Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support Acts At Concerts

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I remember seeing an excellent support act for The Black Crows at Brixton Academy but was a bit messy and never found out who they were, About 8 months later a mate said you have to listen to this Album Urbun Hymes by a band called the Verve, I then realised they were the support act I had previously raged about

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anthrax supporting Metaliica at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the late 80s was pretty amazing. I think it was on the Puppets tour.

But, as a regular gig goer of over 25 years I've seen a lot of great support bands. Some known, others who went on to be big.

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
Saw "the godfather of soul" Mr James Brown, support The Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hyde Park, although he was so out of it, im not sure he knew he was a support act!!

Also saw, My Chemical Romance and Biffy Clyro support Muse at Wembley!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I am Kloot at a Turin Brakes gig in Bristol........ that got me hooked on them ever since.

T'Pau supporting Bryan Adams at Wembley Arena. Only thought of them as a band who had released a few successful singles but they were extremely good live.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Faith No More supporting Guns n Roses at Wembley Stadium early 1990's
Think I was the only person in attendance not wearing heavy metal clobber
Faith No More were pretty special

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
I remember seeing an excellent support act for The Black Crows at Brixton Academy but was a bit messy and never found out who they were, About 8 months later a mate said you have to listen to this Album Urbun Hymes by a band called the Verve, I then realised they were the support act I had previously raged about

I saw The Black Crowes open for The Dogs D'Amour at The Astoria. I think it was their first ever UK gig and they were awesome.

A recent one was The Virginmarys supporting The Union. Brilliant band, they deserve to be big.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
reverand and the makers, supporting happy mondays...........mondays were pretty shit as expected!!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Went to see The Buzzcocks at the Lyceum in London in 1979.
Let's not bother with the support act we said; let's have a couple of beers before the main band come on. I've regretted that decision ever since.
The support band were a then little known Manchester band called Joy Division :shootself.

Best support: Xmal Deutschland (German Goths) supporting The Stranglers in 1987 or 1988 :rock:
Worst support: Chris de Burgh supporting Cockney Rebel at Brighton Dome in the mid-1970s :shit::sick:

Jul 30, 2011
London
Went to see The Buzzcocks at the Lyceum in London in 1979.
Let's not bother with the support act we said; let's have a couple of beers before the main band come on. I've regretted that decision ever since.
The support band were a then little known Manchester band called Joy Division :shootself.

Best support: Xmal Deutschland (German Goths) supporting The Stranglers in 1987 or 1988 :rock:
Worst support: Chris de Burgh supporting Cockney Rebel at Brighton Dome in the mid-1970s :shit::sick:

LOL Chris de Burgh!!? Cockney Rebel must have a f***ing strange sense of humour!

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
Biffy Clyro supported Foo Fighters, mind you Jam Brown supported The Chilis.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What did you think?

For me, having waited many years to see Darius Rucker live, I was in no way disappointed. The man has an awesome voice and I loved how he sprinkled his country stuff with some great HaTB songs (Let Her Cry, Hold My Hand, Only Wanna Be With You). I also thought his covers of Hank Jr's "Family Tradition" and Oasis' "Champagne Supernova" worked really well. I would pay to see him in concert in his own right, no doubt of it.

As for Brad Paisley himself, I had high hopes having seen him at Shepherd's Bush last year and he still blew them out of the water. A great setlist, mixing the big ones with a few nods towards his more long standing fans (Long Sermon, I'm Gonna Miss Her). He has a great voice, he's a genuinely brilliant guitarist and it's all done with just the right amount of personality and humour (as evidenced by his British accent in the middle of "I'm Still A Guy"). He loves what he does, and it really shows through in his performances. The video backdrops are worth commenting on too, the "Celebrity" and "The Good, The Brad & The Ugly" bits were very funny, and there were some classy touches with the Norwegian flags/flowers at the end of "When I Get Where I'm Going" and the addition of the Union Flag with the Stars & Stripes in the middle of "This Is Country Music".

Then, to cap it all off, having Ronnie Wood join the fun for the encore, with Darius then coming back to help with "Alcohol"....perfect way to cap off the show. Of course I then got outside and turned my phone back on to find that the Albion had won as well, just to ice the cake that wee bit further. Fantastic night, can't wait to see both Brad and Darius again.

Hi Frutos. Thanks for the invitation. I probably wouldn't have gone if I hadn't seen your post about the show. I've got the last three Brad albums which I really enjoy. Mrs Earle was really take with Darius Hucker, particularly 'Family Tradition' so I am already tasked with finding a suitable CD for her car. I wasn't aware of his music, but I really enjoyed it, although probably not enough to see him again.

Brad was another matter altogether. Having taken nearly four hours to drive up due to the cooking oil spillage on the M25, I needed something special and we really got it. You've said almost all there is to say, but I was thrilled he played 'Eastwood' which I play at least twice each time it comes up on the CD in the car. I enjoy his humour, especially 'Camouflage' and 'Celebrity' (with the great accompanying video). 'Welcome to the Future' was great, but what a showman.

The 'Celebrity' video was brilliant because I felt he recogised some of that in himself. Despite the fine backing band, he was always star of the show, the one who hogged the spotlight, never one of the group. I liked that and really was just blown away by his talent, voice, guitar playing (five guitars in the first five songs) and his presence. Also loved the bit where he sat on the podium in the middle of the auditorium and 'played to 'the cheap seats). We had a great night followed as you say by that brilliant Albion result.

Next up, Steve Earle at the Dome. He doesn't bother too much with showmanship, although hoping it will be a lively night with The Dukes this time. Might also be tempted by Ron Sexsmith at The Komedia if it has't sold out yet. Long Player Late Bloomer is such a lovely album.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Ride supporting The Soup Dragons - Zap 7th Nov 89
Dinosaur Jnr, My Bloody Valentine & Blur supporting Jesus & Mary Chain - Brighton Centre 1/04/92
Radiohead supporting FRank N Walters - East Wing 20/09/92
Autechre supporting Eat Static - East Wing 25/5/94
Spiralhead supporting Eat Static - Event 17/12/94
We Were Promised Jetpacks supporting The Twilight Sad 2009
Friendo supporting Cold Pumas - Hope June 2011

And many more

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Faith No More supporting Guns n Roses at Wembley Stadium early 1990's
Think I was the only person in attendance not wearing heavy metal clobber
Faith No More were pretty special

I had the same experience in 1991 when they were supported by Nine Inch Nails and Skid Row. Me and my mate were the only ones not in black and leather. I got the feeling we were the only ones who has heard of Nine Inch Nails too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here