Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swindon v Brighton (abandoned)

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
I remember that game-A girl I went to school with lived a couple of doors down from
Brian Horton and claimed he had a New Years party the night before the game and that the players were suffering for it the next day.

Unbelievable luck-4-0 down and the match abandoned

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was at the game.

It was raining pretty hard, and the pitch was pretty cut up, but not unplayable.

I was told the following story - how much is true, who knows! On arrival at the ground the ref told Mullery the game was off, and before setting off home the players tucked into fish and chips.........the ref then changed his mind, and said the game was on!Mullery threw a fit, and the ref said he would stop the game if there was any more rain.

We were 4 down, the pitch was fine, but then the rain came, and the ref abandonned the game!

We wer already promoted by the time the game was replayed.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was there our fans went on to the pitch to ridicule Swindon (Nelson Muntz style). Their "Top Boy" came on to the pitch as well (Cos he was a hard chap!)

Happy Days!

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
On a sadder note ,the son of one of my dad's work colleagues died in a car accident in the pouring rain at Dial Post on the way home from the abandonned game-puts life in perspective doesn't it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I was there,sat in main stand and it 'tipped it' down all day. We were 4-0 down and the pitch was a bog unplayable almost (but how many were back then ? Remember the Baseball ground ? ) Went on the Seagull Special and were told no lights on the train and blinds down until train had cleared Swindon ! Ah those were the days. :ohmy:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I went also on the Seagull Special as we did to most away games. We used to keep Stavros on his toes.
We had the windows put in a few times. I remember at Wolverhampton on the way home from Wrexham once, we got ambushed big time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was there,sat in main stand and it 'tipped it' down all day. We were 4-0 down and the pitch was a bog unplayable almost (but how many were back then ? Remember the Baseball ground ? ) Went on the Seagull Special and were told no lights on the train and blinds down until train had cleared Swindon ! Ah those were the days. :ohmy:

Yes, and I remember some little scroat nicked my seat on the way back and I had to sit in the corridor, like the Liverpool FA Cup 2-1. Its a bloody long way from Swindon sat on the floor!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i was their a load of us got chucked out of the home end just as game got started when seagulls got sung they were the days!!:laugh:

forgive me, but I cant remember "Seagulls" being sung until the very late 70's even the early eighties....perhaps you may have been shouting "Brighton".

That sounds a pathetically pendant reply and I apologise

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
forgive me, but I cant remember "Seagulls" being sung until the very late 70's even the early eighties....perhaps you may have been shouting "Brighton".

That sounds a pathetically pendant reply and I apologise

The 'Seagulls ' chant came along to combat the 'Eagles' chant around '76.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 'Seagulls ' chant came along to combat the 'Eagles' chant around '76.

Think it was the 74/75 season. We beat them 2 - 0 at the Goldstone. Carwash you were right in the response to Eagles. I first recall singing it in earnest at the end of the season when we drew 1-1 at Aldershot. My first away game!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Think it was the 74/75 season. We beat them 2 - 0 at the Goldstone. Carwash you were right in the response to Eagles. I first recall singing it in earnest at the end of the season when we drew 1-1 at Aldershot. My first away game!

I stand corrected. I can remember singing it for the first time when we played Palace at home, but I couldn't remember when!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here