Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Would anyone know if Sussex will be playing any games at Arundel this coming season or has that boat left never to return?
Unfortunately not. Nor Horsham, or Eastbourne. :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
V strong batting but simply wont take 20 wickets in enough games when the 'backup' bowlers are playing. I've seen stronger attacks in the sussex league
Yeah, while it will be exciting to see Smith and Pujara in tandem, it would have been good to see a bowler. I'd like to have signed Boland - he'll do well in English conditions

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, while it will be exciting to see Smith and Pujara in tandem, it would have been good to see a bowler. I'd like to have signed Boland - he'll do well in English conditions
Completely appreciate what you’re saying - but come on, how exciting is Smith and Pujara in the same batting line up?

This is Division two we are talking about. This is huge! Appreciate Smith’s a cheat but if he brings us success and back to Division one.. I’m all for it :wink:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Completely appreciate what you’re saying - but come on, how exciting is Smith and Pujara in the same batting line up?

This is Division two we are talking about. This is huge! Appreciate Smith’s a cheat but if he brings us success and back to Division one.. I’m all for it :wink:
He’ll be here to get batting practice. 3 matches ain’t gonna get us promoted

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Tbh, I will not find it that exciting seeing Smith in our batting lineup. Maybe a year or two ago when we were so thin but now we have talented batters like Haines, Orr, Alsop, Carter and Clark.

We don't have any exciting wicket takers that can bowl a spell you can't take your eyes off, let alone take wickets.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
He’ll be here to get batting practice. 3 matches ain’t gonna get us promoted
Yep, very clever move but I’m more Sussex than England, so that parts fine by me.

Hearing 2 home games, and 2 away games so potentially 4. If he performs (he’s quite literally one of the best red-ball batsman in the world) and we win 3 or so those 4 games it will certainly help us get promoted.

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Yep, very clever move but I’m more Sussex than England, so that parts fine by me.

Hearing 2 home games, and 2 away games so potentially 4. If he performs (he’s quite literally one of the best red-ball batsman) in the world and we win 3 or so those 4 games it will certainly help us get promoted.
The only trouble is that we still need to take 20 wickets if we want to win games.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Tbh, I will not find it that exciting seeing Smith in our batting lineup. Maybe a year or two ago when we were so thin but now we have talented batters like Haines, Orr, Alsop, Carter and Clark.

We don't have any exciting wicket takers that can bowl a spell you can't take your eyes off, let alone take wickets.
Again. I get the needing a bowler part.. but if having Steve Smith playing for Sussex isn’t exciting .. I’ll agree to disagree. But we’ll agree on one thing ..We all want Sussex to do well.

Let’s see what the season brings. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

We have had some really wonderful players at Sussex over the years who have committed to a single or several seasons. Not sure a month or two of Smith is just some kind of smokescreen for all the crap that Andrew has presided over..Will it be enough to challenge seriously for a trophy ? I doubt it.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
We have had some really wonderful players at Sussex over the years who have committed to a single or several seasons. Not sure a month or two of Smith is just some kind of smokescreen for all the crap that Andrew has presided over..Will it be enough to challenge seriously for a trophy ? I doubt it.
All the time Andrew is running the show absolutely no chance. Hence my minor excitement about signing Smith.

We’re going nowhere … anytime soon.

Unless Karvelas performs with a red ball as he performs with a white ball, then maybe .. just maybe we might nick promotion?

Forgive me for clutching at straws, I just want success again.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
All the time Andrew is running the show absolutely no chance. Hence my minor excitement about signing Smith.

We’re going nowhere … anytime soon.

Unless Karvelas performs with a red ball as he performs with a white ball, then maybe .. just maybe we might nick promotion?

Forgive me for clutching at straws, I just want success again.
Conscious to know why you are laying the blame at Rob Andrew’s door? The club is now in a financially stable position, the only county not to operate at a loss all at a time when huge investment going into the on-site development. We’ve still attracted some top level players and arguably have some of the most exciting young talent coming through alongside a horrible injury list and players representing England.

I don’t get the Andrew haters, same as I don’t get the Greenfield haters who actually put his faith and belief into the younger crop that are coming through and no doubt will only improve and develop this season.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Conscious to know why you are laying the blame at Rob Andrew’s door? The club is now in a financially stable position, the only county not to operate at a loss all at a time when huge investment going into the on-site development. We’ve still attracted some top level players and arguably have some of the most exciting young talent coming through alongside a horrible injury list and players representing England.

I don’t get the Andrew haters, same as I don’t get the Greenfield haters who actually put his faith and belief into the younger crop that are coming through and no doubt will only improve and develop this season.
As a Sussex fan I’d say …
Check what the club were doing 20 years ago and what they was offering members.
Compared to now. I’m not referring to winning trophies, by the way.

£1000 lifetime memberships? Ha! Gone.

I’m often out the County Ground post-tea not because I’m tight, but because of work when it’s free. Lucky if there is 500 folk there most days. If that.

Correct me if I’m wrong but can’t Hampshire, Essex, Surrey & Kent members come to the County Ground for free? We have to pay £10 to get into their grounds?

That suggests to me they pay us some form of fee but we don’t pay them. I may be wrong.

The club no longer run trips to four day away games either as they once did… again correct me if I’m wrong.

Credit to Andrew though, once he’s finally f***ed off.. I’ll remember him best for upping the T20 Blast pass from £99 for 7 games to £30 per game (over a 100% increase). Oh and that email begging supporters to donate their £99 to the club as COVID hit.

I’ll assume you will prove a lot of the above wrong given you must be IN with the club given your showing off of the Pakistani signing.

Either way I’ll be following this Cricket club until my death bed a lot longer than Andrew will be around.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So we might score ridiculous amounts of runs, but not be able to get any wickets.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As a Sussex fan I’d say …
Check what the club were doing 20 years ago and what they was offering members.
Compared to now. I’m not referring to winning trophies, by the way.

£1000 lifetime memberships? Ha! Gone.

I’m often out the County Ground post-tea not because I’m tight, but because of work when it’s free. Lucky if there is 500 folk there most days. If that.

Correct me if I’m wrong but can’t Hampshire, Essex, Surrey & Kent members come to the County Ground for free? We have to pay £10 to get into their grounds?

That suggests to me they pay us some form of fee but we don’t pay them. I may be wrong.

The club no longer run trips to four day away games either as they once did… again correct me if I’m wrong.

Credit to Andrew though, once he’s finally f***ed off.. I’ll remember him best for upping the T20 Blast pass from £99 for 7 games to £30 per game (over a 100% increase). Oh and that email begging supporters to donate their £99 to the club as COVID hit.

I’ll assume you will prove a lot of the above wrong given you must be IN with the club given your showing off of the Pakistani signing.

Either way I’ll be following this Cricket club until my death bed a lot longer than Andrew will be around.
Don’t forget his total lack of comms with members, both face to face at matches and responding to emails, the alleged poor treatment of Ben Brown and Luke Wells and the claim that senior players were happy to take a pay cut to play elsewhere.

Some of this might be down to Salisbury but overall it’s down to the culture at the club, starting at the top.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here