Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Its all about phases of play. Why push for goals when you are leading? The emphasis is on the team chasing and getting exposed to counter attacks. We did exploit them on the counter to go three up. Perfect tactics IMO..

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I am not a fan of counter attacking at home aw ay yes but not at home, although it worked yesterday I am more in favour of putting constant pressure on the opponents.

In fairness, this is coming from a man that has admitted to coaching a team to lump the ball into row Z. I suspect your tactical understanding is limited.

On a less sarcastic point, I'm assuming you thoroughly enjoyed our excellent recent victories against Ipswich and Wolves where we dominated possession in both matches?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Brentford were very good going forward but lacked a decent striker however they had a good few shots on goal and if Stockdale hadn't made three good saves they would have scored especially the point blank shot they had on goal very early in the first half.
I swear people only see what they want to on here. Its ridiculous. They only remember the good Albion parts of the game and not the other teams.

I think you've got a point about people on here only seeing what they want to. For instance, Brentford only had one shot on target all game (you can check the match report if you don't believe me), yet you've used your imagination to see two extra saves he's made. Cracking stuff.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Friendly criticism here. The result says it worked on Friday. And with a few pacey players it makes sense away to play counter-attacking football away from home but at times our tendency to sit back is very frustrating to watch, particularly at The Amex. How many times this season have we been ahead only then to sit back and invite trouble? On Friday this was compounded by the risible time wasting by Stockdale in the first half, which was just pathetic. I don't want to ever to see that again from a Brighton player. In the first half, at home! What did he did he was doing. What sort of message does that send out? I hope Bruno, as captain ,gave him the mother of all bollockings. And whilst we're taking tactics, why do we always pull every man back at opposition corners or set-prices rather then leaving one man up so they have to leave two back? I don't get it. Why not leave Wilson or Kaz, when back, up as an outlet..?

I take it your comment on Stockdale time wasting in the first half was when he stomped off with the ball & promptly got booked, when we had a throw in. Not sure where you sit but he was actually arguing with the ref as he & others thought it should have been a free kick after the Brentford player pushed Ridgewell into the hoarding. Stockdale had a go at the lino then picked up the ball in a strop, def not time wasting.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Its all about phases of play. Why push for goals when you are leading? The emphasis is on the team chasing and getting exposed to counter attacks. We did exploit them on the counter to go three up. Perfect tactics IMO..

People have this weird view that the only way to win a game is to thrash them 4, 5, maybe 6-0 - yet we completely outplayed Brentford, won by 3 for the first time this season and people are still finding fault. It's baffling.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Leicester are a perfect example of counter attacking football. Now I am by no means advocating a counter attacking approach from minute 1, home and away, but Leicester have won a lot of games this year with c.40% possession, or less in some cases. They defend well as a unit, from front to back, and they counter at pace by stretching teams laterally with overlapping full backs and in behind with Vardy/Okazaki playing off the shoulder, which in turn creates space for Mahrez in the pockets.

Saying "we're at home, we should push forward rather than sitting back" (I appreciate I'm paraphrasing multiple views there) is a primitive observation of the game today. We could be playing the Dog & Duck, if they have a period where they've got a bit of momentum and are pushing forward, a (temporary) counter attacking mentality is absolutely the right thing to do.

It's a bit bizarre to me that people can criticise the approach that brought us our biggest win of the season. The game was fairly evenly balanced first half (in terms of momentum) and for once we took our chances to go 2-0 up. I wouldn't say we sat back or pushed forward - the flow was pretty neutral. They then came out fired up from half time, as you'd expect, and we soaked up that pressure well and used Wilson as our Vardy, off the shoulder and running the channels, allowing Knockaert to occupy the space created. It wasn't a negative approach, it was a sensible one - we kept it tight and extended our lead further, rather than being drawn into ding-dong basketball style nonsense that could've seen us concede.

You could argue we could have had 5 as it was - had Knockaert reached the cut back or Wilson not taken a heavy touch when through 1 on 1 - would people be complaining about perceived negativity had we won 5-0?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Leicester are a perfect example of counter attacking football. Now I am by no means advocating a counter attacking approach from minute 1, home and away, but Leicester have won a lot of games this year with c.40% possession, or less in some cases. They defend well as a unit, from front to back, and they counter at pace by stretching teams laterally with overlapping full backs and in behind with Vardy/Okazaki playing off the shoulder, which in turn creates space for Mahrez in the pockets.

Saying "we're at home, we should push forward rather than sitting back" (I appreciate I'm paraphrasing multiple views there) is a primitive observation of the game today. We could be playing the Dog & Duck, if they have a period where they've got a bit of momentum and are pushing forward, a (temporary) counter attacking mentality is absolutely the right thing to do.

It's a bit bizarre to me that people can criticise the approach that brought us our biggest win of the season. The game was fairly evenly balanced first half (in terms of momentum) and for once we took our chances to go 2-0 up. I wouldn't say we sat back or pushed forward - the flow was pretty neutral. They then came out fired up from half time, as you'd expect, and we soaked up that pressure well and used Wilson as our Vardy, off the shoulder and running the channels, allowing Knockaert to occupy the space created. It wasn't a negative approach, it was a sensible one - we kept it tight and extended our lead further, rather than being drawn into ding-dong basketball style nonsense that could've seen us concede.

You could argue we could have had 5 as it was - had Knockaert reached the cut back or Wilson not taken a heavy touch when through 1 on 1 - would people be complaining about perceived negativity had we won 5-0?

Spot on. We only had 35% possession against Brentford, but there were numerous other chances that we could have scored, many of which like Knockaert's non-connection that don't show up on the 'shots on goal' stats. We controlled that game from the moment that Stockdale pulled off that early save from Judge, although I still think that we would have won even if that one did go in.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I take it your comment on Stockdale time wasting in the first half was when he stomped off with the ball & promptly got booked, when we had a throw in. Not sure where you sit but he was actually arguing with the ref as he & others thought it should have been a free kick after the Brentford player pushed Ridgewell into the hoarding. Stockdale had a go at the lino then picked up the ball in a strop, def not time wasting.
happy to be corrected although it did Seem to take an eternity for him to get the game going again. From WSU looked like he was time wasting.
Good to hear.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Elsewhere on here it was mentioned that the forth official confirmed the booking was for 'delaying the restart of the game' aka time wasting. By picking up the ball, taking it back to his area as he walked (not exactly rushing), while arguing with the ref, it is easy to see why it is interpretted as time wasting.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I think you've got a point about people on here only seeing what they want to. For instance, Brentford only had one shot on target all game (you can check the match report if you don't believe me), yet you've used your imagination to see two extra saves he's made. Cracking stuff.

And here is one of them ! Above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here