Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fair enough if you think fans haven't learn the words because they're too thick, but I believe they haven't learned the words because they're dated and few people can relate to them.

Print them in the programme, put on them on the big screen, but I don't think football fans will ever sing about their gay hearts and merry bugles

Perhaps we'll just stick to "der der der der der.... and we're going up to win the cup..." then eh

I hear lots of kids singing along to some gangsta rapper, from downtown L.A., I always wonder how white, british, middle class teenagers relate to him, must have very similar life experiences

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Sussex by the sea

There is no way I will learn all that! That's way too much. Are you mad?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I hear lots of kids singing along to some gangsta rapper, from downtown L.A., I always wonder how white, british, middle class teenagers relate to him, must have very similar life experiences

LA is in West Sussex dude :thumbsup:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I think there's too much agonising about this. May be people should know the words as its our 'anthem' but let's face it, its a bit longer or more complicated than 'Play Up Pompey'. So I'm not too bothered about how its sung. I can only just remember the 1st verse, and this is someone who has the full sheet music at home. But - just as the FA Cup final programme has (or had - from memory) the words to 'Abide with me' printed in it, surely we could find space to fit the words to 1st verse and chorus in each programme. That would be enough, and it gives everyone the choice/chance to sing along if they want, or do the usual mumbling. I'm relaxed about the gay/bugles/farming references, as it links us to the original reason for the song and the main economic heritage of our home county.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They may not be the exact words, but I can share with you the words I have always sung.

As I'm usually alone in singing the full verses, I'm set in my ways and I'm not changing them. I won't be Druv!

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Onto the merry bugle
Guiding us on our way
So sing out loud, let voices ring
Whoever you may be
And we'll sing you a song as we march along
For Sussex by the Sea

Good old Sussex by the sea
You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall for Sussex by the sea

We're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea
We plough and mow and reap and sow and useful men are we
So if you come from Sussex
Whoever you may be
You can tell them all that we'll fight or fall for Sussex by the sea

You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall for Sussex by the sea

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think there's too much agonising about this. May be people should know the words as its our 'anthem' but let's face it, its a bit longer or more complicated than 'Play Up Pompey'. So I'm not too bothered about how its sung. I can only just remember the 1st verse, and this is someone who has the full sheet music at home. But - just as the FA Cup final programme has (or had - from memory) the words to 'Abide with me' printed in it, surely we could find space to fit the words to 1st verse and chorus in each programme. That would be enough, and it gives everyone the choice/chance to sing along if they want, or do the usual mumbling. I'm relaxed about the gay/bugles/farming references, as it links us to the original reason for the song and the main economic heritage of our home county.

Excactly, it is about Sussex at the time our club was formed, personally I think, apart from it being unique to us, this is another reason to leave it be

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Most fans who sing the proper version will have learnt the first verse , chorus and refrain off by heart when they were younger , I don't remember learning the additional verses by rote and would certainly need the words in front of me for the supplementary verses.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Mrs Blue3 and I always sing the following at the start and half time
More often than not we are the only ones in WSL until the O Sussex by the sea kicks in

we are the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we;
And when you go to Sussex, whoever you may be,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea!
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
You may tell them all we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Cos we're going up and we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Two problems:-

1 As many SBTS singers will have noticed, the pitch on the Amex playout version (B Flat) is too high to be sung by adult male voices without changing gear to a lower pitch as early on as the fifth line.

2 Any gay-hearted Albion fans singing SBTS in a group spontaneously always, but ALWAYS, start their der-der-de-derrs too high. As a result, they're soon forced into changing key, so as to accommodate the song's highest note: "Oh we're GO-ing up..." So, regardless of how they started, they'll usually end up in E Flat.

Getting SBTS right en masse at the Amex isn't really that hard. But it's not just a matter of the fans learning a verse or two. The playout recording needs to be downshifted to a lower key. Make that E Flat - the fans' natural key of choice - and everyone will be happy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Two problems:-

1 As many SBTS singers will have noticed, the pitch on the Amex playout version (B Flat) is too high to be sung by adult male voices without changing gear to a lower pitch as early on as the fifth line.

2 Any gay-hearted Albion fans singing SBTS in a group spontaneously always, but ALWAYS, start their der-der-de-derrs too high. As a result, they're soon forced into changing key, so as to accommodate the song's highest note: "Oh we're GO-ing up..." So, regardless of how they started, they'll usually end up in E Flat.

Getting SBTS right en masse at the Amex isn't really that hard. But it's not just a matter of the fans learning a verse or two. The playout recording needs to be downshifted to a lower key. Make that E Flat - the fans' natural key of choice - and everyone will be happy.

You mean like this:

If we could sound like this at the Amex it would be great.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
You mean like this:

If we could sound like this at the Amex it would be great.
Yes, that one's been doing the rounds for years. The Hussars veterans still belt it out, and their own words are quite interesting, and quite rude too - as perhaps you already know!

But notice how gruffly the squaddies have to sing, in order to accommodate the B Flat key. The kids at the Amex could never do that. Nor should they need to. Transpose to E Flat and all will be well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, that one's been doing the rounds for years. The Hussars veterans still belt it out, and their own words are quite interesting, and quite rude too - as perhaps you already know!

But notice how gruffly the squaddies have to sing, in order to accommodate the B Flat key. The kids at the Amex could never do that. Nor should they need to. Transpose to E Flat and all will be well.

First time I have seen this and I haven't got a clue on what they are singing. Is there a link to their lyrics I am curious now?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The lyrics to Sussex By the sea are pretty old fashioned and irrelevant nowadays. When you sing things like "we are the men", "let your hearts be gay", "lightly he goes a wooing" and "a solider boy is the ladies' joy" it comes out as a bit shit.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I am heartened by the improvement in both singing and clapping along with GOSBTS is recent months... I think we are on a steadily improving trend.

However, I'm sorry but I just cannot agree with Eb.

In Bb, the range for the verse 'Now is the time...' and the chorus that are played at the Amex, is from Bb to the D an octave and major third above. This is the prime range for most male voices.

In Eb it would be impossibly low at the start (low Eb)... or ridiculously high at the finish (high G)... or involve an unconvincing octave shift somewhere in the middle.

Bb is just fine - as the Hussars prove... it just needs to be sung with COMMITMENT and GUSTO!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here