Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support Acts At Concerts

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've just found out that the support act at a concert I'm going to in couple of weeks is someone I've wanted to see for YEARS in their own right (namely Darius Rucker, of Hootie & The Blowfish fame) but never had the chance, hence I'm now even more excited for the concert itself than I was before.

Have any of you ever been to a concert where the support act has been particularly memorable or has been almost as much an attraction as the 'main event'?

[yt]WB5iDs-kxUw[/yt]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've just found out that the support act at a concert I'm going to in couple of weeks is someone I've wanted to see for YEARS in their own right (namely Darius Rucker, of Hootie & The Blowfish fame) but never had the chance, hence I'm now even more excited for the concert itself than I was before.

Have any of you ever been to a concert where the support act has been particularly memorable or has been almost as much an attraction as the 'main event'?

[yt]WB5iDs-kxUw[/yt]

Not a big fan myself but a friend is massive Hootie fan, and has seen them a couple of times, I'll have to let him know,where is Darius playing and when?

As per the thread title, I went to Man concert (they were fecking shite) but the support band were a Band called O who were excellent but sank without trace I think

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not a big fan myself but a friend is massive Hootie fan, and has seen them a couple of times, I'll have to let him know,where is Darius playing and when?

He's supporting Brad Paisley at the o2 on the 17th of August.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The Magic Numbers supporting Brian Wilson a few years back.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

[yt]WB5iDs-kxUw[/yt]

Yes, I saw the Kaiser Chiefs a few years ago and they were supported by Graham Coxon (awesome) and Japanese band Polysics, who I'd wanted to see for a while.

Back in the 90s I saw up and coming (although they ended up going nowehere) band, Scorpio Rising and Pop Will Eat Itself were supporting secretly as a warm up for their new tour.

Brighton Centre, few years back, Alice Copper was headlining. Motorhead were the main support and blew him off the stage. Having said that, Saxon were pretty hot supporting Motorhead at the Dome not too long after.

Even though festivals shouldn't really count, I saw Guns 'n' Roses (original lineup) was back in 1988 second from bottom on the bill at Donington. Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Ross and Megadeth were all above them on the bill. Only Iron Maiden were worthy of that!

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I saw Rammstein a few years ago on the Reise Reise tour and they were supported by Apocalyptica. I had no idea who they were at the time but they're now one of my favourite bands, I was dead happy with that combo. We're seeing Iron Maiden in a few days and they've got Airbourne supporting which I'm expecting to be pretty good as I've seem them live already and they're pretty damn good. (Not Maiden good of course, but I don't think it's fair to compare bands to Maiden!)

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
the biggest risk in concerts, the opening acts usually a big dissapointment or outstanding...I've been to see many acts listed just as support because I have wanted to see them in their own right. On the other hand, it is quite a nice feeling to come away from a gig having discovered a new talent.

Oct 2, 2008
The Clash at Crawley supported by the Coventry Automatics who were absolutely superb and promptly changed thier name to The Specials. Also remember seeing Elvis Costello in London many years ago , had that great dilemma (watch the support or more beer) so asked the usher who the support was and he replied "some old bloke with a guitar".....turned out to be Nick Lowe.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Yes, I saw the Kaiser Chiefs a few years ago and they were supported by Graham Coxon (awesome) and Japanese band Polysics, who I'd wanted to see for a while.QUOTE]

Yep saw Graham Coxon supporting both Kaiser Chiefs and Hard Fi at the concorde within about 6 months of each other.

Mercury Rev supporting Ride, and also Liam & Noel doing an accoustic support slot for Ocean Colour Scene

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
I can tell you the most disappointing support acy............................. Rick Astley supporting Peter Kay at the 02, WTF

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Hard-Fi & Jimmy Eat World supporting Green day,
Futureheads supporting Foo Fighters all were awesome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here