Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely palace can't...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We are on a very bad run, luckily Brighton have never had to endure that. It's all rosy down there at the moment, those that laugh last......

We're not laughing at your bad run (okay, we are. It's hilarious) but the point being made here is about the Palace fans' hubris. It's quite tragic.

Gotta love though the disjoint in the logic employed in justifying this position. Apparently a run in form early in the season is PROOF that Palace are a top side whereas a collapse of form of epic proportions since Christmas is a temporary thing, not to be taken as an indicator of how good they really are.

I tell you what, let's be crazy for a minute and add that good form and the bad form together, let's call it a season and then compare how you've done against other sides in the same league. Maybe even rank every team according to wins, draws and losses and see where you sit? Shoot me down in flames but I reckon you'd be about 16th in the league. Just a stab in the dark, mind you.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Going one win out of 700 games, or whatever it is now, is not a bad run. It's not a blip. It's not a dip in form. That is being utter dogshit. Hope this helps.

Let's see how you get on, if you come up. The team is not dogshit, it did not suddenly get worse overnight. Let's hope Brighton can come up, I would genuinely like to see how you get on.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Maybe the Palace over achieved at the start of the season and you are a bottom six club. Credit where it is due you have had some great results but you can't continue playing games with such little possession. I spoke to a Palace STH who has been going for years and he says it's not pleasing on the eye to watch them at home and a total lack of entertainment.
I hear lots of anti Pardew rumblings in my local pub which if I'm honest I am quite enjoying. Have a good day at Wembley.

We were playing like we were in our promotion season, attacking fast football. Now we seem to hit and hope, it's not entertaining in the slightest. The only thing we were lacking in the first half of the season was a consistent goalscorer, to solve this we sold Murray and brought in Adebayor :shootself
We were playing very well, God knows what changed because I certainly don't have a clue. Something is not right, there is talk that Pardew has an improved contract waiting to be signed. That does not fill me with confidence.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Maybe the Palace over achieved at the start of the season and you are a bottom six club. Credit where it is due you have had some great results but you can't continue playing games with such little possession. I spoke to a Palace STH who has been going for years and he says it's not pleasing on the eye to watch them at home and a total lack of entertainment.
I hear lots of anti Pardew rumblings in my local pub which if I'm honest I am quite enjoying. Have a good day at Wembley.

We were playing like we were in our promotion season, attacking fast football. Now we seem to hit and hope, it's not entertaining in the slightest. The only thing we were lacking in the first half of the season was a consistent goalscorer, to solve this we sold Murray and brought in Adebayor :shootself
We were playing very well, God knows what changed because I certainly don't have a clue. Something is not right, there is talk that Pardew has an improved contract waiting to be signed. That does not fill me with confidence.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's see how you get on, if you come up. The team is not dogshit, it did not suddenly get worse overnight. Let's hope Brighton can come up, I would genuinely like to see how you get on.

Note: I didn't say your team was dogshit (although both you and I know some elements of it actually are), I said you'd been dogshit. Again, you know that to be true.

Should we come up, we'll be in the same position as every other Championship side having their first promotion to the Premier League for years (or ever). It will be a frightful battle for survival. We'll spend more on players than we ever have done before. Some may turn out to be mercenaries and dreadful, yet happy to sit around picking up £X0,000 per week and you'll take the piss. No one with any degree of sanity would suggest otherwise.

That's not what's going on here though is it?

You've got one of the most unlikeable managers in football who was crowing to all and sundry that you were heading for Europe this year. He sold Glenn Murray and brought in Adebayor. He played pub-level 'keepers and left hero Speroni, once fit, rotting.

Your owners partly sold out to some Yanks who had to wait for ever, give or take, for their new team to finally win a game.

For a lot of people watching, it has been mildly amusing. For us, particularly, it has been an utter delight.

No, it doesn't change the fact that you are in the Premier League and we're not. No, it doesn't change the fact that you have gazillions of pounds and we don't. No, it doesn't change the play-offs horror you inflicted upon us.

But it's still been ****ing funny.

The icing on the cake will be you making it to the Cup Final and getting destroyed by Manchester United. Fingers crossed.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
We're not laughing at your bad run (okay, we are. It's hilarious) but the point being made here is about the Palace fans' hubris. It's quite tragic.

Gotta love though the disjoint in the logic employed in justifying this position. Apparently a run in form early in the season is PROOF that Palace are a top side whereas a collapse of form of epic proportions since Christmas is a temporary thing, not to be taken as an indicator of how good they really are.

I tell you what, let's be crazy for a minute and add that good form and the bad form together, let's call it a season and then compare how you've done against other sides in the same league. Maybe even rank every team according to wins, draws and losses and see where you sit? Shoot me down in flames but I reckon you'd be about 16th in the league. Just a stab in the dark, mind you.

:lolol:

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Note: I didn't say your team was dogshit (although both you and I know some elements of it actually are), I said you'd been dogshit. Again, you know that to be true.

Should we come up, we'll be in the same position as every other Championship side having their first promotion to the Premier League for years (or ever). It will be a frightful battle for survival. We'll spend more on players than we ever have done before. Some may turn out to be mercenaries and dreadful, yet happy to sit around picking up £X0,000 per week and you'll take the piss. No one with any degree of sanity would suggest otherwise.

That's not what's going on here though is it?

You've got one of the most unlikeable managers in football who was crowing to all and sundry that you were heading for Europe this year. He sold Glenn Murray and brought in Adebayor. He played pub-level 'keepers and left hero Speroni, once fit, rotting.

Your owners partly sold out to some Yanks who had to wait for ever, give or take, for their new team to finally win a game.

For a lot of people watching, it has been mildly amusing. For us, particularly, it has been an utter delight.

