Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’m off to Sophia Gardens tomorrow, not expecting much to be honest.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Every now and again a little ray of hope. An excellent and patient maiden century made today by 20 year old Oli Carter as we finished an attritional day at 245 for 7. Great to see.

To be fair to Sussex, they've backed youth and in the past year we've seen centuries from Orr, Clark and Carter (and should have been one from Ibrahim but he had a brain fade) - all of these are 21 or under. The batting isn't at all bad - it's the bowling that's lacking. I certainly can't see us bowling a team out twice, not without Robbo anyway.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
To be fair to Sussex, they've backed youth and in the past year we've seen centuries from Orr, Clark and Carter (and should have been one from Ibrahim but he had a brain fade) - all of these are 21 or under. The batting isn't at all bad - it's the bowling that's lacking. I certainly can't see us bowling a team out twice, not without Robbo anyway.

Fair point but who are these players looking to for guidance? The players you mention and many others must wonder what it feels like to win a first class match. Who is mentoring them? Too many loanees for a couple of games who are here cos they’re not wanted at their home club.

The academies should take credit for developing the youngsters. Not sure where Salisbury and Kirtley fit in with their progress.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The academies should take credit for developing the youngsters. Not sure where Salisbury and Kirtley fit in with their progress.

TBF to Kirts, my son has had him as a bowling coach for the last 3 years since he was 12 & got into the Pathway/EPP with Sussex, and James is very hands on with his progress (going into BACA early before school starts for sessions etc) & especially so now hes in the Academy. My lad has to fill in his bowling workload every day and send it to James to monitor as well. Yes there are other coaches involved with the junior setup but, in general, the Academy lads are looked after by the same coaches, the same S&C coaches, & the same medical staff as the Pros, and they train with / around the first team players - in the nets, on the field, and in the gym on a weekly basis.

* I will just add that now Mike Yardy has taken on the role of Academy Director, he is primarily the one behind where the Academy boys are, what they do for training, & when - but James is still very much involved on the coaching front as well. The whole ethos of the Academy is to integrate the boys as best as possible over a couple of years so that its not such a huge leap into the unknown should they be lucky enough to sign pro terms.

Last edited:

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I don't understand. We had Atkin and Finn in the match squad, so why did we need to bring in a 38-year-old loanee who is no longer the bowler he was (else he wouldn't be at Sussex now)?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011

Good point about the youngsters, but how many will want to hang around once they are established? We are becoming a feeder county to just about anyone. I worry about the future as I like to see my club trying to improve.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is this the most toothless bowling "attack" we have ever fielded?

Ever?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Is this the most toothless bowling "attack" we have ever fielded?

Ever?

I only go back to mid 80s, and we had some poor teams In the mid 90s.
But to answer your question…yes.
Fielding that attack guaranteed we had no chance of winning the game.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Lovely day at the cricket, our bowlers are innocuous. They’re trying their best, just not up to it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good coverage from the Glamorgan cameras. There's a right Sussex miseryguts all over the chat though ....................

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Was about 75% full I'd say, good atmosphere 'til the wheels fell off.
They gave away a lot of free tickets. 3 each to kids in the "pathway" - which was an excellent idea given sluggish sales (and how much those families pay for the privilege of spending more money buying kit with the martlets on....).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Was Finn doing drinks?
Sorry I didn’t notice who was carrying the drinks. I did see Sarah Taylor (I think it was her) doing some wicket keeping coaching on the outfield at lunch though if that helps.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Well, having set Glamorgan what looked a mere cakewalk 141 to win, Sussex have actually got ‘em on the ropes at 10-3.

Could we actually pull off a strong result?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here