Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tactics today

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Could something better be done tactically today? Probably. Not sure how much it would matter when plenty of players had a real off day.

Yeah. I didn't think anyone played well, and many played badly and/or anonymously. We were dreadful today as all teams are from time to time. Not Potter's fault.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Yeah. I didn't think anyone played well, and many played badly and/or anonymously. We were dreadful today as all teams are from time to time. Not Potter's fault.

I'm a big G.Pott fan but even I wouldn't claim that he could be excused any blame for today. If you pick the players the formation and the tactics then of course you are at least partly (largely?) responsible.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm a big G.Pott fan but even I wouldn't claim that he could be excused any blame for today. If you pick the players the formation and the tactics then of course you are at least partly (largely?) responsible.

I’m not sure he can be held responsible for selling Burn, Dunk being suspended, Webster unavailable and Duffy’s first start in months after injury. So he had absolutely no choice but to go with a 4 which holds the full backs back. I really don’t know what happened in the minds of the midfield but to collectively have an off day together at the same time left you wondering who’d you’d take off as they were all bad. It was a really bad day at the office, for everyone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well I don't know about anyone else but I was stunned with the way Burnley pressed from the first whistle. I was expecting the normal 10 behind the ball, two banks of four and try to hit us on the break, but it appears that Burnley have suddenly learnt to play football in the last week.

Having said that, we looked overrun in midfield and didn't seem to be able to live with them, but give Burnley some credit (I didn't like saying that either :shrug:)

Even after half time, when we improved, players that are normally reliable were mishitting every other ball, mis controlling the ball and losing tackles. I would really struggle to name a MOM.

Onwards and Upwards :albion2:

*edit*

And to round it off, some ****** on here lied about the tv screens being on in the concourses

Last edited:

Yes a lot of overthinking on this thread. Burnley caught us cold early on and got a critical early goal, then everything that could go wrong went wrong. You get those days in football, one game is not symptomatic of a trend, in fact even throwing in the lacklustre 2nd half in Manchester, still not a big sign of anything

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Well I don't know about anyone else but I was stunned with the way Burnley pressed from the first whistle. I was expecting the normal 10 behind the ball, two banks of four and try to hit us on the break, but it appears that Burnley have suddenly learnt to play football in the last week.

Having said that, we looked overrun in midfield and didn't seem to be able to live with them, but give Burnley some credit (I didn't like saying that either :shrug:)

Even after half time, when we improved, players that are normally reliable were mishitting every other ball, mis controlling the ball and losing tackles. I would really struggle to name a MOM.

Onwards and Upwards :albion2:

*edit*

And to round it off, some ****** on here lied about the tv screens being on in the concourses

They were on in the west?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes, we clearly should have played a 5 at the back against Burnley, but the Webster injury and the sale of Burn meant that was nigh on impossible. Hopefully GP will learn by his mistakes.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Absolutely this. Out of his depth today against Dyche. If uncle Tony really does want us to progress and become a top 10 team (at the end of a season) he will have to start thinking about Potters replacement. He clearly doesn't have the tactical nous required and can't motivate us to play well at home.

It didn’t take you long to pipe up!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Dyche played us brilliantly, went for high press straight from kick off, we know Duffy ain’t good at being pressed. It got us off guard, team looked confused and not in control, didn’t put a proper stint in. You also can’t walk through Burnley as they play two number 6s, Change to 3-5-2 at 55mins did make a difference.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One team were desperate and committed, the other seemed to have taken on board the hype and thought they just had to turn up. Simples

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The problems were partly tactical, but a shortage of options in central defence played into that. Should GP have started with Cucurella in a three and march at left wing back? Maybe.

But the main problem was that we seemed completely blind-sided as a team and as individuals by the fact that Burnley worked hard and pressed high up. We were on the back foot from early on and had nobody able or willing to take responsibility bar Lallana. Players were hiding, with the man on the ball often hopelessly lacking support. With opponents pressing, an occasional long ball over the top might have been called for, especially with Welbeck in the team to stretch them, but it never happened.

So a combination of team failings and woeful individual performances. Veltman had one of his least convincing games, Moder was passive, Maupay and Welbeck almost invisible.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
The tactics today are the reason why Potter won’t be looked at by any so called bigger clubs at this stage in his career.

Yet again we’ve contrived to make a team at the bottom of the league much better than they are and this has happened in previous seasons too. Just don’t know what he was thinking today playing a 4 at the back system with Duffy who has barely kicked a ball for months, it limited Cucurella and Lamptey in terms of getting forward and we gifted them goals. Sanchez had a v poor game and wonder whether he needs some time on the sidelines as clearly he hasn’t been as good this season…

Poor day at the office for first time in ages

Peps city just lost to Spurs 3-2 shit happens just be happy we are in 9th

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Tactics completely wrong. Corrected 45 minutes too late, then dunno why we made changes a few mins into the restart as it fell apart then. GP hasnt become a bad manager overnight in one game but so frustrating. Burnley did their homework and played compact and 2 lines of 4 we needed the ball over the top or played around the, and only with 3 at back was that possible. Missed Webster and Dunk and Burn sold hasnt helped today. NO idea why Ferguson came on lost all shape then too. Dreadful game I just wanna forget by THRASHING Villa.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure what the OP is on about. Firstly, with both Dunk and Webster out we had little choice at the back. I also saw Lamptey and Cucurella in many advanced positions during the game. It wasn't the tactics that let us down, it was the players. Consistently giving the ball away. Burnley pressed faster and wanted it more.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Not sure what the OP is on about. Firstly, with both Dunk and Webster out we had little choice at the back. I also saw Lamptey and Cucurella in many advanced positions during the game. It wasn't the tactics that let us down, it was the players. Consistently giving the ball away. Burnley pressed faster and wanted it more.

You've can't have watched us in many games this season if you thought Lamptey and Cucurella were in many advanced positions comparatively, they were reluctant to bomb on beyond the wide attackers on many occasions as they had less insurance at the back. One of many problems. If Roberts isn't a viable option at the back why did we sell Burn? A large portion of the blame is at Potter's door I'm afraid and I understand he said as much post match.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Play Haydon Roberts and stick to the 3 at the back system that we've looked so good in this season, 4 at the back just doesn't work for us with the personnel we've got.

Which of Roberts’ performances to date are you using to suggest he’d have been successful against Burnley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here