No, it doesn't change the fact that you are in the Premier League and we're not. No, it doesn't change the fact that you have gazillions of pounds and we don't. No, it doesn't change the play-offs horror you inflicted upon us.

But it's still been ****ing funny.

The icing on the cake will be you making it to the Cup Final and getting destroyed by Manchester United. Fingers crossed.

I agree with most of that, I don't like Pardew personally. Most footballers/managers have big egos, but he takes it to an extreme. Don't agree about the final though, I would rather make it to one and not win. Than not make it at all.
Just hope you come up though, as Hughton is a very good manager and you have got yourself some good players.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
God knows what changed because I certainly don't have a clue.

Maybe other teams worked out how to stop you playing and Pardew has no plan B? Maybe the referee's decided to stop giving free-kicks when your players fall over at the slightest breeze? maybe your lack of goalscorer finally came home to roost? maybe Adebayor is batshit crazy and has ruined any team spirit you had..... who knows?!?!

It's just been funny to watch.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thank you for your insight. Look on the bright side, we have more chance of being there next year than Brighton.

You're welcome, always happy to point out the glaringly obvious.

I've had a fantastic time watching Brighton this season and even if we don't go up we will have overachieved and another season in an extremely competitive league beckons whereas this season for Palace for all your boasts you know you've found your level as a mediocre PL club. If we do go up well that would be amazing, we'd probably be worse than you but the very thought of us in the Premier League is something you all hate. I'm struggling to see a down side to be honest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just hope you come up though, as Hughton is a very good manager and you have got yourself some good players.

Hughton is a good, honourable man. He's almost the anti-Pardew.

Finishing ahead of three of Burnley, Derby, Hull and Middlesbrough was always going to be difficult for anyone, and it may ultimately prove beyond us. Maybe we'll get a lucky break in the play-offs instead this time. Maybe we'll get to the play-offs, lose again and you lot will be laughing all Summer long.

One aspect of promotion to the Premier League that makes me slightly uncomfortable is how some of our players won't be able to step up. You see it at many clubs, and I guess it's just part of football evolution. Those who gave their all to help propel a club to the dizzying heights of the Premier League are replaced by others deemed more up to the task.

Should we make that jump up, I hope that as a club and fans we remain dignified towards those players.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
You're welcome, always happy to point out the glaringly obvious.

I've had a fantastic time watching Brighton this season and even if we don't go up we will have overachieved and another season in an extremely competitive league beckons whereas this season for Palace for all your boasts you know you've found your level as a mediocre PL club. If we do go up well that would be amazing, we'd probably be worse than you but the very thought of us in the Premier League is something you all hate. I'm struggling to see a down side to be honest.

That's where you are wrong, I for one would like to see it. We are rubbish at the moment so the six points would come in handy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
16 Crystal Palace 35 -9 39
17 Norwich 34 -25 31
------------------------------------------
18 Sunderland 33 -18 30
19 Newcastle 34 -26 29

23/4
Liverpool v Newcastle

24/4
Sunderland v Arsenal

30/4
Newcastle v Crystal Palace
Stoke v Sunderland
Arsenal v Norwich

7/5
Aston Villa v Newcastle
Norwich v Man Utd
Crystal Palace v Stoke
Sunderland v Chelsea

11/5
Norwich v Watford
Sunderland v Everton

15/5
Everton v Norwich
Newcastle v Spurs
Southampton v Crystal Palace
Watford v Sunderland

Looking at that lot, Newcastle will get 8 points at best. Norwich might get 9 points with a fair wind.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

So the good run is the truth and the bad run is the lie? Ok then.

You are aware you are employing the logic of a 6 year old at the moment? Just stop mate.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Hughton is a good, honourable man. He's almost the anti-Pardew.

Finishing ahead of three of Burnley, Derby, Hull and Middlesbrough was always going to be difficult for anyone, and it may ultimately prove beyond us. Maybe we'll get a lucky break in the play-offs instead this time. Maybe we'll get to the play-offs, lose again and you lot will be laughing all Summer long.

One aspect of promotion to the Premier League that makes me slightly uncomfortable is how some of our players won't be able to step up. You see it at many clubs, and I guess it's just part of football evolution. Those who gave their all to help propel a club to the dizzying heights of the Premier League are replaced by others deemed more up to the task.

Should we make that jump up, I hope that as a club and fans we remain dignified towards those players.

Don't bet on it, look at Bournemouth. The players they bought were injured and even Wilson was injured. But there players stepped up. It's amazing what the chance of playing on a bigger stage and thousands of pounds pay rise can do. I actually felt we were disloyal to some of our players in not giving them a chance. It's all very well having good players but unless they can play as a team then its pointless.
I feel speroni has been treated badly this year, as was Murray. Though I don't know the ins and outs of that deal, he may have wanted to go.

I have a love hate relationship with the premier league. If you feel your games are messed about now then wait until you get up here. Watching the best players is all well and good, but knowing that someone who plays for your team earns in two weeks what you earnt last year is subduing to say the least. Also knowing you are only ever playing for survival, an unlikely FA cup win. Or maybe, just maybe a Europa league spot.

Having said all that a team like Leicester come along and restore your faith in the romance of football a bit. Until next season that is when their team is either decimated or they are all put on stupidly large contracts.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Oh really? So when you say...."Look on the bright side, we have more chance of being there next year than Brighton." you don't really mean that at all?

Interesting.

Well from my point of view, it's pretty bloody obvious is it not. If you are going to try and pick apart my posts, at least put a bit more thought into them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well from my point of view, it's pretty bloody obvious is it not. If you are going to try and pick apart my posts, at least put a bit more thought into them.

No matey. If you are going to post opinions, try not to make them contradictory. Or just don't post...your choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here