Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not denting that he got the tactics spot ion but it was a bit heart in the mouth at the end which you didnt seem to feel until Murphy broke away and sealed the 3 points.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I honestly thought it was just a matter of time before they would score in the last 10 mins as we hung on yes we had chances but the majority went to Brentford and if not for a very bad miss and a few last ditch tackles could have got a goal.

Are you insane....! We should have scored at least 6. You and a few others on here are seriously glass half empty people.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I am not denting that he got the tactics spot on but it was a bit heart in the mouth at the end which you didn't seem to feel until Murphy broke away and sealed the 3 points.

Sorry, but from our evidently restricted view seats we saw nothing even close to this. I shall write to PB asking for a new seat forthwith.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry i have to disagree with that mate, we did look like conceding a few times in the second half, it could have gone terribly Pete Tong.

This may be down the amount of booze still in my system but I genuinely cannot remember them having a shot on target in the 2nd half.

Dec 4, 2013
Think you're all missing the point. All the responses so far have been talking about the football. OP referred to "literally shutting up shop" - presumably the club shop then? didn't realise they did this, but maybe it was to stop people leaving early

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Brentford, a good side, tried to give it a bit of a go towards the end. Of course they did, they were 2-0 down.

We easily repelled them.

And then scored a third.

I came away from the ground on a high last night. I thought we were brilliant, and dominated the game. I thought that tactically Hughton got it absolutely spot on throughout. I had a fantastic evening.

We won 3-0. It beggars belief that there are still things that people find to moan about.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Brentford, a good side, tried to give it a bit of a go towards the end. Of course they did, they were 2-0 down.

We easily repelled them.

And then scored a third.

I came away from the ground on a high last night. I thought we were brilliant, and dominated the game. I thought that tactically Hughton got it absolutely spot on throughout. I had a fantastic evening.

We won 3-0. It beggars belief that there are still things that people find to moan about.

Absolutely this

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Are you insane....! We should have scored at least 6. You and a few others on here are seriously glass half empty people.

Completely agree. Can't believe some of the comments on this thread.

Hughton got it spot on. I would have considered starting LuaLua and Wilson but both Murphy and Hemed did really well and deserved their starting place.

At half time he did the right thing with substituting Wilson for Zamora, who wasn't great in the first half. In the second half, we were losing the midfield so he added an extra player in there. It wasn't negative to bring on Crofts, just a sensible decision. We still had chances after that and could have scored more. Brentford had only one chance, which Stockdale saved at 0-0, other than that they offered nothing thanks to Hughton's tactics.

I can't believe we finally win by more than 1 goal and people are still moaning.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If we go for the third and Brentford score and we are battered possibly conceding an equalizer Hughton is pilloried for not shutting up shop.

If we shut up shop and still concede inviting more pressure Hughton is criticized.

If we keep attacking after being 2 -0 up and get 3 or 4 Hughton is a genius .

If we shut up shop invite pressure but hit them on the break and win 3 - 0, Hughton is a great tactician.

Who'd be a football manager!

I went for a quick wizz after the game and there was a guy shouting "What was that about?! We should've smashed that lot 5-0 easily!". As you said, who'd be a football manager...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

We easily repelled them.

And then scored a third.

Top scorers away from home in the Championship. And they had one shot on target.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The tactics were absolutely spot on, anyone that doesnt see that knows nothing about football or is just an idiot. Against a team who attack like Brentford do we did exactly the right thing, if we play them at there own game, you could be in for some ridiculous high scoring draw even from 2-0 up, it's easy as we've seen before this seen

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I went for a quick wizz after the game and there was a guy shouting "What was that about?! We should've smashed that lot 5-0 easily!". As you said, who'd be a football manager...

Only time we win by more than one - best win of the season, virtually stress free viewing in the second half, some great performances and still they moan! :shootself

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not a moan just an observation big difference, that we had to hang on towards the end until Murphys goal.

If you mean we had a 2 goal lead and were creating continuous chances on the counter attack whilst they barely created anything all game, then yes, we were hanging on. It was awful.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not a moan just an observation big difference, that we had to hang on towards the end until Murphys goal.

Brentford had 8 shots all gme, we had 12
Brentford had 1 (one) shot on target all game, we had 4

Press reports include:
(from the BBC) as Brighton strolled towards a third successive win.
(from Sky sports) secured a comfortable 3-0 victory at home to Brentford on Friday night.

The match stats don't show us as having to hang on, nor do the match reports

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't think we should be surprised by those tactics, it's a classic CH approach. It's fair enough I think - we are likely to end up with more points with that conservative approach - if not always maximum entertainment

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We've had to "hang on" in pretty much every game we've won this season.

Last night we were not hanging on in the slightest. Its the most relaxed I've been in a 2nd half all season.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Threads like this simply illustrate either that some posters like a good wind up or the fact that whatever you do someone will always moan and complain at something.

Either way, :shrug:

Try reading what i put instead of assuming things that clearly aren't true.
I merely stated that myself and a few others thought it was very odd tactics to shut up shop at half time.
You, along with a lot of others on here simply want to start pointless overinflated arguments with people, just because their opinion differs from yours.
I said in my initial posting myself or none of us are complaining or moaning just making an observation that we found a bit odd.
Why try and cause arguments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here