Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex coast windfarm a step closer

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The royal family own the seabed in British waters. Unsurprising that Prince Charles is in favour - there was one proposed wind farm off the Scotland coast he was campaigning for... Turns out he was due to make millions from it. God bless 'em

this is simply false. the Crown estate owns the seabed of British waters and the revenue from that goes to the treasury.
It doesn't need to be wind farms or no wind farms, solar energy or no solar energy. Being realistic, the best way forward would be to continue to develop the clean sources of energy and manage the withdrawl from "dirty" fossil fuels.

yes, and one of the best ways of doing that would be to adopt clean burning coal rather than shutting them all down.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Have they answered how they are going to deal with one of the 100m Shoreham bound aggregate ships when it loses power in a storm & is rudderless, scything them down at £1m a pop

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nuclear
or
rubbing sticks together

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Have they answered how they are going to deal with one of the 100m Shoreham bound aggregate ships when it loses power in a storm & is rudderless, scything them down at £1m a pop

Your first post on this subject was dismissed on pages 1 & 2, if you'd care to glance backwards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what is their plan, in the busiest shipping lane in the World, when a supertanker loses power in a storm and ploughs through them knocking them down like skittles & spilling hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil through the punctured skin of the ship?

There are wind farms in the channel already. Maybe they will adopt the same plan? No point reinventing the wheel.

But they don't own the oil underneath it? Bizarre. I imagine they owned the lot until oil was dicovered, and the government pointed out the royal family couldn't have it.

It's all laid down in the bible ...

Matthew, Chapter 5, Verse 5:-

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. But the rich will retain the mineral rights".

It's all laid down in the bible ...

Matthew, Chapter 5, Verse 5:-

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. But the rich will retain the mineral rights".

Thank you Lord B, I always thought it was "The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's o.k. with the rest of you".

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have a mixed reaction to this. It is in my back yard, which really doesn't bother me, but the fact that it is so much more expensive than placing wind farms on land does cause me concern. An important step forward, but what opportunity has been lost, by implementing the least cost effective method.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Looking forward to the day a huge aggregate ship loses power and scythes through the middle of them creating £50m of damage & everyone stand and points and says Nowt we can do (but we're still keeping all of your dosh for building it)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Looking forward to the day a huge aggregate ship loses power and scythes through the middle of them creating £50m of damage & everyone stand and points and says Nowt we can do (but we're still keeping all of your dosh for building it)

As you've already been told more than once, that was answered on page one of this thread.

No idea why you keep banging on about it - unless it's merely a fantasy you have.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Someone is obsessed

A more impolite person would substitute the last word in your statement with the phase "a bit of a tossa".

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This.

Sea lanes are no where near. Just another argument from nimbys or tabloid readers who don't believe that mankind has polluted or adversely affected the atmosphere in any way.

The ships into shoreham harbour cannot pass more than 5 miles away prob nearer 3 miles at the Worthing end. If a 100,000 ton ship loses power, and the tide Is the 'wrong way' what happens next, the lifeboat that tows the failed power boats will be useless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here