Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex shortlisted for Team of the Year.

Sussex have made the shortlist of 3 for the Sports Personality Team of the year.

The shortlist is:
Sussex CCC
The European Ryder Cup Team
St Helens RL

There has been a debate on 5Live for the past couple of hours with the panel on there tasked with choosing the shortlist.

We will be able to vote (for Sussex natch) from Friday. Details will be on the BBC website.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Golf must be the favourite I would have thought.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
We will be able to vote (for Sussex natch) from Friday.

Sorry but I won't be wasting my time. I can imagine the shortlist meeting.

'right, so shall we just give it to the golfers?'
'can't really. people have to vote so we can make money'
'ok then, Sussex and St Helens as well?'

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I see that the BBC South Sports Personality of the Year awards are in the pipeline too.

Presumably the usual range of Hampshire based nobodies- I'm guessing the prime candidates will be

-Harry Redknapp
-Ellen McArthur (it's in the rules she has to be included)
-Some 15 year old gymnast from Gosport
-A one legged sailor from Petersfield who finished seventh in the Wilko-Lidl Round The World Backwards Using Only One Oar Global Challenge

Re: Re: Sussex shortlisted for Team of the Year.

Timbo said:
Sorry but I won't be wasting my time. I can imagine the shortlist meeting.

'right, so shall we just give it to the golfers?'
'can't really. people have to vote so we can make money'
'ok then, Sussex and St Helens as well?'

Or you could have read my post and taken that it has been a live debate on 5Live for the past 2 hours.

Do what you like, but I for one will definitely be voting.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Sussex shortlisted for Team of the Year.

Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Or you could have read my post and taken that it has been a live debate on 5Live for the past 2 hours.

Not sure what you're trying to say there. Is it that just because someone's been talking about it on the radio, Sussex have a chance of winning?

The Ryder Cup Team will win. If you wish to waste 50p it's your shout.

On the subject of all this, in the bookies they have a list of odds for Sports Personality of the year. I knew who Monty Panesar was (who, after 3 or so tests appears to be a sporting icon) and assumed D Clarke was the golfer. However Zara Phillips appeared to be on the list. Was someone taking the piss or does she actually participate in a sport? The other 6 I'd never heard of.

Zara Phillips is currently world champion in her showjumping catergory. She basically won everything that she entered this year.

What I was trying to say was that for the past two hours there has been a live debate on 5Live to decide who the 3 shortlisted teams would be. Nothing was decided until this evening. There was even a long debate about whether or not the Ryder Cup team should be included, given that they are NOT a British team. I would think that possibly as Darren Clarke is nailed on to win the individual award there may be a bit more scope for Sussex to win the team award.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sussex shortlisted for Team of the Year.

Timbo said:
However Zara Phillips appeared to be on the list. Was someone taking the piss or does she actually participate in a sport?

She is the current world champion in a very competitive sport, that's all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Zara Phillips is currently world champion in her showjumping catergory. She basically won everything that she entered this year.

Its not showjumping, its eventing; showjumping, dressage and cross-country.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
William Hill rate the Ryder Cup team as their 1/40 favourites to win the Team sports personality of the year with St Helens offered at 12/1 and 16/1 offered for the Sussex cricket team. Darren Clark is the 2/9 favourite to win the individual award.

"The European Ryder Cup team are always going to be the red hot favourites for the team of the year but the other contenders are worthy. Never count your chickens," said Hills spokesman Rupert Adams.

It might be worth backing Sussex NOW if we're going to organise some sort of campaign.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
sadly, Zara Phillips is likely to win.

This reflects

(a) a generally appalling year for British sport

and

(b) the fact that this is one of the few TV voting competitions that horsey upper class types ever get off their tweed rugs to call in for (as opposed to proletarian shows like Big Brother and X Factor).

Apparently Country Life, or Horse & Hound, or some such hay-scented toff-fodder has launched a campaign urging everyone in the country named Henrietta, Ginny, Tarquin and Sebastian to get their butlers to vote for Zara (in between chasing foxes around the countryside and registering one's youngest for Eton).

:p

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
What I was trying to say was that for the past two hours there has been a live debate on 5Live to decide who the 3 shortlisted teams would be. Nothing was decided until this evening.

OK got it now. Sorry!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Matt Dawson, the rugby player off QofSport was talking Sussex up big time. I thought it was a good programme - especially Tony McCoy (Gooner) who couldn't bring himself to endorse Chelski as an option.

We maybe can't beat the Ryder Cup Team, but if we can't organise ourselves to beat the northern egg chasers and get 2nd spot, what sort of campaigning site is this?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here