Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support AMEX expansion - E-petition

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Get used to queuing or go support Crawley. Get over yourself.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Albion's best home gate remains the 37,000 approx v Fulham in 58/59.when the average attendance was,spookily,22,460.

Our best average attendance was in 77/78 with 25,264.

In 79/80 it was 24,800,in a league at Premier level.

Of course,average attendances are boosted by "big" games,and to have 30,000 seats on some occasions would be a winner.But often there would be Riverside spaces and plenty of spare tickets.Having the seats available is totally different to seats sold,so the impact on public transport or indeed any transport might be marginal,and if the team isn't winning the transport problem might cease to exist.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The biggest worry for me with stadium expansion is that our gates might actually decrease. The current restricted capacity of 20,000 home fans means that BHA are a hot ticket and we sell lots of season tickets. With 27,000 home seats, the pressure to buy a season ticket will fall meaning relatively low gates for lesser matches if the team isn't performing.

Obviously the transport situation isn't 100% perfect, but things are being addressed. The addition of bendy buses seems to be reducing the P&R waiting time, and you'd hope people are getting into their own routines now. The Bennett's field car park is a joke though. To be honest, I'd reduce space for cars, and encourage more coaches from all over the city to use it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think some of you are missing the point. You're all committed Albion fans and you all make comments along the lines of "well so what if we have to queue for an extra five minutes? It's much worse at Arsenal, Chelsea, wherever". The 'queuing to get out of the ground' isn't the real impact of the extra seats; it's the extra traffic coming into Brighton, the extra traffic trying to get into Mill Road and the other P&R sites, the extra traffic driving around Coldean etc looking for a place to park, the extra traffic driving up the sliproad either to park or drop people off, also it's the additional people on the standard bus and train services. That has an impact far beyond a few committed bobblehats having to wait a bit longer for a train. That's why non-football people are rightly concerned and why Brimmermusic's post is one of the few sensible ones on this thread.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
There are by far worse grounds to get away from than the Amex.....West Ham etc. If a few thousand extra people are going to stop you going to an Albion match, perhaps you better go and support Lewes etc. Or maybe you are not that bothered anyway? Considering the amount of Park and ride and lack of parking, I think the Albion have done really well and once people have got their heads round not being able to drive right up to the door step, I think most people are ok. Bring on more fans which equals more success etc.

This.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think some of you are missing the point. You're all committed Albion fans and you all make comments along the lines of "well so what if we have to queue for an extra five minutes? It's much worse at Arsenal, Chelsea, wherever". The 'queuing to get out of the ground' isn't the real impact of the extra seats; it's the extra traffic coming into Brighton, the extra traffic trying to get into Mill Road and the other P&R sites, the extra traffic driving around Coldean etc looking for a place to park, the extra traffic driving up the sliproad either to park or drop people off, also it's the additional people on the standard bus and train services. That has an impact far beyond a few committed bobblehats having to wait a bit longer for a train. That's why non-football people are rightly concerned and why Brimmermusic's post is one of the few sensible ones on this thread.

I don't agree Brovion, going by your reasons, we should cancel Pride, pop concerts, any of the seafront events throughout the summer, Christmas and anything that might bring extra traffic into town. There could be a few more park and ride places etc etc. I think the only problems concerning queuing is the evening games, but again, this happens at most games in the top two divisions.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
. The 'queuing to get out of the ground' isn't the real impact of the extra seats; it's the extra traffic coming into Brighton, the extra traffic trying to get into Mill Road and the other P&R sites, the extra traffic driving around Coldean etc looking for a place to park, the extra traffic driving up the sliproad either to park or drop people off, also it's the additional people on the standard bus and train services. That has an impact far beyond a few committed bobblehats having to wait a bit longer for a train. That's why non-football people are rightly concerned and why Brimmermusic's post is one of the few sensible ones on this thread.

Ever driven down the Fulham Road on a NON football day at the Bridge? Ever driven down the Seven Sisters Road on a NON football day at White Hart Lane? Ever driven down the Holloway Road on a NON football day at the Emirates? I can assure you the traffic problems around the area are ten fold on NON football days and exacerbated 5-10 fold on match days compared to Brighton and outlying areas. There is a real village mentality around this issue when it comes to cosy little Sussex. Get over it, you have no idea how bloody lucky you are down there for congestion compared with my London example. I think so long as people stick with their village mentality the club will get nowhere. Brimmermusic's post is sensible in YOUR opinion!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right now it's pretty easy getting to and from the Amex. There were the obvious teething problems, and no doubt there is still room for improvement, and we should try and help the club find ways of speeding things up. With another 8000 seats there will be some days where it takes longer to get to the ground, which will be more than made up for by the amazing sight of 30k at our home. But there will also be days where we have few more than go now, and on those days we'll find it's actually quicker to get to and from the ground, due to the improved transport that will be created.

I just can't see the downside to more seats. My only concern is if we manage to be successful we may end up wishing we hadn't limited the stadium to thirty something thousand.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't agree Brovion, going by your reasons, we should cancel Pride, pop concerts, any of the seafront events throughout the summer, Christmas and anything that might bring extra traffic into town. There could be a few more park and ride places etc etc. I think the only problems concerning queuing is the evening games, but again, this happens at most games in the top two divisions.

Ever driven down the Fulham Road on a NON football day at the Bridge? Ever driven down the Seven Sisters Road on a NON football day at White Hart Lane? Ever driven down the Holloway Road on a NON football day at the Emirates? I can assure you the traffic problems around the area are ten fold on NON football days and exacerbated 5-10 fold on match days compared to Brighton and outlying areas. There is a real village mentality around this issue when it comes to cosy little Sussex. Get over it, you have no idea how bloody lucky you are down there for congestion compared with my London example. I think so long as people stick with their village mentality the club will get nowhere. Brimmermusic's post is sensible in YOUR opinion!
You've still both missed the point. Traffic's busy in London and Brighton, (tell me something we don't know) for all sorts of reasons. However when there is a match at the Amex, apart from people who live there, it is THE sole reason to go to the area. It's also THE sole reason to drive to the P&R sites. People are concernd about a potential 35% increase in traffic in these areas whereas you're still thinking simply as a football fans.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011

I agree, roads get busy. Rush hour traffic is a nightmare in a lot of places, that happens every day but roads aren't constantly widened, people deal with it. Extra traffic on match days is a minor problem in comparison to our countries infrastructure.

You've still both missed the point. Traffic's busy in London and Brighton, (tell me something we don't know) for all sorts of reasons. However when there is a match at the Amex, apart from people who live there, it is THE sole reason to go to the area. It's also THE sole reason to drive to the P&R sites. People are concernd about a potential 35% increase in traffic in these areas whereas you're still thinking simply as a football fans.

So your point is because the Amex is an easily identified source it should be punished?

Then there's the argument that goes "why not just put more buses on the routes to Falmer?" This ignores the fact that there are more than 150,000 non-football related bus journeys a day being made in Brighton and Hove. Are those people not entitled to some consideration?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here