Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tactics today

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Which of Roberts’ performances to date are you using to suggest he’d have been successful against Burnley?

You can use this tenuous argument about any young player, which of Ferguson's performances to date suggest he'd be successful against Burnley? Not many but Potter still subbed him on.

My point is that in the few instances where we've played 4 at the back this season we've looked a far, far worse side than when employing our 3 at the back system. Potter obviously agreed eventually but the change was made far too late...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You've can't have watched us in many games this season if you thought Lamptey and Cucurella were in many advanced positions comparatively, they were reluctant to bomb on beyond the wide attackers on many occasions as they had less insurance at the back. One of many problems. If Roberts isn't a viable option at the back why did we sell Burn? A large portion of the blame is at Potter's door I'm afraid and I understand he said as much post match.

I've missed four all season. Lamptey had the ball in a forward position on numerous times today but rarely attempted to go past the full back and I don't believe for one minute he held back because of lack of cover behind him because, in the first half, Moder was there in support many times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can use this tenuous argument about any young player, which of Ferguson's performances to date suggest he'd be successful against Burnley? Not many but Potter still subbed him on.

My point is that in the few instances where we've played 4 at the back this season we've looked a far, far worse side than when employing our 3 at the back system. Potter obviously agreed eventually but the change was made far too late...

We went three at the back half way through the first half :shrug:

It’s not a tenuous argument, it’s a question you haven’t answered :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The tactics today are the reason why Potter won’t be looked at by any so called bigger clubs at this stage in his career.

Yet again we’ve contrived to make a team at the bottom of the league much better than they are and this has happened in previous seasons too. Just don’t know what he was thinking today playing a 4 at the back system with Duffy who has barely kicked a ball for months, it limited Cucurella and Lamptey in terms of getting forward and we gifted them goals. Sanchez had a v poor game and wonder whether he needs some time on the sidelines as clearly he hasn’t been as good this season…

Sanchez has flapped a bit and made a few mistakes, but we've still got one of the best defensive records, sit 9th on 33 points and he has also made some fantastic saves.

He's still young and learning. Who would we replace him with? Steele, Scherpen? no ta

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We went three at the back half way through the first half :shrug:

It’s not a tenuous argument, it’s a question you haven’t answered :shrug:

He hasn't had the opportunity to play many first team games because he's a 19 year old player learning his trade, but whenever he's played in the cup matches I've been satisfied with his performances. I would assume the club also rate him highly, given we frequently play 3 at the back and he is now our 5th choice centre back following the sale of Burn. Why would we sell Burn if we don't trust our other personnel to play in his position, pretty poor planning if that's the case.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Sanchez has flapped a bit and made a few mistakes, but we've still got one of the best defensive records, sit 9th on 33 points and he has also made some fantastic saves.

He's still young and learning. Who would we replace him with? Steele, Scherpen? no ta

I think it's a dangerous precedent to keep starting players irrespective of their form. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Sanchez and completely agree that you have to accept the rough with the smooth with him & young players in general, but would like to see us sign someone in the Summer to challenge him for the number 1 jersey as there needs to be genuine competition for places to get the best out of the team. I don't think Steele would let us down for a match or two even if it were to prove a point that anyone can be dropped if they aren't performing at their usual level.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would have started with the same forwards as against Man United, not Welbeck or Lamptey, being a bit more cautious about giving the ball away..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He hasn't had the opportunity to play many first team games because he's a 19 year old player learning his trade, but whenever he's played in the cup matches I've been satisfied with his performances. I would assume the club also rate him highly, given we frequently play 3 at the back and he is now our 5th choice centre back following the sale of Burn. Why would we sell Burn if we don't trust our other personnel to play in his position, pretty poor planning if that's the case.

3 league cup appearances :shrug:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would have started with the same forwards as against Man United, not Welbeck or Lamptey, being a bit more cautious about giving the ball away..

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Today was nothing to do with tactics. Burnley wanted it more, were first to the ball, won all the 50-50’s and had more energy. It doesn’t matter what formation or who plays if we are not up for it. Is the first time it has happened this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Today was nothing to do with tactics. Burnley wanted it more, were first to the ball, won all the 50-50’s and had more energy. It doesn’t matter what formation or who plays if we are not up for it. Is the first time it has happened this season.
Exactly.

Burnley fought and died for the result today.

Potter's fairies couldn't be arsed :shrug:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Tactics yet again woeful today - 4 at the back system and an easy blueprint from last week’s game for Gerrard to follow to give Villa a routine win. Or was it the players lack of effort again?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Difference in attitude between the managers , Gerrard said it was an opportunity to return to winning ways , Potter it’s another hard challenge,
You can see who wants to win the game most

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Difference in attitude between the managers , Gerrard said it was an opportunity to return to winning ways , Potter it’s another hard challenge,
You can see who wants to win the game most

And that was translated to the team. Exactly how the 2 teams played.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tactics yet again woeful today - 4 at the back system and an easy blueprint from last week’s game for Gerrard to follow to give Villa a routine win. Or was it the players lack of effort again?

Webster and Burn huge misses for this team. Lamptey & Cucu excellent wingbacks but average full backs especially with a fullback playing centre back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Eight timid sideways passes at the back culminating in an unforced error in midfield just gave Villa an easy day at the office. The lack of urgency or directness from the Albion never put Villa under any serious pressure

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Eight timid sideways passes at the back culminating in an unforced error in midfield just gave Villa an easy day at the office. The lack of urgency or directness from the Albion never put Villa under any serious pressure

Even then MacA and Welbeck had chances most teams in this league are putting away. MacA in particular completely bullied in midfield by McGinn.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Webster and Burn huge misses for this team. Lamptey & Cucu excellent wingbacks but average full backs especially with a fullback playing centre back.

I agree completely, but as Cucurella and Lamptey are two of our best players why not play Duffy in a 3 at the back and allow them to play in their best positions? Webster and Burn missing far from ideal but this system has not and will not work for us, and thought we would have learnt that last week. Again at half time amazed Potter didn’t change things, consigned us to defeat. Very disappointing again, and now all of a sudden we’re only a point ahead of the relegation tracker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here