Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Taking kids to their first football match - any tips?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hi All

Am taking my boys [6 and 4] to their first match at the Amex tomorrow. Any tips on things do do /things to avoid doing, and how to ensure the kids remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Let us know how you get on, my two boys are nearly 4 and 6 and I’ve been debating the right time to take them.

The 3 year old is more keen than the 5 year old at the moment, partly because he loves singing Sussex by the Sea but also finds adults swearing hilarious and has seen enough videos of games to know that happens a bit!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Take twice as many snacks as you think you need
Take a bag full of small toys to pull out once every 10 minutes
Be prepared to spend money on shit
If you're lower tier make sure you are off the concourse early enough to meet Gully etc
Leave seat on 40 minutes to get straight into the bog
Before you go make sure they recognise 'Aaaaalbion' and 'Seeeagulls' chants.
Make sure they're in colours.

My daughter is 5 now and has done a few games and loves the experience, though I reckon she barely pays any attention at all to the football.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hi All

Am taking my boys [6 and 4] to their first match at the Amex tomorrow. Any tips on things do do /things to avoid doing, and how to ensure the kids remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

I took my middle son to his first game at four, ended up calling his mother to get him at half time (Withdean v Leyton Orient) he was crawling under the seats ffs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Take twice as many snacks as you think you need
Take a bag full of small toys to pull out once every 10 minutes
Be prepared to spend money on shit
If you're lower tier make sure you are off the concourse early enough to meet Gully etc
Leave seat on 40 minutes to get straight into the bog
Before you go make sure they recognise 'Aaaaalbion' and 'Seeeagulls' chants.
Make sure they're in colours.

My daughter is 5 now and has done a few games and loves the experience, though I reckon she barely pays any attention at all to the football.

I can only add tablet/phone games to this list.

Took my 3 year old to the Bournemouth game (his previous game was also Bournemouth where I had to leave early due to his tantrum and my mood which was awful due to the performance), he loves the Bissouma song and enjoyed most of the experience but plenty of snacks and phone games were essential. He had the half time blues and wanted to go home but we got through it and he’s going again tomorrow.

He tends to cry when I go with his Grandad and don’t take him so I’ve clearly brainwashed him, all prior to his 4th Birthday [emoji106]

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Get there as late as possible thus negating the need for £20 worth of tatt each from the shop, fill them up with lunch before you go, inside the ground check it's still OK for kids to have fun as my grandson had his flag confiscated because it didn't meet some draconian regulation, no wonder the atmosphere is dull if that's par for the course.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I can only add tablet/phone games to this list.

Took my 3 year old to the Bournemouth game (his previous game was also Bournemouth where I had to leave early due to his tantrum and my mood which was awful due to the performance), he loves the Bissouma song and enjoyed most of the experience but plenty of snacks and phone games were essential. He had the half time blues and wanted to go home but we got through it and he’s going again tomorrow.

He tends to cry when I go with his Grandad and don’t take him so I’ve clearly brainwashed him, all prior to his 4th Birthday [emoji106]

Yeah good shout on the phone. Get some shows downloaded onto iPlayer/Netflix.

We've also taken MBH Jr #1 to Lewes which was just as enjoyable in its own way; more freedom for her to **** about in a daydream, play with dogs, skip up and down the terrace and easier for me to drink Harveys in the sunshine. :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Keep them away from gobshites, let them take something else to do, and take some earplugs if you don’t want them educated in the finer points of football supporting.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I started my kids off, when they were tiny, at non league games where we could get in for free at half time, and sit under cover. I thought the whole aggravation of getting to Withdean and potentially getting soaked would put them off football for life. And I remember watching the FA Cup final with my dad, on TV, when I was seven ... I just couldn't believe that ANYTHING could last that long.

The Amex is obviously a completely different kettle of fish and the young kids you see do seem to be enjoying it. I doubt many of the younger ones are watching the whole game, but even in the Family Stand I can't recall seeing any malcontents.

Have fun, take loads of pics of them to help them remember their day, and I hope they want to join you again at the Amex very soon.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was lucky as took my son to his first match when he was aged 4. He loved it and sat rapt by it for the whole 90 minutes. No ants in your pants or lack of concentration at all. This is the exception not the norm so don't have much helpful advice, sorry!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Get some sweets, if in the East Lower engage in the children's activities pre match and don't expect them to sit and watch the warm up and then sit through the whole match

Don't take sweets in with you. Twice in the last year over zealous stewards confiscated wine gums and minstrels saying I might throw them on the pitch. A bit daft as they sell their own in the ground! Maybe that's the reason.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My son loves football but even at 6 which was his first game it was hard work for him to concentrate for the whole game. 4 is in my view too young and you will end up having to work hard to keep him occupied. He could of course be the exception to the rule but generally I would say 6 is the lowest sensible age to take kids unless they are in 1901 or a corporate box where they can have drawing and kids stuff on tables to keep them occupied.

Saw a bloke at the Chelsea game holding a baby of about 9- 12 months old, utter madness and not good for the baby to experience that level of noise on tiny ears. Some fathers are sooo dumb or maybe just selfish.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Took my son to his 1st game when he was 6 - and realised very quickly he was just too young. Too long sitting in one place, didn't understand what was going on and he has no recollection of it now, aged 22. May have been scarred by personal experience but I wouldn't take kids that age unless they are precociously fascinated in the game. In fact I was worried I'd put him off.

He really started getting into it when he was 9 or 10 and I had a couple of trial runs at the Nye Camp, before taking him to the Withdean. Helped that he played for his local team.

Got a season ticket the next year (think it was the first Poyet season) and, university and playing commitments excepted (he's now semi pro), we've been going together ever since.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Can't comment about taking kids but do remember when I first went. I was 7/8, was playing for a team and watching whole Serie A matches on channel 4. I had been begging to go for a while, and despite it being a completely dull 0-0 game (vs Exeter City) I was absolutely mesmerised by the experience. We got season tickets for the rest of the season straight after the game, and I've had one ever since (bar the first season at Gillingham and one year at Withdean when I was away at uni).

If I'd gone along years earlier and found it a bit dull - would the rest have happened?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I took my son to his first game, aged 4 - and it was at Gillingham - and we lost., heavily if I remenmber correctly.

I failed to take sweets, books etc. but at 26 he's seen the Albion play in every division and keeps coming back so It can't have been all bad.

Thinking about it now I would certainly take food and maybe a phone/hand held device, as kids seem to spend most of their waking lives on them now...

Just noticed the club have sent out an email today promoting the Sale in the club shop - and some of the stuff is now pretty well priced - might be worth a visit before hand.

Good Luck and have a great day!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Avoid the trains. Some fans do take kids on them but I imagine it’s quite a frightening experience being unable to move or see anything due to being small. Plus the noise and drink induced merriment could be unwelcome to a 4 year old.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Don't bring anything. Took my son at 2 and a half. He instantly loved it and has had a season ticket since he was 3. He is now 14.

If a kid can't sit for 90mins without bribe, they are not ready.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here