pretty shit match!

Fortunately I had the foresight to take a Thomas the Tank Engine colouring book with me, which he enjoyed immensely...!

Are you Ppf’s Dad?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I took one of my lads to Forest away when he was 6. We lost 3-0, it was carnage in the away end and he dropped his bag of sweets before kick off. He loved it and despite watching us lose 2 more without scoring - almost impossible that year - he is a massive fan 2 years later with a bedroom which is a Brighton shrine.

On the other hand, I took my eldest to an England game at 7, bought him all the tat, we won easily and he hated it and will not engage in any sporting event i take him to. This is to the extent he almost got a cricket ball on his head at 20/20 because he wasn't looking at the pitch and the big white cricket ball whizzing towards his bonce.

Some take to it, some don't. Don't force it, if they don't like it.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its been covered, some sweets, phone with games, id add paper for drawing. depends what occupies your kids if they are not drawn to the game for 90 minutes. lets be honest some adults struggle.

something not covered is forbidden bottle caps. take carton drinks, they are allowed and removes spillage disaster.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I told my two that they will hear some language today that is never to be repeated outside a football ground

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My son was 6 when he went to his first game at the Amex. He didn't pay attention to the game much, but noticed bits and pieces. We arrived fairly close to kick off so he wasn't hanging around and went down to the relative warmth of the concourse at half time. Made sure he had a wee before the game and at HT so I didn't have to take him during the game and kept him well topped up with sweets and a hotdog. He's now 13 and has been a STH for 4 seasons so clearly enjoyed it but, to this day, he cannot remember anything about his first game.

The biggest giveaway (it was the Watford home game where we lost 3-1) was that our goal was a penalty. Me - "make sure you watch, we could score". Him - stares at me. Me - "gooooall Did you see it?". Him "what Daddy?"

Have done this various times with mine and it’s mad how they don’t really get the penalty situation when they’re young :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mention that they won’t have mental health RAMMED DOWN THEIR THROAT at every game.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Having studied this thread with great interest I've decided that I will wait till my 5 year old twins can wait till about 8 before I take the plunge. Just not worth the stress. Of course in the interim I can still start the brainwashing :)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Took my first boy to an away match at Torquay at 3 months, he’s now blue and white through and through. He slept through the whole match though. Took my second boy when he was 8 and he’s indifferent. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here